Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Problem with ML/NL and AUX

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 0 Followers

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg Posted: Sun, Oct 13 2013 11:15 AM

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem with my set-up between BeoVision 11 and BeoCenter 2. The link between the two systems runs perfectly with CD, Radio etc. But the AUX feature does not work at all. This has happened all of a sudden. It used to work without any problems. When I choose Line/AUX in the menu of the BV11 the BC2 does not turn on like it does with the other functions. Even if I manually select AUX on BC2 and on the BV11 there is no audio comming through. I find this very strange. Does anyone have an idea of what might be the problem?

Best regards,

Frederik

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Frederik,

I always thought that the 'Line/Aux' in the menu affects the interternal connection - not the connection on audiodevice connected.

Is your converter setup for the 'A-Aux'-source?

How does the system reacts to the 'A-AUX'-command from the Beo4?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 12:17 PM

Hi MM,

Yes, the strange thing is that I did not remember seeing the Line option before. I think it was called A.AUX on the BV11 before? Unsure When I press A.AUX with the Beo4 the BV11 turns on and selects LINE. The BC2, however, does not turn to A.AUX. When I select the other sources from the menu in the BV11 the BC2 reacts just fine for example with CD - thus the connection between the two works just fine. I have tried to change the role of the ML/NL to different roles using the interface. It has always been set to V-master, and so far it is the only option that will link them.

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 12:39 PM

Could it have something to do with that the BC2 does not recoqnize the "Line in" command it receives from the converter? It reacts fine to N.Radio, CD etc, but the "Line in" command in stead of A.Aux might be the problem as I see it. However I do not have any option to set the command to A.Aux instead of Line in Sad

1983beo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Bronze Member
1983beo replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 12:55 PM
It's because of a software update in the ml-nl converter. In de converter line in is now enabled but automatic been set to a.aux by accident so the system is not recognize the a aux from the beocenter 2.

You can disable the a.aux in the ml-nl converter manually in the login page or wait 1 week when B&O release a software patch to solve this.
Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 1:06 PM

Hi 1983beo,

Thank you for letting me know that B&O is working on a solution - that is fantastic news! Can you explain in greater detail what I have to do to make it work in the meantime? I have tried to let the A.AUX empty in the ML/NL interface but the BV11 still selects LINE IN and there is no audio comming through.

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member
SeebergDK:

Hi 1983beo,

Thank you for letting me know that B&O is working on a solution - that is fantastic news! Can you explain in greater detail what I have to do to make it work in the meantime? I have tried to let the A.AUX empty in the ML/NL interface but the BV11 still selects LINE IN and there is no audio comming through.

I'm guessing you have had you converter for a while? If you go to the back of it and pull back the white tabs inside the connection bay away, you will see a RCA line-in connection. That is what the NL converter is now seeing as the line in/aux command. Simply connect into there now if you like with your aux device and your back to normal. Simply hit the line-in/aux command as you had been and the audio will come through now.

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 1:22 PM

You are a hero! That solved it right away Big Smile Actually that is quite clever. This way the BC2 does not need to be turned on at all. Just perfect. Thank you so much Laughing

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 1:44 PM

and there is an powerlink connection and an IR eye connection on the BLC NL/ML (strip away the white stickers)

the software is updated to 1.2.4 with a lot more features.

I have connected the BS5e, yes the Encore, to the line-in of the BLC NL/ML and can listen to it on my BV11 and on other ML devices.

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 1:54 PM
If you don't have an audio system can you use this like the 1611 convertor I have my mac could I plug this into ml/nl and listen to my music through the link system??
BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

If it's all NL product your using then no 1611 needed. If your using NL & ML throughout the home, you'll still need the converter for the link rooms to operate correctly. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@BeoMegaMan and Carolpa,

easy now  - stop, not that fast!

Please a bit more detailed Unsure

1: Does that mean, that Frederik can connect the source (Playmaker, Encore, APE, PC/Mac....), that he thought should be connected to the BC2 to the NL/ML-converter direct (RCA-connection), and chooce it from the BV11 via 'A-AUX' command on the Beo4/the menu on the BV11???

And can this source be choosen from other NL-based BV's/more than one?

2: which are the "lot more functions" that come with the 1.2.4 software?

I have right from the start though/believed that this converter has more potential, than we would think at the first glance.

Since user Vienna  (where has he gone, by the way?) once revealed that the converter has the 'hidden connections' (the ones that Carolpa describes), I was quite sure!

Looking forward to hearing more of what this means for the NL and multiroom, and more.

Greetings Millemissen

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member

Re more feature on the NL/ML converter in the settings menu (under configuration) I noticed

• Explicitly specifying two NL connections (primary and secondary) so it shows my BV11 as primary and my V1 as secondary (not sure what this is supposed to do)
  • IR option (1,2 or 4) so definitely can accept IR eye (will hook up one in the week and see how it works)
  • Powerlink default volume can be specified as well as as line in sensing can be enabled - so presume this means the Powerlink sockets enabled (will also try later in the week and report back)

On the "Experiences mapped to NL" screen (also under configuration) you can rename the sources - this section essentially being the ML sources that are made available to NL (Radio, CD, N.Music etc.). I renamed A.Mem to Airplay so when i select A.Mem (button named Airplay on my Beo5) my BV11 / V1 shows Airplay as source and not A.Mem as it used to.

So it would appear as if in addition to the NL/ML conversion bit it's also possible to use in similar fashion to the old Beolink Active (IR and PL connections). This being the bit I'll try later in the week. Also given the now active RCA connections (A.Aux) it seems the perfect spot the plug in the Airport Express for Airplay over ML/NL?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks berlin2010,

at the time I read, that user Vienna had discovered the 'hidden connections', I immidiatly thought, now is the time to decide where (in your home) to locate the converter.

If it will work as a 'Active NL-Link', you surely must put it where you need an extra set of loudspeakers.

A pity for all of those who just hid it away - they might have to rearrange the setup to benefit from this new function.

P.S. RCA connection - I would rather "plug in" a Playmaker...and become an extra 'Line-in' in addition to the better DAC of the Playmaker and the AirPlay- and DLNA-support.

Looking forward to hear about the resuls of your 'experiments' Smile

Greetings Millemissen

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
berlin2010 replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 10:48 PM
Millimissen, you're right about the hidden away thing - I'm one of those who know need to rethink.

I'm actually planning on using the NL/ML powerlink to drive the BL8000's currently connected to my BS9000 (ie no longer have any speakers connected to BS9000) - reason being that even with NL/ML delay box, speakers connected directly to ML Audio Master still a few milliseconds quicker than rest of system when Audio Master is the source being distributed. So was going to use old beolink active but now will just use NL/ML converter.

Re playmaker, if I can get mine to actually work I might agree - got it earlier in the year with my BL9'd (the promo where you got a playmaker when you bought a set of speakers) never even took it out if the box until last month. Tried to set it up, noticed a software update available and that's where I got stuck. Flashing red light and no update... Should probably take it to the dealer to have it looked at.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@berlin2010,

Playmaker: I got mine as soon as they came out (one of the first).

I set it up (connected to the A-Tape port of my old audiomaster), never updated it or anything.

It works great since then.

Do give it a try - it is a great device.

MM

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

@BeoMegaMan and Carolpa,

easy now  - stop, not that fast!

Please a bit more detailed Unsure

1: Does that mean, that Frederik can connect the source (Playmaker, Encore, APE, PC/Mac....), that he thought should be connected to the BC2 to the NL/ML-converter direct (RCA-connection), and chooce it from the BV11 via 'A-AUX' command on the Beo4/the menu on the BV11???

And can this source be choosen from other NL-based BV's/more than one?

2: which are the "lot more functions" that come with the 1.2.4 software?

I have right from the start though/believed that this converter has more potential, than we would think at the first glance.

Since user Vienna  (where has he gone, by the way?) once revealed that the converter has the 'hidden connections' (the ones that Carolpa describes), I was quite sure!

Looking forward to hearing more of what this means for the NL and multiroom, and more.

Greetings Millemissen

#1. Yes this is correct, furthermore he can name it really whatever he likes in the menu on NL systems. And yes it will allow for multiple NL-BV's to listen in to the line-in connection, think of it as party-mode for NL. You can even have multiple converters, all sharing their Line-in on the network (in case you want to hear what your kids are playing on their local playmaker. 

#2. There are even more functions coming that I'm not a liberty to speak about, but it's only getting better with time!!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks BeoMegaMan,

"...have multiple converters" - that is nice, but the price of the converter will probably hold most people back.

Maybe we will get a cheaper 'converter without the ML-connection' later Whistle

The userguide on the website is now updated:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/da/customer-service/product-support/accessories/beolink/beolink-converter

and shows the new ir-eye with a 'join'-button.

As for 2: how long must we wait?

Probably something with 'multisource' and 'multiroom', which lets you decide where to play the source you chooce, and a better BeoRemote-integration - am I right? Confused

Greetings Millemissen

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

More features to be added if we are lucky, by end of year. Most likely spring next year. 

Technically, if you have the newer NL-BV's you are multi-source/room with the Beolink app and a MLGW...... I know what your saying though. 

I believe there is an app update as well, but when and what I'm not sure of. 

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
Any mention of video distribution (everything right now is audio only) - not a big deal for me since I already invested in the Atlona HDMI Matrix switch but an intriguing prospect?
BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Negative on video distribution. Can't imagine that would come from B&O anytime soon either. Your Atlona is as good as it gets for the time being. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@BeoMegaMan,

can the source connected to the RCA of the NL/ML be shared on the MasterLink (in a linkroom) as well - and how should it be activated/which Beo4-command is used?

Millemissen

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member
BeoMegaMan replied on Tue, Oct 15 2013 12:04 AM

Millemissen:

@BeoMegaMan,

can the source connected to the RCA of the NL/ML be shared on the MasterLink (in a linkroom) as well - and how should it be activated/which Beo4-command is used?

Millemissen

Yes, it can be connected and it can be operated via whatever you call it in the converter. Currently mapped to TV in the setup I just put in. It's Audio Master was a Type 1614 BeoLink Converter. Interestingly enough you can use the A.Aux input on the 1614 in the same way. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks for that info.

1614? Sure you don't mean the BeoLink Active and the 'PC'-in??***

If you have ML in the house as well, that is a good opportunity to have local sources.

But they can't be shared on the network like the ones on a NL/ML-converter.

I guess that, if you would have more NL/ML's with AUX-sources connected, you would have to name them different.- otherweise you would not be able to choose a specefic one.

It might become easier to 'see' these conected devices, when/if the BeoRemote-app gets updated.

***Or do you mean that the source on a 1614/1611 could be shared if that is connected to the ML-input of the NL/ML-converter??

Greetings Millemissen

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member
BeoMegaMan replied on Tue, Oct 15 2013 12:42 PM

It is a 1614 converter used as an AM to activate masterlink with NL. I can pull the source through the Aux in on the 1614 or the NL/ML converter, both do it. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks - in europe we use the 1611-version.

MM

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Oct 15 2013 1:50 PM

According to this thread the 1611 is a newer version of the 1614 - but I am not sure if it makes any difference in the application being discussed!

http://archivedarchivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/15138/113988.aspx#113988

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member

So had a couple of hours this afternoon and jerry-rigged some cables..... NL/ML Converter is stuck up in the attic, right next to the Airport Express i use for Airplay and they are respectively connected with a 20 metre Powerlink cable (used for Aux-in to BS9000 from AExpress) and equal length Masterlink cable to the BS9000 and BL8000's wall mounted in a different room (think that's the hidden away bit you were talking about Millimissen)

Anyway I disconnected the Powerlink Aux cable from the BS9000 and the two Powerlink cables connecting the BL8000's to the BS9000 and using a collection of splitters and joiners managed to get both the BL8000's connected to the 'Aux' Powerlink cable. The other end of this cable (in the attic) i dismembered and crimped on a RJ45 plug and used this crows nest for the NL/ML Powerlink to the BL8000's. For the IR Eye, I used one I had from a Beolink Active and used a normal RJ45 Patch cable (cat 6 foil shielded), cut of the one end and connected the requisite wires to the eye.

Works like a charm. All my NL sources as well as the ML source play on the BL8000's, volume control is fine and everything perfectly in sync with the sound from my BV11.

Very impressed with my NL/ML converter - initially thought this to be incredibly expensive for what it provided but it's growing on me.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 10:10 PM

berlin2010:

Works like a charm. All my NL sources as well as the ML source play on the BL8000's, volume control is fine and everything perfectly in sync with the sound from my BV11.

Very impressed with my NL/ML converter - initially thought this to be incredibly expensive for what it provided but it's growing on me.

So the Airport Express is now redundant ?  Does that go for any future Playmaker is this configuration ?

BeoNut since '75

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
berlin2010 replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 10:34 PM

Not quite - I haven't connected the Playmaker yet. I am going from the Airport Express to the line in on the NL/ML Converter.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

In the updated userguide of the converter, you can see the Playmaker as 'an example" for the RCA-connected device:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/da/customer-service/product-support/accessories/beolink/beolink-converter

IMO that is the way to go.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 11:24 PM

berlin2010:

All my NL sources as well as the ML source play on the BL8000's

berlin2010:

Not quite - I haven't connected the Playmaker yet. I am going from the Airport Express to the line in on the NL/ML Converter.

Idea

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 11:27 PM

Millemissen:

In the updated userguide of the converter, you can see the Playmaker as 'an example" for the RCA-connected device:

All my NL sources as well as the ML source play on the BL8000's

It was the absence of the third source - and jury-rigged wiring connections - in the original post that confused me

BeoNut since '75

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
berlin2010 replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 12:45 PM

Update was released - version 1.2.5

Release notes below

• BLC: Sound switch between ML and NL is also set on reselecting source, might help on occasional "no sound" issue.
  • BLC: Fix for #129027 and #129196: 1) A.AUX is enabled on "Configuration->Experience mapped to NL" web page; 2) Default relation to IR /AUX/ command is changed from "LINE IN" to ML AUX; 3) User has to configure button for BLC "LINE IN" in connected TV-s (or use TV [SOURCE LIST] menu) and in BLC "Configuration->Sources visible on ML" and "Configuration->IR mapping" web page. Note: On SW update (happens only 1st time after SW update) IR relation to "LINE IN" becomes relation to A.AUX as it is impossible to detect whether the product was powered up because of SW update (/AUX/ = "LINE IN") or just normal power up sequence (/AUX/ = AUX). Doesn’t affect users who have older SW than 1.2.4.
  • BLC: Fix for #129246: When connection to BLC is removed then BLC changes its "Connect to (primary)" in "Configuration->Settings" web page to itself, becoming integrated master until another product connects to it with "SHARE SPEAKERS" = YES.
Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 8:15 PM

What's the release note for software version 1.2.7.0

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member

Chris:

What's the release note for software version 1.2.7.0

• General: Volume offset/fixed volume setting is added to the Line-In source.
  • HWTest: Fix for #129769 (KE9454) - Service tool can now use backup/restore on replacement PCB-s.
  • General: Fix for #127877 (KE9128) - System log is now stored on a regular basis to get more info in Service Report after reboot.
  • BLC: Fix for #129812 (KE9476) - Overcome corrupted NL configuration file where products don't see each other.
  • General: Partial fix for #126967 (KE8935) - The product can now still boot up if previous FPGA flashing has failed (e.g. due to power loss).
  • HWTest: Fix for #130643 - Avoid BLC going to a fixed IP address 169.254.11.22 after mains dropout if router is slow in starting up its DHCP server.
  • BLC: On changing network delay, delay is applied to sound runtime (previously swithcing to another source was required).
  • BLC: Due to different volume between Line-In and other players, mute with duration of network delay has been added.
Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 12:15 PM

Thank you for this very important information, hard to get otherwise.

Looks like its more of technical fixes to the unit. But the Line-in works excellent now, and the unit is very stable.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Just found out about this old thread and it appears to confirm that what I am trying to accomplish should work.

My setup: ML/NL converter connected to 1) BV7 via ML, 2) Ethernet via NL, 3) Airport Express via line-in

I was hoping that I could airplay to my BV7. When airplaying to the airport express, it shows as playing, but no audio reaches the BV7. Or I don't know how to acticate the right channel. Thought it would happen automatically via ML-sensing, but not the case.

Any ideas?

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Sep 8 2016 11:19 PM
any idea how I can the line-in/aux working of the ml/NL converter? see more context above. thanks in advance.
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Sep 8 2016 11:44 PM
any idea how to get the line-in of the ml/NL working. more context above. thanks for your help.
Page 1 of 2 (48 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS