Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Reading Now?

rated by 0 users
This post has 362 Replies | 3 Followers

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Sep 22 2020 5:24 PM
Regina Bauer:
"The dairy of Anne Frank" is another book everyone should have read. Shocking and informative at the same time!

This one is clearly not a piece of cake [:\'(]
beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Thu, Oct 8 2020 1:17 PM

I finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell a couple of days ago. My first book of this writer. It's not an easy book to judge, at least for me. The book has one central theme: Being smart is not enough to succeed, you also need to get lucky. It's very well written and easy to read.

The individual chapters are very interesting and cover subjects as Canadian hockey players, Korean airline pilots, poor kids in the Bronx, Jewish lawyers and so on. But he uses far less data to make his point than, for instance, Hans Rosling does in Factfulness or Steven Pinker in Enlightenment now. I've read these books before and also posted my review here.

This perhaps shouldn't be surprising. Rosling was a doctor and statistician and Steven Pinker is a cognitive psychologist, linguist, and popular science author. They use a vast amount of data and some narrative to make their point. Gladwell is a journalist. There's some data, but more narrative. Therein lies the main reason this book leaves me a bit unsatisfied.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Jul 4 2021 3:00 PM

Due to continuous health issues I haven't been reading that much lately, but started a few weeks ago. I finished two short novels and a book on the Dutch language just to get started. Finally I'm reading a more serious book again: 'Noise' by Daniel Kahneman, Oliver Sibony and Cass R. Sunstein.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Page 10 of 10 (363 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 | RSS