Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Cleaning an MMC20CL stylus on a Beogram 4002...

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

holdencx
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
holdencx Posted: Wed, Apr 11 2012 6:52 PM

Hello all...

This is my first post.  I have a Beogram 4002 with an MMC20CL, which I love.  I haven't found a good way to clean the stylus.  The Discwasher stylus brush isn't thin enough to fit under the stylus when the tonearm is in its resting position.  (There's not a lot of room between the stylus and the top surface of the turntable.)  I don't have the original brush.

Any suggestions?  Are there low-profile brushes?  What do others do to clean the stylus of a cartridge mounted on a 4002?

I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything.  Thanks for any help.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

The B&O stylus brush works just fine.

Regards Graham

holdencx
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
holdencx replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:18 PM

Thanks, but like I said, I don't have the original brush. Are they available for purchase somewhere?

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:22 PM

For the SMMC20EN on my BG4002, I use the Mobile Fidelity system.  I think I purchased it here.  Works great.

holdencx
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
holdencx replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:45 PM

Thanks.  Does that brush fit between the stylus tip and the turntable while the cartridge is mounted?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder

I use an original brush, but i take the cartridge off! I have never had a problem with 20 series decks , unlike the MMC1-5 range, though I know some people have had the plastic prong break off. I confess also to using alcohol on the stylus , but never let it run up the cantilever!

Peter

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:30 PM

holdencx:

Thanks, but like I said, I don't have the original brush. Are they available for purchase somewhere?

What's so special about the original B&O brush. It's just a piece of plastic with a brush and B&O text on it.

You need one?

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Leslie:

holdencx:

What's so special about the original B&O brush. It's just a piece of plastic with a brush and B&O text on it.

You need one?

The original brush is small enough to be used with the cartridges still mounted on the decks, as there isn't too much clearance between the aluminum panel and the cantilever.

I tend to use some 99% isopropanol (isopropyl) on a Q-tip once a month for a more thorough cleaning.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

holdencx
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
holdencx replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:34 AM

Leslie:

You need one?

Yes, where can I get one?  I'm a little nervous about pulling my cartridge off every time it needs to be cleaned.  Like Soeren said, the original brush is small enough to fit under the cartridge without taking it off.

Additionally, has anyone tried those solid state (gel) stylus cleaners?

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

I have head a lot of good things about using magic eraser for cleaning (read the instructions online, you have to lower the cartridge onto a small pad of it), it may be used as an alternative Smile

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

holdencx
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
holdencx replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 5:38 PM

Thanks.  The magic eraser sounds good.  I'm going to give it a try...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Magic E read here

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

And here, good tip

holdencx
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
holdencx replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 6:23 PM

Søren Mexico:

And here, good tip

Gracias!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

One more, best explanation

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

holdencx:
Gracias!

De nadaBig Smile

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

A USD 0.02 SMMC4 cleaner

1. Buy Original Magic Eraser pad, cut to size, use the rest for cleaning aluminum, plastic, inox and what so ever.

2. Insert a clean unused tooth pick end, 5 Mm. into the flat end of the ME piece.

3. Just dip the pickup needle into the professional pickup cleaner a couple of times, if very dirty scrape carefully with the pointed edge of the professional pick up cleaner.

3. Result, the pics taken before cleaning came out bad, but there is a difference to be seen, I'm not a professional photographer, I'm a professional pickup cleaner Laughing

holdencx
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
holdencx replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 8:03 PM

Muchos gracias! 

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 5:52 PM

holdencx:

Thanks.  Does that brush fit between the stylus tip and the turntable while the cartridge is mounted?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  (The new forum has one check a box to have replies emailed to you.  I'm still not used to that, as the old forum one would get automatic replies.)

Yes, the "dry" brush just fits between the cartridge/stylus and the turntable.  There is also a "wet" brush that is attached to the inside of the cleaning solution bottle cap.  The "wet" brush is the one I use most often.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS