Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1900 Motor Noise

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member

I have a recently acquired Beogram 1900 that has some motor noise I want to investigate.  Does anyone have any tips to help in this matter?  Like "Whatever you do don't take off the..."  etc.

It looks like once the motor is removed I can desolder the AC leads from their terminal strip and power it directly from a cord.  This way I can test anything I change to see if it helps with the noise.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 6:24 AM

Make sure that the motor hangs free in its suspensions and brackets.
It must not touch metal against metal when it runs.

Martin

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
punchback replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:24 PM

I will verify that it's hanging free.  I think it is.  It sounds like there's something rubbing in the motor itself.  When I open the bottom of the unit it seemed like there was a lot of oil on the bottom of the motor.  Not excessive but more than you'd expect.  The little grey button shown in the picture, on the bottom of the motor, is where the oil was.  I haven't taken anything apart yet but it looks like there might be a bearing on the bottom of the motor.  I hope that's not the problem.

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
punchback replied on Fri, Aug 2 2013 12:50 PM

I remove the motor but there was no "smoking gun" .  There didn't seemed to be any play in the bearings which I thought would be the problem.  I guess that's good but I'm sure when I reassemble the noise will remain.  The noise is definitely coming from the motor/idler wheel area. 

Any suggestions as to what should be cleaned \ lubricated, if anything, in that idler wheel & belt assembly on top of the motor?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Aug 2 2013 3:13 PM

A hard rubber idler will make a noise.
Can you tell if the noise disappears if yo lift the idler wheel away from the motor pulley ?

Martin

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
punchback replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 9:14 PM

I finally got around to putting everything back together.  It's quite a trick to get the motor suspension springs reattached to their mounts.  Two are easy since they're completely exposed.  I made a tool by filing a notch into the blade of a small screwdriver.  I also bent the shaft so I could get to the mount up under the deck.  

I pushed the idler away from the motor and the noise remains.  I'm pretty sure the noise is electrical in nature.  When I press stop, as soon as the 1900 cuts power to the motor the noise goes away.  During the few seconds everything is spinning down to a stop there is silence.  Any suggestions?

If it comes to giving up, which of the other Beograms would use the same motor?

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
punchback replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:43 PM

I think the noise problem is solved. I took the bottom of the motor off again and was looking for anything that might be loose.  I noticed that the motor connections for one of the poles seemed to be loose.  I pushed on it with a screwdriver and it moved back into a slot.  I put it back together and NO MORE NOISE!  Later today I'll get a picture of what I'm talking about.  

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member

Attached is a picture of the motor with the bottom off.  The arrow shows the part of the motor that was loose.  I pushed it back against the plastic assembly.  It seemed like the little nub just below the arrow is supposed to help hold it in place.  I guess when the motor was energized it vibrated because as soon as the power was off the noise disappeared.   Anyway no more noise.Big Smile

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 7:35 AM

Good job !
And thanks for the update, no doubt this will come in useful to other forum surfers.

Martin

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
punchback replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:36 PM

The motor starting making the noise again today. I guess I need to epoxy that part in place. I was hoping it was wedged in place and I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.  Any suggestions on the epoxy to use?  I hear a lot of good things about JB Weld. 

punchback
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
punchback replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 3:50 AM

When I took the motor bottom off,  the metal piece was loose again. I had some loctite 5 minute epoxy on hand so after pressing it back in place,  I put a drop right where the yellow arrow is pointing a couple of posts back. So far so good.  Hopefully this will be permanent.  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS