Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Nostalgia!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher Posted: Fri, Jul 12 2013 10:50 PM

Two programmes on BBC4 tonight, "When Albums Ruled the World" and "The Joy of The Single". Both been on before, but one after the other they are an educational smörgåsbord of the culture and the importance of the music, the artists, and their inexorable link to the recording companies in producing 12" albums and 7" singles. From Bob Dylan through the Beatles and Led Zepp to the Sex Pistols!

Cracking programmes and what the BBC is all about - well done to them and boo to all their opponents!Smile

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 13 2013 2:32 AM

Sounds like some great shows. The media is almost inseparable from the artists in a lot of people's memories, at least for people my age. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Both on youtube:  When Albums   The Joy     Nice to see my neighborhood was given due credit - I walk past Mr. Dylan's former home often.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 13 2013 3:33 AM

We hear a lot of complaints around here about the fact that streaming based audio doesn't allow for the kind of dramatic visual components B&O is known for, but the same is true for the media itself. I tend to get nostalgic about vinyl albums. I miss the tactile aspect and the big cover art and inserts with info and lyrics. And since most of my album days are associated with my youth, there's the natural tendency for weepy nostalgia. 

That being said, i wouldn't trade back. I still dig out my albums when I want to relive the experience, but streaming is just so convenient and let's me actually find my music quickly instead of rummaging thru my stacks. I'm glad I don't have to rely on vinyl exclusively. 

Those were the days though...Wink

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, Jul 13 2013 4:22 AM

Jeff:
Those were the days though...Wink

Nostalgia is not what it used to be ...... ;-)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Jeff:

That being said, i wouldn't trade back. I still dig out my albums when I want to relive the experience, but streaming is just so convenient and let's me actually find my music quickly instead of rummaging thru my stacks. I'm glad I don't have to rely on vinyl exclusively. 

Hi Jeff,

Overall I agree with you, though I must say that - when I listen to LP's - I don't relive the experience. I live the experience!

I stil have a few LP's from earlier days, and once in a while I still buy LP's. But most of my music is (from ripped CD's) on my NAS - and I enjoy all the advantages incl quick searching from different criterias, looking up infos of the artist, finding different coverart and much more.

On the other hand I still enjoy holding the sleeve of an album in my hands - it is a different approach to the media. Although I must admit that I mostly buy the LP's because of the (often) better quality of the mastering and/or the included big art inlays.

Recently I bought the 'Bob Dylan - Tempest' as 180 gram vinyl with the CD included. I wanted to find out, if there is a difference between both like in previous cases of Dylan albums.

I have heard the LP twice - it is after all a p... in the a.. having to flip the record over 4 times for one album. Afterwards I just listen to it as a from the LP ripped 24/96 version.

Streaming music - either local or from services - has a bad reputation because of the mostly low quality. Due to high harddrive prices compressed formats like MP3 ruled the streaming world (and in most cases unfortunately still rules).

But with the possibilities, that we have now a days, it is easy to have music in CD quality or in even better quality - even online streaming goes FLAC in the near future.

A  good DAC can make digital music from a harddrive sound even better than from a CD player.

So I say long live high quality music streaming. But I also say long live the LP - no nostalgia there!

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS