Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 9000 Repair

rated by 0 users
This post has 147 Replies | 4 Followers

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Jul 31 2015 8:13 PM

Thanks for providing a much needed rubber wheel kit Martin.

John

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Update - I applied Martin's wheel kit to my Beocord 8004 and now it is running better than ever. If you have a Beocord 800x - 9000 you must install this kit if your Beocord is still running on the old tires.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I started working on another Beocord 9000 unit today. It is in nice physical shape and I had one of Martin's rubber wheel kits left so I decided to start in on this before beginning my Beogram 8002 work.

The cassette mechanism of this deck was in good shape overall but did have the melted, gooey belts like so many of them do. I cleaned the mechanical parts up really good and installed the rubber wheel kit. I noticed a problem with the cassette door latch mechanism. The latch hangs up and returns very slowly. I took it apart (two screws and two springs) to see if it just needed new grease. The problem turns out to be with the molded plastic guides that the screws mount to. When the screws go into the mounts, there are small cracks in the mounts that expand and make the plastic guides press too hard against the metal lever plate.  With the screws removed (as in the picture here), the plate moves back and forth easily like it is supposed to. There isn't any room to really repair the plastic guides. I am thinking about possibly filling them with JB Weld epoxy, then re-drilling some screw holes for a smaller diameter screw. Has anyone else solved this type of problem?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Aug 23 2015 2:56 AM

I guess if I am to use a smaller diameter screw to hold the plate down as it operates I might as well just glue the screw into place from the start.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I found a couple small diameter screws of the right length and a couple of fiber washers. For the glue I used some clear E6000 glue I have used before. It takes about twenty-four hours to properly cure but will hold the screws in place. The latch plate moves smoothly now. I tested it using my finger to hold the plate down so not to cause any force on the screws yet. Tomorrow night I will find out how well this fix works.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

While the glue is drying on the new latch plate mounting screws, I re-installed the metal leaf springs (the ones with the ball bearing) after cleaning them and applying fresh grease. I also re-installed the rubber thrust wheel after taking apart and lubricating the mounting hardware. The tape deck record and playback heads are easiest to clean while the mechanicals are all apart. I took the opportunity to do that at this time.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

While the glue was drying I changed my mind on the repair and pulled the screws back out. I considered getting small diameter bolts and mounting them with nuts on the underside. Unfortunately only one of the two screws can be reached on the underside. The inner most screw comes in underneath one of the solenoid assemblies.

I also noticed that the eject switch is missing the plastic bumper pad. I could make a replacement pad out of JB Weld but I happen to have some spare Beocords I can borrow a switch from so I went that route. After cleaning the switch with Deoxit, I re-installed the switch, then re-glued the eject plate screws (going with JB Weld this time because it dries faster).

Here is what the finished rework looks like for the cassette eject mechanism.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Earlier I reworked the clutch assembly with the usual repairs - New rubber wheel from Martin, brass sleeves for the plastic that mounts to the pivot post.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is the flywheel and clutch assembly reinstalled with new belts from Martin.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

While the mechanical parts were apart I cleaned the switches with some Deoxit and Kimwipes.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is the last switch reinstalled.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The final step in the mechanical reassembly is to reattach the door damper.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I don't know the electrical condition of this Beocord 9000. I am thinking I will probably recap it but before that I might as well try out the restored mechanical assembly in the Beocord. Here is the Beocord ready for the cassette assembly.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The quick play test was a big success. The Beocord 9000 operates beautifully in Play, Fast Forward and Reverse. I can't recommend enough reworking the cassette mechanics on these decks (and Beocord 800x decks).  If it hasn't been done before, the owners should replace the two main belts, replace the rubber wheels, clean everything and lubricate the moving parts. If necessary, replace the thrust roller (pinch roller) as described on Beolover's Blog.
I didn't need to replace the pinch roller on this particular deck. It looks like it has seen very light use and the rubber is sound (no cracks or hardening).
Here is the first test play of the Beocord after the mechanical rework. I am also happy to report that the display elements all work.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I tested a few more cassette tapes I have recordings on. This new Beocord 9000 is playing them without any problem. This changes my plans somewhat. I am now going to hold off the recap of this Beocord for a bit longer. I want to try this unit recording some tapes in one of my working systems next. If I decide to part with this Beocord though, I will likely want to recap it so I can be sure the next owner won't have any problems in that area.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Another thing to consider in doing a full restore is the condition of the 3V Lithium battery. Especially if I end up selling this unit...I will want to make sure the battery is good. Like my recent Beomaster 5000 that had a soldered in Lithium battery, I will clip the battery leads instead of de-soldering the battery to avoid any explosive mishaps. That will be later though.

There is one cosmetic issue with this Beocord. A nasty  scratch on the top aluminum piece.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Nasty scratch John, and impossible to polish or sand out, it will just make it worse, I have tried everything on these but until now found nothing that does it.

An interesting thread as always from you, when I finish my BL/BM 5000, we will have to talk a little about a BG 4002/4.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Aug 24 2015 2:24 AM

Søren Mexico:

Nasty scratch John, and impossible to polish or sand out, it will just make it worse, I have tried everything on these but until now found nothing that does it.

An interesting thread as always from you, when I finish my BL/BM 5000, we will have to talk a little about a BG 4002/4.

Sure thing Søren. You know I always like talking about Beogram 4000 - 4004 turntables.
Regarding this Beocord, yes, I think it is best to just leave the scratch alone. These Beocord 9000 and 8004 series might be my favorite B&O cassette decks to work on now.

John

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Aug 24 2015 8:53 AM

Looking forward to the battery solution John! Re-calibrating every time won't be necessary when that's done! 

Jacques

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Aug 24 2015 2:41 PM

No need to wait for me to fix mine Jacques, Beolover posted some nice pictures of the repair on his blog.

John

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Aug 24 2015 8:55 PM

Oh, I missed that one!

Thanks!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Beolover is living in his own Beoworld, and we just love it Big Smile, the 3D printing pioneer work he is doing is also very interesting and important for all of us vintage lovers.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I connected this latest Beocord 9000 to a spare Beosystem for a recording test. The source was a Beogram 8002 with an MMC2 cartridge connected to a Beomaster 6000. I used a TDK SA-X100 cassette to record a couple of records (Ten Years After "Stonedhenge" and "Ten Years After"). I always liked Alvin Lee (sorry when he passed away a couple of years back). Fortunately I saw Ten Years After live a couple of times in the seventies.

I first ran a record calibration on the tape and the Beocord made an excellent recording. The more I use these decks the more I like them. As my Nakamichi Dragon ages these newly serviced Beocord 9000 decks may take over top spot in my collection. The SC80 cabinet in the picture is the first one I acquired. I replaced it with a better one that didn't have sun fading to the rosewood. Some day I need to take this cabinet apart and try to bring back some color.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I was so pleased with the performance of this new Beocord 9000 that I moved in with one of my main systems. It is now paired with my original Beogram 4002 (I purchased it in July 1978) and my original Beogram 8002 (purchased in December 1983). The rest of the components are Yamaha (C2a preamp, MX1000 power amp, T-2 tuner, S2300 SACD/DVD/CD and NS1000M speakers). This system really sounds good and I will likely keep this group of components together for a while.

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 9:08 AM

Hello John,

while waiting for my BM8000 donor unit there was t8me to work on my BC8004 .....thank you for your great pictures and inspiration.

now the FF ist working again 😁

one question in particular bugs me: looking at this picture of the drive there is a spring fitted on the outside which seems to have no purpose at all

as it does not connect to any swaying, turning or otherwise moving parts ??

I’d love to know what its purpose is - do you have any understanding/idea of that one ?

thanks

ALF

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 3:59 PM

Hi Alf,

I believe that is just a spare spring.

John

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Mon, Feb 11 2019 12:59 AM

Thanks John,

my thought precisely - probably only reserved for loyal B&O customers, spending more than $5K 🙄😁 at any one time

ALF

chilibt
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
chilibt replied on Wed, Dec 23 2020 1:00 AM

Hi, I had the same level problem and distortion after the first startup in the "new to me" 9000,  it turned out to be the line/din switch on the bottom.  Once corrected, it worked great.

Page 4 of 4 (148 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS