Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

NL/ML Delay Box

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

So now we know how to set up the 'Delay Box'.

Has anyone already used it?

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Currently using it in the shop and it works great!! Just as you would imagine.

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

This thread has been viewed 170 times - but noone (except BeoMegaMan) has tried this box.

Makes me wonder why people complained about the sounddalay!

The guys in Struer created a solution....that noone uses.

Grrr! Millemissen

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Thu, May 23 2013 11:33 PM
There was no need to make one!

Other manufacturers devices do the job just as well, ok they may not have ml socketry! There was no need to try and reinvent the wheel!

Scarce R&D resources could have been better used elsewhere me thinks!

Woof!!!
Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, May 24 2013 1:22 AM

StUrrock:
Scarce R&D resources could have been better used elsewhere me thinks

A similar model of the Mastelink Delay box has been available for approx 2 years.

To coop with the longer delay caused by the BeoLink NL<>ML converter and the different amounts of
delay time for different sources, it needed an update to become more "intelligent". 

No necessity to re-invent the "wheel ",  just some very effective "wheel balancing"  ...

Latest info about setup of the delay box are: 

Settings on a NL/ML Delay Box (used with the NL/ML Converter) should be 1-0-1-1-0 (dip switch 2+5 down)
instead of 1-1-0-1-1 (dip switch 3 down) as described in the supplied quick guide.
Will check these settings over the WE

Additionally BeoVision 11 / BeoPlay V1 Setting "STREAM DELAY, WIRED" should be changed to 50 ms ...
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

StUrrock:
There was no need to make one!

Other manufacturers devices do the job just as well, ok they may not have ml socketry! 

Hi StUrrock,

could you please be more precise, about "which other manufacturers devices do the job as well"?

And how would they work in a NL/ML-setup WITHOUT "ml socketry"?

Greetings Millemissen

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, May 24 2013 11:40 AM
We have been using a box from Kramer for many years to solve both this and similar sound delay issues.

In an ML system we keep the control wires connected and then just take out the audio wires and then make some adjustments on the Kramer then Bingo sound delay has gone.

It is no secret and indeed B&O produced a white paper on the subject some years ago when there was a delay between HIDEF TVs and the sound in link rooms.

Lindy also make a similar box.
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, May 24 2013 11:51 AM
Millemissen:

Greetings Millemissen

In the system diagram shown, thanks for that Millemissen, if the BS4 shown had speakers connected directly to it surely then the BS4 would be out of synch with everything else?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks for your clarification.

I am sure these solutions works, but they aren't user (or installer) friendly, you must admit.

So we should be happy that Bang & Olufsen has made some "wheel balancing" with the new box.

Greetings Millemissen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

StUrrock:
Millemissen:

Greetings Millemissen

In the system diagram shown, thanks for that Millemissen, if the BS4 shown had speakers connected directly to it surely then the BS4 would be out of synch with everything else?

It is so - this box 'only' has an effect on rooms connected via ML. The audiosystem MUST be in Option 0 (with no speakers).

This was not described in the part of the info, that I published.

I just wanted to push the discussion on this subject Stick out tongue

Greetings Millemissen

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Sat, May 25 2013 8:57 AM

Millemissen:

It is so - this box 'only' has an effect on rooms connected via ML. The audiosystem MUST be in Option 0 (with no speakers).

This was not described in the part of the info, that I published.

Absolutely right!

And there is a real BIG difference compared to simple 3rd party delay-boxes.

Since every ML component "knows"  the source of the sound (either audio  or video)
the B&O ML- box can handle (= delay) signals differently corresponding to the source.

This avoids "double delay" for the sound of video sources sent to the ML system ...

That's what I ment, when I posted "the box had to become more intelligent"  in my previous post.

!! It is mandatory, all 3 involved components (V1/BV11 + NL/ML Converter + ML-Delay-Box) have
been updated to the current SW level - different SW levels won't coop.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Jun 15 2015 4:20 PM
My delay problem is that the sound in linkroom is "after" the sound from mainroom when I play my BV11. So I get an echo effect in the house. I have an NL/ml converter between BV11 and the ML system.

Will a delay box be able to cure that?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Mon, Jun 15 2015 4:41 PM

Hiort:
My delay problem is that the sound in linkroom is "after" the sound from mainroom when I play my BV11. So I get an echo effect in the house. I have an NL/ml converter between BV11 and the ML system.

Will a delay box be able to cure that?

No, the delay box would even increase the delay in this situation. What you need is a delay on the NL side. The delay box is just for ML.

There are some settings in service menu of the TV regarding this. Something like delay cabled and wireless. But I can't remember well... 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Jun 16 2015 7:51 AM

BeoMotion:

No, the delay box would even increase the delay in this situation. What you need is a delay on the NL side. The delay box is just for ML.

There are some settings in service menu of the TV regarding this. Something like delay cabled and wireless. But I can't remember well... 

Yes, that is what I thought.

Since the ML sound is delayed compared to the TV sound, I figured I somehow need to reduce the delay imposed before the sound is put out on the ML.

I tried reducing the delay in the Service Menu, but could only bring it down from 60 to 30 ms (my TV is wired) and it was not enough. Think I have to look into the NL/ML Converter, that probably is adding delay when converting the signals into the ML.

/C

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Tue, Jun 16 2015 11:27 AM

Hiort:
I tried reducing the delay in the Service Menu, but could only bring it down from 60 to 30 ms (my TV is wired) and it was not enough. Think I have to look into the NL/ML Converter, that probably is adding delay when converting the signals into the ML.

The problem is that the conversion from the digital NL stream to analog ML output will always take some time. This cannot be decreased in settings of the NL/ML converter. Have you tried to increase the delay in the service menu of the TV to maybe 300 ms or more? 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Jun 16 2015 11:45 AM

BeoMotion:

The problem is that the conversion from the digital NL stream to analog ML output will always take some time. This cannot be decreased in settings of the NL/ML converter. Have you tried to increase the delay in the service menu of the TV to maybe 300 ms or more? 

Yes, I tried to increase just to test, but it (of course) got worse.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Jun 16 2015 8:47 PM

Problem solved!

The delay has to be the same on the BV11 and the NL/ML converter. Of some reason they had different values. When I made sure I had the same values on both it worked fine. No delay.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 12:50 AM

Hiort has kindly referred me to this thread. I am considering to buy a delay box, but not sure whether it would fix my issue. My setup as below:

BV7 with ML/NL converter
BV5 with ML/NL converter
A9

When playing from the A9, everything is in sync (DLNA, Deezer, TuneIn).

I am trying to distribute the audio to other rooms when playing music videos on the BV7 from an ATV4. It works to distribute it to the A9, but it is not in sync. Would a delay box address this issue or would my video/audio on the BV7 get out of sync by doing so?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 1:30 AM

There is unfortunately nothing you can do about the delayed audio from your BV7 video sources, as this is a result of the time taken for the converter to encode the audio, send it over the network, and then for it to be decoded it at the other end by the A9.

You could in theory connect your speakers to the converter instead of the BV7 which would resolve the delay issue, but of course you would then have a delay between the video shown on screen and the audio which would be even more of an issue (and you would also lose the surround sound decoding abilities of the BV7).

The delay box is useful if you have an ML based audio master as well as the BV7, in addition to the converter - for example:

BS9000 ----- NL/ML Converter ------ Delay box ----- BV7 ===== speakers

(where ----- is a ML cable, and ===== is powerlink)

In this example, the delay box adds the same delay to the signal before it reaches the BV7 as the netlink transmission between the converter and for example your A9 creates, such that the audio from the BS9000 would be in sync when played on both the BV7 and the A9, and because there is no video involved there are no issues here with lip-sync.

Martin.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:58 AM
thanks, very helpful!

if I were to use the line-in of the ML/NL to connect with the ATV (but BLs stay connected with BV), would audio be in-sync? from what I read in your message, this would probably work?
riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 1:23 AM

steve1977:
thanks, very helpful!

if I were to use the line-in of the ML/NL to connect with the ATV (but BLs stay connected with BV), would audio be in-sync? from what I read in your message, this would probably work?

The simple answer is that there is no way to distribute the audio part of an ML video source, whilst simultaneously keeping the audio and video in sync with each other.

Martin.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 1:53 AM

Got it, thanks. I had actually changed my question to an audio-only question. If I were to connect a second ATV or an Airport Express to the line-in of the ML/NL, would I be able to keep the audio in sync between the BV7/BL and other NL sources (A9 et al)? Idea is to make the BV7 airplay-capable and allow distribution of an airplay source (e.g., Spotify).

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Jun 30 2017 11:26 PM

To add to this thread as a resource to help others:

I found that in order to get my ML/NL Delay Box working correctly, I used wired connections (not wireless) for all NL devices. Also, I had to set both the Wired and Wireless settings to 50 for the BeoLink Converter in the NL Management screen. My BeoLink Converter originally had the Wireless delay setting at 10,000 ms. I had to change that to 50 ms. Doing so automatically changed the ML delay setting (under the NL Management screen) to 143 ms -- which is close to the ML/NL Delay Box's default setting of 149 ms. It now works perfectly.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS