Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab Penta II volume from PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoMaster4
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
BeoMaster4 Posted: Sun, Apr 14 2013 1:36 PM

Hi guys,

I just acquired a set of Beolab Penta's MKII. I hooked them up to my pc using the line in sockets. When I turn the volume of my PC all the way up (or my ipod's) the sound from the speakers is only at medium'ish volume levels. I got the input level switches on their most sensitive and the mode switch on auto.

My roommate has a set of Beovox penta's hooked up to a regular amp and they play a whole lot louder while his amp is less powerful than the integrated Beolab amp.

Do I need a pre-amplifier for these speakers? Would it make a difference if I connected them using the powerlink inputs?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi BeoMaster4,

use something like this:

http://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=4:udac-2&Itemid=186/

It is a preamp, a USB-DAC (will work wonders) and a headphoneamp as well.

Alternatively this one:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D1

And look for the right cables at Steve's - at the buttom of this side to the right Smile

P.S the Penta MK2's are great loudspeakers - enjoy.

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoMaster4
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
BeoMaster4 replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 10:35 PM

That nuforce preamp looks pretty cool. It comes with a matching price tag though.

If I'm spending that kind of money, I might add another €100 and get a used Beocenter 2300.

I probably want to add a TV to this setup too at some point, so that would give me two sources (PC or TV). Maybe a Beocenter wouldn't be a bad choice. Another added benefit is that my displays will come to life of course :)

For some reason the speakers decided it was time to crank up the volume... They now do put out some serious volume from my PC. Strange... but good!

So they seem to be working quite well now, besides that they don't turn off automatically. They should do that when the mode is set to auto, right? I also tried disconnecting the signal cable since I figured they are staying on because of some noise, but that didn't help. I now have to unplug them to make them turn off. Not ideal...

Hofslagare
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

pre-amplifier would be a good choice.

Good external/internal soundcard to your PC too...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The Nuforce and the Audioengine DAC's ARE external soundcards!

Most built-in internal soundcards are crap.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Hofslagare
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Not internal like that... i mean internal like PCI-Express port internal.

essence
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
essence replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:23 AM
Squeeze a pair of BeoLab 4000s into the bookcase in your study and link them to the music system in the living room, via a BeolinkĀ® 'eye', which responds to your remote control. Whether it's a matter of placement or simple colour co-ordination, BeoLab 4000 turns flexibility into an art form. Placing amplifiers directly in the loudspeakers themselves not only improves sound quality but allows the manufacturer to reduce the cabinet's overall size. The result is a compact loudspeaker that can sit on a shelf, bookcase or hang, at almost any angle, from the wall or ceiling. Available in six vivid colours, BeoLab 4000 is equally at home in a stereo setup, a surround sound system or as superior multimedia speakers for your computer.

Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS