Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 11 - any feedback?

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey Posted: Sun, Mar 25 2012 11:23 AM

I have the option to purchase a couple of discounted ex-demo Beolab 11 subwoofers. However, I've seen mixed opinions on here about how much of a difference they make to an existing setup.

For instance, I'm thinking of pairing a BL11 with my BL3s, connected to a Beosound 4. I'm already very impressed with the rounded sound you get from the BL3s. In my experience of owning BL3s, BL9s and BL5s, in a small-medium sized room, you get a better sound from the BL3s than any other alt speaker (BL9s are better for movies, BL5s for large rooms). Would the addition of a BL11 subwoofer add to this sound?

Ideally I need to borrow a BL11 to test myself.

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 11:57 AM

For small rooms the beolab 11 is perfect.

beolab 2 is NOT good for Music.

Try them at home and you will hear what i mean.

CasperI
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Bronze Member
CasperI replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:17 PM

I think the BL11 is a nice addition to ex a couple of BL3s.  Especially for music.

In my opinion, you don't think "subwoofer" when you hear it. It doesn't sticks out, it just sounds like you got bigger front speakers. 

Of course it is not a bass monster, but really ads a nice bottom end to smaller front speakers.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:38 PM

koning:

beolab 2 is NOT good for Music.

Try them at home and you will hear what i mean.

I know. I had a BL2 for a couple of years. Used it with the BL3s for audio and it lagged. It also "drained" the BL3s which opened up after removing the BL2.

Connected the BL2 to my BL7 and it was great for TV/movies, but I sold it when I bought the BL9s.

That's why I asked about the BL11. Does is genuinely enhance the BL3s (unlike the BL2 which appeared to restrain the BL3s)?

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:39 PM

CasperI:

I think the BL11 is a nice addition to ex a couple of BL3s.  Especially for music.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. It's also reasonable value as an ex-demo unit. I think I'll try and borrow a BL11 and see for myself, this week.

TerryM
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Bronze Member
TerryM replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:59 PM

I am using BL3s in conjunction with a BL11.

I have to admit that my set up is primarily for tv/dvd audio,rather than music,reproduction.

For me,a BL2,with it's 850W output,in a normal domestic environment,would be gross overkill.

My dealer loaned me the BL11 for a week to home demo,and I ended up buying it.

For me,a subwoofer should be subtle in general usage,but have the necessary grunt when called upon,and merge seamlessly with other loudspeakers.

The BL11 accomplishes this with ease with the BL3s.

However,given that a speaker's sound is dependent on it's surrounding environment,one should home demo before buying. 

afcintra
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
afcintra replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 3:32 PM

I also have a BL11 together with a pair of BL3s, which I use mainly for music.

I couldn't be happier with the set up.  The BL11 complements the BL3s in a very subtle but effective manner.  You don't notice the speaker itself but the sound is definitely rounder.

I agree with the others, however, that ideally you should try it in your listening room.

I am almost sure that you will buy the BL11 after listening to the BL3s/BL11 combo.

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Hungedu replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 6:40 PM

I've been thinking about getting a BeoLab 11 to use with my pair of BeoLab 6000 speakers, which I'm currently using in my 10'X10" office attached to an iMac. It might seem like overkill, but I spend a lot of time in there working. I'm assuming this room would be small enough to provide optimal results.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

Harry2008
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Harry2008 replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 8:26 PM

Fully support this. Have the same setup and when I switched of the BL-11 some days ago due to some refurbishing of the house, I immediately missed it. It strengthen the performance of the BL-3's in the lower tones considerably without overdoing.

Also in a smaller room, the BL-11 is sufficient for adding a more pronounced surround system.

As mentioned above, you should try it out yourself as the effectiveness of the BL-11 is depending on where you place it.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 5:21 PM

Dealer dropped off a BL11 this afternoon and (after spending 20 minutes or so getting the screws out of the Beosound 4 base!) it's connected up with the BL3s.

Yes, there's definitely an improvement. Best when the BL11 is configured in mode 3 (corner setting), so it's a subtle bass improvement. I found in mode 2 (wall) it was too bassy and you could feel the vibrations on the wooden floor.

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 7:02 PM

I have a BL 11 too, but haven't had much time to fiddle around with the settings. I currently have it in setting 2, but would like to have more bass, so I will definitly go for setting 3 if moxxey is correct with his explanation.

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 7:52 PM

BeoIce:

I have a BL 11 too, but haven't had much time to fiddle around with the settings. I currently have it in setting 2, but would like to have more bass, so I will definitly go for setting 3 if moxxey is correct with his explanation.

Setting 3 reduces the bass, you'll need setting 1.  For me, setting 3 enhanced my setup as I have wooden floors and the BL11 is close to the wall. I found there was too much bass/rattle. Setting 3 just enhances the already great sound. Not by much, but it's noticeable.

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 7:33 AM

Thanks moxxey, I will try setting 1 then.

Regards

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

mmctsai
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
mmctsai replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 3:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestion and setting 1 has the strongest base indeed! My current set up is Beolab 11 with Beolab 8000 and they work very well. When I am listening music I tune the base down to +2 but when I am watching movies, I tune base to +4!

Gennaro
Not Ranked
Bronx, NY
Posts 78
Bronze Member
Gennaro replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 6:38 AM
Awesome... im also consider one to add to my BV11-55...

awesome job on getting a good deal on a demo one...

Beovision 11-55, BeoPlay V1 40, Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000's and 3 Beocom 5's... Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Having a sub/the BL11 in a setup with the BV11 is pretty different from running it with some BL8000.

The (audio) engine of the tv gives you a lot more options for 'tuning' the speaker setup including bas management.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 458
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 8:06 PM

I'm also interested in the Beolab 11. My interest actually emerged when I realised that the V1-32 lacks the V1-40's third speaker – my V1 is in the kitchen where it replaced a vintage system with "real" speakers, so I'd like a little more bass.

However, that also got me thinking that I maybe should replace the Penta IIIs in my livingroom with a Beolab 3 + Beolab 11 combo. I've been thinking of getting a pair of (used) BL9s, but of course now there also is the BL20... :-) The 20 is still too expensive for me, though, and since I'm a bit tired of the huge-ness of the Penta columns, it would be really nice with such a compact system as the BL3+11 combo.

There is a problem: I don't have a Beovision in the livingroom, my Pentas are connected to my old Beomaster 7000. This means: no bass management and no high-pass filtering of the signal that feeds the BL3s. Would this be a problem?

My livingroom is quite small (maybe 30 m²) and I don't do much high-volume listening. I want a balanced sound, I'd like the bass to be there but I don't want a 'loudness' effect. I like my Pentas for TV and movies, but when I play music I think they lack a bit of definition in the treble and upper mids. The amount of bass is (more than) enough, but it could be more precise. Much of this (at least my bass issues) has to do with the placement of the speakers in this particular room, but I can't do much about that.

So what do you think? Would the BL3+BL11 be a good replacement for my Penta IIIs, and will it be a problem that I don't have a crossover/dsp?

Gennaro
Not Ranked
Bronx, NY
Posts 78
Bronze Member
Gennaro replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 8:32 PM
Millemissen:

Having a sub/the BL11 in a setup with the BV11 is pretty different from running it with some BL8000.

The (audio) engine of the tv gives you a lot more options for 'tuning' the speaker setup including bas management.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Great, I never had the BL8000 connected to the BV.. but will this weekend to see the diff

Beovision 11-55, BeoPlay V1 40, Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000's and 3 Beocom 5's... Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That is a question, that is difficult to answer, if one does not know your room.

If you need some inspiring thought about the use of subwoofers, this (and the one linked in this) might come handy:

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2014/01/10/bo-tech-subwoofer-tweaking-for-beginners/

I am sure, it won't answer your question direct, but.....

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Oops - my post above was meant as a comment to the post from henrik.

MM

henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 458
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 8:49 PM

Millemissen:

That is a question, that is difficult to answer, if one does not know your room.

If you need some inspiring thought about the use of subwoofers, this (and the one linked in this) might come handy:

Thanks Millemissen. It wasn't really obvious from my too-long post, but it's actually not the BL11 itself that I'm worried about, it's using the BL3s without a hp filter.

henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 458
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 8:57 PM

But still, it's a good article! :)

henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 458
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 8:57 PM

But still, it's a good article! :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

A lot of BL3 owners are very happy with them.

For the size they produce extraordinary bas.

It is when you push them too hard, that you will notice, that it is a small speaker.

As always - only trying them at home will give you certainty.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 10:49 PM

If you run the signal to the BL11 and then to the BL3s the BL11 high pass filters the signal to the BL3s. It contains both a HP and LP filter, it's the BL19 that has only a LP filter.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 458
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 11:12 PM

Jeff:

If you run the signal to the BL11 and then to the BL3s the BL11 high pass filters the signal to the BL3s. It contains both a HP and LP filter, it's the BL19 that has only a LP filter.

Ah, great! I thought it applied to the bl11 as well, that's I was worried. Thanks for correcting me!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Oct 29 2016 2:12 PM

henrik:

Jeff:

Ah, great! I thought it applied to the bl11 as well, that's I was worried. Thanks for correcting me!

Hope if you get one it works out well for you! I have often wondered why they didn't incorporate a simple high pass into the BL19, but perhaps they expect it to be used with a Beovision and the crossovers to be controlled there? Seems to be a mistake to me, if they want to sell it with speakers for people who do audio only with it. Perhaps the crossover module in the BL19 was OEM from some other maker?

I was thinking of getting a BL11 to go with my 8000s, but instead moved the 8000s to the dining area and picked up some BL9s for the living room. Still really like the look, and mounting options, of the BL11 though, very stylish little woofer.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS