Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Mac Mini and Beolab 14

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

djcedr
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
djcedr Posted: Sat, Jul 27 2013 4:02 AM

Hello,

I'm a total noob on all audio questions, but I'd like to learn and to buy a B&O sound system. My usage: watch movies on my Mac Mini, and listen to music. My Mac Mini is an Air Play receiver (with AirFoil app) so I can stream music from my iPad to my Mac Mini.

Now, I'm hesitating between Beolab 14 and Beolab A9.

1) I'm not sure I understand the schematics provided in the Beolab 14 installation manual. Concretely, without investing in expensive DAC whatever, is there an easy way to plug my Mac Mini to the Beolab 14? Do I need a pre-amp of some sort, or can I 'just' use the optical output (which, honestly, looks like a jack to me), the HDMI cable, an USB cable... I'm lost! The input slot on the Beolab 14 looks like a sub-D with is supposed to be connected to 11 RCAs, makes sense but there's only 1 jack going out of the mac Mini, duh, so what am I supposed to put in the middle? (I warned you, noob) Looking at "HDMI audio to RCA" I can see HDMI cables with 5 audio RCA, not 10 - and definitely not 11.

2) Because of the simplicity, I'm also tempted by the Beolab A9. Now, to stream music from the iPad I'd go directly to the A9 Airplay receiver, easy. What about watching movies on the Mac Mini? I guess that iTunes is built for that so it should be fine (i.e. AirPlay'ing the sound from iTunes Mac Mini to the Airplay receiver of the A9). What about VLC, which I primarily use to watch TV series? (not even sure there are often in 5.1 by the way..). in terms of connectivity, it says 'line in', that, I know! :)

3) Another question then, again, noob so sorry for asking. I guess the sound is way better in the Beolab 14 than in the A9 because in the A9 you also pay the wireless stuff. Yet, in the store, the A9 sound was really good and appeared even better than the 14's. It was not the same source, not the same music... So hard to compare. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.
Cédric 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Cédric and welcome to the BeoWorld,

lots of questions!

Let me try - starting with your last one.

3: What 'sounds' better depends on you - the room (how big is it?), do you want sound by your screen (left and right nicely placed at each side of the display), your preferences (more music listening or more movie...)?

I suppose you mean the 2.1 combination of the BL14 - otherweise it would be hard/unfair to compare both!

If not, you must decide for the A9, which is a 2.1 system or for the BL14-5.1 system (more later).

2: Simplicity - yes, it is quite simple to handle the A9 (if you have a good working wifi at home). Just send iTunes audio from your iPad (using the Remote app), no need for fidling with iTunes on your MacMini monitor.

Viewing movies (stereo) is simple. Just send the audio via AirFoil to the A9. Beware: you may experience some lipsync problems - but in VLC there are some 'tuning' possibilities (hidden in the preferences).

Better though for movies would be a direct connection via line/stereo cable (the A9 has a line in, which is autoswitched, when needed).

1: To get the best (stereo) sound from a computer/MAC you need a USB-DAC. You can get these in different qualities and to different prices.

Have a look at the 'Dragonfly' or the 'Audioengine D1':  http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57364964-47/audioengines-terrific-tiny-usb-dac-headphone-amp/  --- Google for others.

Of cource you can use the output from the MacMini, but if you buy a BL14 or a A9, may advice is to invest in a USB-DAC as well.

But you will really have to decide, if you want a 2.1 or a 5.1 solution.

In case of preference for the 5.1 you will need some kind of surround processor/preamp (connected via HDMI or simply optical out of the MacMini) - there are a lot out there (in different qualities and to different prices). But do think of the extra handling via remote or setting up the preamp, the cabling....

It is not a problem to connect the BL14-5.1 to any surround processor. The "input slot" you mentioned is for a breakout cable, which on the other end has the connections for the 5.1 outputs of a surround preamp. There is no other way for connecting the BL14. (unless you use/have a Bang & Olufsen tv).

If you chooce the BL14 in the 2.1 constellation, you use the same breakout cable with a stereo line connection (will be included).

As you see, there are some decisions to be made before you proceed - do ask again, if needed.

N.B. Any good B&O salesman should be able to provide you with these facts! Don't hesitate to ask in the shop!

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

djcedr
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
djcedr replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:53 PM

Hi Millemissen,

Thanks a lot for your detailed and quick reply!

It helps a lot, thank you very much. The thing I'm a bit frighten by is the size of the preamps/surround processors I can find on google, for example: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/processors/processors-reviews/marantz-av7701-7-2-a-v-preamp-processor/page-2-design-amp-setup.html

I don't need such a huge thing I think, do you know if there exists smaller / cheap preamps that would do the trick (i.e. conversion from optical or HDMI to 5.1)?

Thanks again for your help.

Cédric

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi again,

seems that you have decided for the 5.1 route Smile

The linked Marantz is imo overkill!

Perhaps try looking more in this direction, B&O suggestions::

"For your reference and inspiration, we have during the development tested the connectivity and sound path on the below AV receivers (selected from popularity and different price range).

Price range below 400

- Denon AVR-X1000
- Onkyo TX SR 508

Price range below 700

- Marantz AV receiver SR 4500 - Denon AVR-2805"

Or this one (but without HDMI):

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/lautsprecher-zubehoer/decoderstation-5-mk2-p11757.html

And do have a look at the brand new NuForce AVP-18 - it is a gem, but costs more than a MacMini Crying

Greetings Millemissen

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 12:14 AM

Why not just buy an OPPO bluray and be done with it?

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-103-Universal-Blu-ray-Streaming/dp/B00B9MM57E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1374966321&sr=8-6&keywords=oppo+bluray

Connect the computer via HDMI (with one to spare) to the bluray and output via the analog section.I fail to see a better option if you need a simple preamp and want high quality. 

djcedr
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
djcedr replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 2:17 AM

I guess I should precise a bit my usages: it's mainly about 1) Music from Deezer, Youtube, mp3 (vlc...) so stereo is enough for that ; 2) downloaded TV shows, ripped from HDTV, some of them in 5.1 apparently (3f2r/lfe in vlc), some of them in stereo.

So I guess my files don't have a sound good enough to justify to go with the full 5.1 solution, on second thoughts... The only drawback from a system such as the A9 is that the sound would come from the side while watching a movie in my setup, and not from multiple sources in space (even if not in true 5.1)...

The way I see it now (but I change my opinion every couple of minutes!), the choice is between a B&O A9, great sound & design, or a 5.1 system that will be much more mainstream, i.e. integrate both preamp and amp in the same box - I understand the sound quality argument, but still, as was said previously, paying more than the price of a computer just to get a preamp because the Beolab 14 is 'just' an amp and not a preamp (why, I don't even know actually if this is not a preamp as well, it's so confusing...) seems way overkill given my typical sound files quality.

Thanks a lot again for helping me on all that, even if I end up with a more conventional system than a B&O, I learn a lot!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Cédric,

I do understand your usages - and wondered that you seemed to go for the full 5.1 solution.

Mostly you won't need it.

Why don't you just start with the BL14-2.1 combination? It is easy to set up - you could even start with plugging it into the stereo/sound output of the MacMini (and perhaps later buy a USB-DAC).

It would be easy to upgrade afterwards - just buy 3 (or 2) more satelites for the rear (and center) channels. Of cource you then need the audioprocessor/preamp.

That could e a starting point - and you have the sound nicely placed at each side of your screen/display.

As for the need of an audioprocessor/preamp (in short):

The BL14-2.1 needs a stereosignal - that is what it gets from the output of the Mini (or the output of the USB-DAC)

The BL14-5.1 (and every active 5.1 set as well) needs a signal that is processed into 5.1 channels.

From your MacMini you can (through the HDMI) get a bitstream signal (raw/untouched format). This must be decoded before it is amplified. That is the job of the audioprocessor (or any A/V receiver) and brought to a compatible sound level (preamped) - and then outputtet through 6(5.1) seperate outputs.

You can get breakout box'es for the Mac (that does this), but mostly these are PRO devices (and expensive).

So my advice is to start with the BL14-2.1. This would make it possible to upgrade afterwards, when you need it/can afford it and have learned more about audioprocessing and co Cool

P.S. The advice to use the OPPO blurayplayer is by the way correct - would certainly be the best solution for the 5.1 setup.

I did not mention it above because of the costs 💰

Greetings Millemissen

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS