Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8000 sometimes won't spin at startup

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Redline7700
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Redline7700 Posted: Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:44 PM

Hi I am having Beogram 8000 issues where upon startup it just hums and the display only says 33. instead of the 33.33 on the display.   Sometimes have to "help" the spin and suddenly 33.33 shows in the display and it functions as normal. Any suggestions?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Sounds like a clean and lubricate problem, give it some TLC

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 7:14 PM

Grab a capacitor kit and replace the lot while looking for cracked solder joints.
All too common.

Martin

Redline7700
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member

So now my helping is no longer working. I was using it fine last night, then this morning its back to again just saying 33 and buzzing.  If i gently speed it up 33.33 will come on (and in the past it would continue spinning) but now its just slowing back down. Will this be cured with soldering and capacitors? 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 9:31 PM

Of course I cannot sit hundreds of kilometers away and give you a guarantee but based
on experience with these decks and those symptoms, I'd say chances are on the good side of 95%.

Martin

Redline7700
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member

Martin is a godsend. Had all the caps replaced (although only 3 were bad),issues were cracked/bad solder joints in the power supply area. Martin offers unparalleled support for these decks. Most would end up in the junkyard without his support/dedication. Big thanks!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dillen:
I'd say chances are on the good side of 95%

Martin is always low with his estimates,Smile and yes his help on this forum invaluable.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 6:32 AM

Søren Mexico:

Dillen:
I'd say chances are on the good side of 95%

Martin is always low with his estimates,Smile and yes his help on this forum invaluable.

Indeed.

For me it was bad solder joints at a connector.

Inspect with a magnifying glass, and do replace those old capacitors too, as per Martin's advice!

Jacques

mike wagner
Not Ranked
calgary alberta canada
Posts 6
Bronze Member

I hope this works. I have the same problem with my 8000 and I am ordering a kit from Dillen.

This turntable is the only piece of electronics that i cansider an absolute keeper. I have bought and sold a lot of gear and this is the only one I have fallen inlove with.

mike wagner
Not Ranked
calgary alberta canada
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Well, I finally got the recap done. It is not an easy job but I feel confident I did it right. I now have two issues

1) i need a new belt for the linear tracking device. It was slipping. I shimmed the motor up with a washer and it works normally but that it not an acceptable permanent solution. Where can i buy a belt for this unit/

2) the more serious issue is that the platter will not spin. It tries and will sometimes spin very slowly with almost no torque. There is a loud hum that seem to be coming from the coils which seem to be the drive unit for the platter.

Any ideas?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:12 AM

Yes!

Check the solder joints at the connectors. I had that on my two examples.

Martin can supply the small belt.

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Apr 5 2014 12:46 PM

Will the platter spin easily by hand?

martin

mike wagner
Not Ranked
calgary alberta canada
Posts 6
Bronze Member

the platter spins easily by hand. I will double check the solder joints.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Apr 5 2014 3:35 PM

Good idea.
Don't forget the CPU socket.

Did you replace ALL caps in the kit, nothing more, nothing less ?

Martin

mike wagner
Not Ranked
calgary alberta canada
Posts 6
Bronze Member

almost all the caps, the cpu was the hard one as you had to disassemble it and then each end of the cap had to fit into the hole plus have a extra conductor solddered to it. If I made an installation error, it was probably that one.

I did not change the caps that werren't on the circuit board. There is a smaller circuit board on the base of the turntable between the arm mechanism and the platter mechanism. My kit did not include a .47 uf 160 volt cap that is there. The one in there is a Nichikon so it may have been changed by the previous owner?

Next to the spindle mechanism is a small board with two caps. I did not change them as well. Maybe i will see what their value is and then see if the kit has them. I have 3 left over caps in my kit.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 3:20 PM

... a .47 uf 160 volt cap on the subchassis board ...
Are you sure about these values ?
Normally it's a 47uF 10 or 16V (plus a 1uF 50V).
Worth checking.

Martin

mike wagner
Not Ranked
calgary alberta canada
Posts 6
Bronze Member

it is defintaley a 160v  0.47 uf  rubycon capacitor. It is the only rubycon in the unit so it may have been changed by the previous owner. He dealt with thte B&O shop locally so i doubt if it was an ineperienced tech.

I replaced the two capacitors with the ones in your drawing. No change

i cleaned the tacho disk, no change

When you power up the unit, you get a medium hum for 1/2 sec. The hum comes from the two coil / magnet devices that turn the platter. When you press start, the hum is continually on and it is about twice as looud.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 9:58 PM

Sorry for asking but you have the black subplatter fitted, right ?
It's an essential part of the eddy-current motor that drives the platter.

Martin

mike wagner
Not Ranked
calgary alberta canada
Posts 6
Bronze Member

it wasn't but it is now and no differrence.

BTW, now it makes sense how the turntable works.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS