Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 7000, which pick-up?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Bartux
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Bartux Posted: Sat, Nov 2 2013 6:56 PM

Hi!

I recently bought a beogram 7000 for my beosystem 7000. I knew that I bought the beogram without an MMC pick-up.
Im just wondering which pick-ups you can use?
And is it possible to buy another brand? (I know that Bang & Olufsen pick-ups can be quite expensive)

Hej!

Jag köpte nyligen en Beogram 7000 till mitt beosystem 7000. Jag köpte en beogram utan en MMC pick-up i.
Jag undrar bara vilka pick-ups jag kan använda?
Är det möjligt att använda andra märken? (Jag vet att Bang & Olufsen pick-ups kan vara väldigt dyra)

Best regards/Bästa hälsningar Olav 

Mogelmose
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
Mogelmose replied on Thu, Feb 13 2014 10:17 AM

There is a company in US that proclaims they can rebuild the Beogram to P-slot = other brands pickups.
But i think it would be too expensive

Soundsmith makes a MMC4 "copy" for 199$. If i see at other brands cartridge prices i don't think that is so expensive event though you have to get it to Scandinavia. I would go that way and keep the beogram as it was supposed to be.

Or else you can buy a used MMC (1 is the best. 5 is.....) and send it to germany for retipping.
Just remember that an old pickup has some suspension which can get bad aftert many years of storage.
Therefor i recommend to all of my friends to "just" take the Soundsmith even though its not 100% original.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Feb 13 2014 12:28 PM

De enda pickuper som passar är B&O's egna MMC1-MMC5.

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-SYSTEM-Cartridge/

//Bo.
A long list...

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

I used to buy Sound-smith SMMC4 to fit to B&O turntables that I supply to clients. However, I have not bought any for at least 3 years!

I now get all my B&O cartridges refurbished by Axel Shuerholz at http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/MMC-Repair-English/

I have been delighted with Axel's work and the cost is very much less than Sound-smith, especially when carriage and import duties are taken into consideration.

He often has stock of cartridges that he has refurbished.

I understand that Axel replaces the suspension in MMC 1-5 type cartridges and they do sound as good as the originals.

I have my MMC2 and MMC4 refurbed as near as possible to their original spec. As the cartridges themselves are actually all the same, it is possible to get an MMC5 upgraded to any of the stylus/cantilever options.

Regards Graham

Hubbe
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
Hubbe replied on Thu, Feb 13 2014 2:23 PM

Såg att du skrev på svenska. Jag har också en Beogram 7000 sedan många år tillbaka. Licenstillverkningen tror jag att Soundsmith har numera. Min kom med en original MMC2. Har dividerat fram och tillbaka om jag ska skicka den till Axel som nämns i tråden eller om jag ska köpa en helt ny MMC1 från Soundsmith. Jag tror B&O återförsäljarna kan hjälpa dig att beställa från Soundsmith. Vet att min lokala har gjort det åt någon kund.

For you english speaking persons. I wrote that I also own a Beogram 7000 and that mine came with an OEM MMC2. I have been considering sending mine to Axel or buying a new MMC1 one from Soundsmith. My local B&O dealer has ordered from Soundsmith for some customers. Another option is to ask Axel to refurbish my MMC2 to a MMC1.

To bad you can't  listen to them separately and choose the one you like the most. Also I don't know how good a Beogram 7000 can sound. If it´s worth spending money on an expensive pick-up for average sound. How good is a Beogram 6500/7000 series compared to a new "budget" Rega vinyl player? Has anyone tried the most expensive Voice pick-up från Soundsmith?

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

The MMC1 is just a selected MMC2. Axel will not be able to make you one.

I know that we are mostly pro B&O but the Beogram Type 59XX turntables are not so good and I doubt that it is worth spending any more money than the standard MMC2 although Axel will fit slightly more expensive diamond shapes.

I can't tell the difference between MMC4 and MMC2 although my ears are 65 years old now.

Regards Graham

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Mogelmose:
There is a company in US that proclaims they can rebuild the Beogram to P-slot = other brands pickups.
But i think it would be too expensive

Benny Amina.  Prices vary.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS