Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Copying from VHS to DVD

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig Posted: Mon, Dec 23 2013 12:19 PM

Dear members,

I have an Avant type 8430 with DVD2 linked through Scart. Is it possible to copy material from the integrated VHS in the Avant to a DVD?

Rgds,

Kai

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Dec 23 2013 3:27 PM
Hello Kai,

yes that's possible. But you have to copy VHS to the harddisk of DVD2 first and then to burn a DVD.

Regards

Räuber
Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Hi Räuber,

thanks very much. The DVD2 is pretty complicated but that's very good news.

Rgds,

Kai

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Dec 23 2013 4:34 PM
Yes, DVD2 is a real "hell-machine". But I was successful to copy my VHS videos to DVD two years ago before selling my Avant. If I remember correct you need VTAPE2-command on Beo4.

Meanwhile I don't use my DVD2 anymore, because disktray doesn't open and I think it's not worth to repair.

Greets

Räuber
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Did you then manage to see the VHS/DVD's?

Was it worth the efford and time it took?

N.B. You could still use the DVD2 as a harddiskrecorder.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Dec 23 2013 6:01 PM

Is it worth the effort? How do they look? 

Ive done this with a stand alone DVDR/VHS deck, it makes it really easy. Just put in a blank DVDR, load the tape, and press the dupe button. Quality is as far as I can tell identical to the source tape, no better, no worse. Which is to say somewhere on a continuum between bad and excreable. Even LDs don't look very good on a modern display, with the DVD copies of tape you get the same resolution limits, noise, and chrominance issues the tape had. 

But, I have a number of tapes that will never ever make it to DVD, which I like to be able to watch at least sometimes. The content outweighs the quality issues. I think one of the advantages of ripping them to a PC before burning them to DVD is the ability to clean them up a little, but I've not gone that route. I did have a Harman Kardon home theater receiver that had the Faroujda video processing engine in it that was able to help a fair amount over unprocessed tape, but there was still no way to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 

Still and all well worth the effort if you have irreplaceable stuff...if its available on DVD buy one and skip it. But, I'd suggest doing it now if you are going to do it, VHS tape degrades over time and it ain't going to be getting any better if you wait. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Dec 23 2013 6:07 PM
Millemissen:

Did you then manage to see the VHS/DVD's?

Was it worth the efford and time it took?

N.B. You could still use the DVD2 as a harddiskrecorder.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

One of the VHS videos was from my wedding, ask my wife if the effort and time was worth! 😍

N.B. No need to use the DVD2 as a harddiskrecorder, because I use a HDR2 with my BV 10 and it's not possible to make timer records with DVD2 from the HD module of BV 10.

Greets

Räuber
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 1 2015 7:44 PM

Raeuber:
Yes, DVD2 is a real "hell-machine". But I was successful to copy my VHS videos to DVD two years ago before selling my Avant. If I remember correct you need VTAPE2-command on Beo4.

Meanwhile I don't use my DVD2 anymore, because disktray doesn't open and I think it's not worth to repair.

Very old thread I know, but I just bought a DVD2 on German eBay (was it yours, Rauber?).  The DVD drawer often stuck closed, but only when no DVD was inside. I took the cover off and opened the DVD mechanism; after some time looking for worn gears or plastic sliders catching, I realised that the drawer drive belt was slipping, hence not strong enough to disengage the lower DVD lower clamper from the top magnet when there was no disc inside.  Not having a new drive belt, I replaced it with a 'loom band' (in pink), and it now works perfectly!  (For the purists, I do now have a proper belt on order, but I think I will see how long the loom band lasts first!)

This is my first experience of a DVD2, and I have to say what an appalling user-interface it has!  Was it ever popular?  I was going to use it in a spare room with a BC6, but have decided to dust off a DVD1 instead.

Whilst in the 'repair' mood, I also dug out a V8000 that just showed a screen full of white snow when playing tapes. I tried cleaning the playback heads using the paper and alcohol technique but to no avail.  About to give up, I resorted to Google and found the slightly dodgy advice of holding a pencil eraser lightly against the revolving drum whilst playing a tape.  The chap on the forum's actual words were 'and watch the picture appear' - he took some stick from others for actually suggesting such a crude approach to repair!

With nothing to lose I tried the eraser technique and, low and behold, watched the picture appear!!  It's now working beautifully!

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, Dec 2 2015 6:26 AM

Guy, congrats to the DVD2 and for your creative way of repairing it! :-)

Do you have a picture of the repaired drive section?

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Wed, Dec 2 2015 6:38 AM
Guy:

Very old thread I know, but I just bought a DVD2 on German eBay (was it yours, Rauber?). The DVD drawer often stuck closed, but only when no DVD was inside. I took the cover off and opened the DVD mechanism; after some time looking for worn gears or plastic sliders catching, I realised that the drawer drive belt was slipping, hence not strong enough to disengage the lower DVD lower clamper from the top magnet when there was no disc inside. Not having a new drive belt, I replaced it with a 'loom band' (in pink), and it now works perfectly! (For the purists, I do now have a proper belt on order, but I think I will see how long the loom band lasts first!)

This is my first experience of a DVD2, and I have to say what an appalling user-interface it has! Was it ever popular? I was going to use it in a spare room with a BC6, but have decided to dust off a DVD1 instead.

Whilst in the 'repair' mood, I also dug out a V8000 that just showed a screen full of white snow when playing tapes. I tried cleaning the playback heads using the paper and alcohol technique but to no avail. About to give up, I resorted to Google and found the slightly dodgy advice of holding a pencil eraser lightly against the revolving drum whilst playing a tape. The chap on the forum's actual words were 'and watch the picture appear' - he took some stick from others for actually suggesting such a crude approach to repair!

With nothing to lose I tried the eraser technique and, low and behold, watched the picture appear!! It's now working beautifully!

Hello Guy,

no, DVD2 you bought on Ebay was not mine. Some months ago I was successful to open the DVD drawer by pressing the button many times. But after insert a DVD and watching it there was no chance to open the drawer anymore (only 'BLOCKED' on display). I didn't try to repair it, although I want the DVD back!

Was it easy to open the cover and the DVD mechanism (I have no service manual). Where do you get a proper belt from? I only got the info that a new DVD drive would be needed for replace, but 200 € isn't worth.

Regards

Räuber
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Dec 2 2015 11:32 AM

Hi Raeuber,

Glad you saw the post!  I did have the manual but it was quite easy to open the player anyway.  Four Torx screws on the back release the large aluminium cover, which slides backwards and then upwards.  There is another top plate underneath, and you need to undo all the screws around the edge before it too lifts.  The large black plastic CD mechanism has two screws at the front/top - once they are undone you can unclip the front section of the mechanism which allows access to the CD/DVD inside.  If you wait until I get my new drive belt I will take a few photos when I fit it.

I ordered this drive belt: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231645307484?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

... but the size was a guess based upon measuring the old one and reducing by 10% for shrinkage - I will let you know if it works!

Regards

Guy

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Dec 2 2015 11:35 AM

TWG:

Guy, congrats to the DVD2 and for your creative way of repairing it! :-)

Do you have a picture of the repaired drive section?

Many thanks! - as stated above to Rauber I will take a couple of photos when I fit the new belt.  Hopefully it will arrive in the next few days.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Wed, Dec 2 2015 1:42 PM
Hi Guy,

thanks a lot. If it works for you I will try it also between the years.

Regards

Räuber
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:58 PM

New thread started to show repair.  See here: http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/17554/153213.aspx#153213

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS