Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocenter 9000 9300 9500 which speakers?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

simon12
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
simon12 Posted: Thu, Sep 5 2013 8:27 PM

Good evening all,

I'm taking my first steps into B&O ownership and have been looking at the Beocenter 9000 9300 and 9500. I'm fairly well sorted in terms of what each one does, updates etc. What i'd really like to find out is what type of passive speakers work best with these machines?

Thanks in advance

simon

Wilderwein
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Gold Member

Beovox 5000 or 3000. Is a nice combination with the Beocenter 9000. A pair of beovox penta would be awsome as well. 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 8:33 PM

If space is at a premium, I'd suggest some CX100's - but be sure to pop off the cloth grilles and check the foams on the drivers... Almost every single pair I inspect now are rotten.

if space is abundant, blow your socks off with some RL140's as a 'period match' for not silly money.

If you have wall space, try the BeoVox 5000's - but most of them now are in poor condition. You'll pay a premium for a really nice pair.

And the "wild card" would be a nice pair of S45 or S60's - which really wouldn't match the system but would sound just fine.

My choice? RL140 - (or 60's if you don't have too much room)

I'm sure there will be many more equally as valid suggestions from our membership though!  

Lee

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member

I would go for the RL 60.2.

/***

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 8:37 PM

Within seven minutes you have three answers...  that's why I love BeoWorld so much!

:0)

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 8:39 PM

9 LEE:
If you have wall space, try the BeoVox 5000's - but most of them now are in poor condition. You'll pay a premium for a really nice pair.

I have 2 pairs in mint condition (for sale if you're looking for any) but the size is huge and expensive to ship!

Have a few 3000's as well but not mint...

ps. And yes they sound great on all 3 of them Surprise

Brengen & Ophalen

graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
graemeben replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 10:42 PM

Hi. Remember B&O haven't made passive speakers for quite some time now, so be wary of condition for any of them second hand.Also many suffer from the dreaded 'foam rot so check the bass drivers carefully. You don't necessarily have to get B&O. I currently have a set of Mission 700 ( 75 watt) speakers  connected to my Beocenter 9300. Sounds great. However, I understand if you want to keep everything 'true B&O'.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Graeme.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 10:42 PM

tamtapir:

I would go for the RL 60.2.

/***

I agree with that.
I will just add, that if you go for the RL, then go for the 60.2 as 'tamtapir' writes above (or the newer RL 6000 which is basically the same).
Beware of the first ones called RL 60, as they usually have some problems with 'foam'rot' on the ABR unit (Auxiliary Bass Radiator) which is a kind of 'slave bass' unit. And you can not buy new foam (or rubber) surrounds for that.
The later models had 2 bass units instead.

The panel speakers Beovox 3000, 4500 and 5000 does not have any problems with 'foam-rot' as they have rubber surrounds on the units.
I have a set of 4500's and 5000's - and the units looks like new.

simon12
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
simon12 replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:46 PM

Thanks all you Guys for the helpful replies.

I think i'm going to go RL 60.2 if i want to keep everything B&O.

Interested in your post Graemeben in that I could buy a brand new pair of Mission 33i for £150 from richer sounds, if their going to as good a job as the RL 60.2's then new seems a better bet.

Which poses another question, am i right in thinking that i would need to buy B&O speaker wire and modify the speaker end to fit Mission speakers? Also can 2 sets of speakers be linked to the 9300 and if so whats required?

thanks again guys

Simon

graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
graemeben replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:03 PM

Hi Simon,

No,you would not have to buy B&O speaker cable, any good quality speaker cable would do.Richer Sounds will sort you out with that no problem. You will need 2 pin din connectors into the 9300 , and standard RCA connecting plugs for the Missions ( or just about any other make of speaker). If possible get 2 pin din connectors with the screw terminals rather than soldered - much easier to use!You can indeed connect 2 pairs of passive speakers to the 9300 but please note pressing mute will only silence 1 set.

It is not my intention to steer you away from the RL speakers, I am sure they would be excellent, provided they are in good condition. They certainly are totally in keeping with the visual attraction of the system. The 9000 series are 1 of B&O's classic  systems and always popular on this site. The mission speakers visually are not in the same league but sound wise my 700's are a very balanced speaker and certainly worth a listen.

I'm guessing you may be on a budget and that is ruling out buying any active speakers (BL 6000, BL 8000 etc.) but don't forget the 9300 also has power link connections for B&O active speakers.

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your system. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Graeme.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:26 PM

I used S75s with my 9500 and at present it is living with a friend of mine with a pair of s120s. Both sounded very good. If space is limited, S45.2s are the best small speaker B&O made.

Peter

Loadoner
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Loadoner replied on Tue, Feb 12 2019 4:03 PM

Is it possible to connect the Beovox 3000 (type 6716) Flat panel? on one of this three Beocenters?   

(I ask because I read teh the beolab 5000 where amplified and were perfect for the beocenter 9500)

The specs from the Beovox 3000 are:

max power 90W

Max Noise Power 45

8 Ohm

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Beoworld!

The simple answer is that you can use any speakers (active or passive) with any of these Beocenters - these can be either B&O speakers or any other brand.  The newer 9500 and 9300 models have Powerlink sockets for easy connection of active speakers, but the earlier 9000 can also work with active speakers as well.  All three models have a power amplifier for use with passive speakers.

Each model of speaker has its own "voice", so it will sound different to any other model of speaker with the same music.  This makes speaker choice quite a personal one, meaning that it is always good to hear as many different speakers as you can and choose the ones that you like the most.

My own choice would be Royd Minstrel (passive) for musical accuracy at low volumes, or Beolab Penta 3 (active) for power and drama with beat-driven music and action movies.

If you need any assistance with connecting your chosen speakers, please ask and I will be happy to help!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Loadoner
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Loadoner replied on Mon, Mar 4 2019 11:46 AM

As all three Beocenters (9000, 9300 and 9500) has 4x 8 Ohm output, I guess it's better to connect 4 x Beovox 3000 (8Ohm) then 4 Beovox 75 (6Ohm)  or does this work as good as the 8Ohm speakers? because I think that the 6Ohm will demand more of the Beocenter and as it's not that new anymore, better to stick with the 8 Ohm speakers..

Can someone advise?

Thanks!!!

Kronzilla
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 101
Bronze Member

I find to be the best sound, you need a speaker with a fairly high sensitivity. I tried for the fun my Magnat Transpuls 1500 (95db sensitivity), on all my tube amps they sounding very boomy( low damping factor) but on my bc9500 they sounding so spectacular detailed and the music is flowing with ease. The amp's don't need to work high with these very big speakers ( 15" woofers) . The Redline are very nice speakers but they are soo extremely low in sensitivity.... 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS