Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram CD 5500 tray doesn't open

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Shack997
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
Shack997 Posted: Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:09 AM

Hi there,

I have just joined the forum and have been a big B&O fan for many years.  I hope I can pick your brains for some immediate help though...

I have just purchased a Beosystem 5500 on ebay and it arrived yesterday - unfortunately the are a few problems with the various components.  Firstly the tray won't open on the CD.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  I wanted to check in before I start aimlessly pulling it apart to see if anyone had some advice.

Thanks! 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

If its like the BG CD 50, check for loose or broken belt. Can you hear the tray motor turning. ??

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Shack997
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

If its like the BG CD 50, check for loose or broken belt. Can you hear the tray motor turning. ??

Thanks for the reply - not much noise that i can detect, the tray bumps slightly but fails to open.  I might open it up and check the belt - thanks!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

That the tray bumps is a good sign, maybe a little cleaning and lubricating may do it, if the belt is OK

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Tue, Jan 7 2014 2:05 AM

To me, it sounds like the transport screws are still in place. Take a look at this, taken from the original manual:

/Dennis

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Right Dennis, thats the first thing

Shack997
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Dennis:

To me, it sounds like the transport screws are still in place. Take a look at this, taken from the original manual:

/Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I'll double check the screws as soon as i get home tonight.  Appreciate your help!  Let you know how I go...

Shack997
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Hi Denis,

Sorry I remember I had checked the transport screws and they were in the holding slots as opposed to the secured transport position, so it must be something else.  The system was well packed in bubble wrap and well insulated from knocks, but I guess this is sensitive equipment.

I might try checking the belt later tonight, unless you have any further ideas. thanks!

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Odds are the belt has stretched and is therefore slipping.  You can order a new one from member 'Dillen' (Martin).  Installation is pretty easy and he includes instructions.   I once fixed one simply by applying a small amount of anti-slip belt dressing.

Shack997
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Great to know, thanks.  I'll open her up and check it out tonight - see what I find.  Let you know how I go.

Shack997
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
Shack997 replied on Tue, Jan 7 2014 11:47 PM

Hi guys,

I took the top off last night and inspected the belt and tray.  After giving it a bit of a clean and a tap here and there, managed to get the tray to open and close.  The belt is OK, though is showing signs of perishing.  Interestingly, a spare band has been left packaged inside the box, so may replace the old one when I feel a little more confident.

Thanks for you help and feedback, most appreciated!

I'll start tackling my next two issues - being noisy turntable motor and no output from the amp.  Will be back in touch if I can't resolve, you guys are great!

Cheers,

Shef. 

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:19 AM

Regarding the noisy turntable motor - I had a similar problem with mine then I first got it. It's probably been stood unused for a while.  Run the turntable at 45 RPM for half hour or so, that will sort it... 

Lee

Shack997
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Lee:

Regarding the noisy turntable motor - I had a similar problem with mine then I first got it. It's probably been stood unused for a while.  Run the turntable at 45 RPM for half hour or so, that will sort it... 

Lee

Hi lee, thanks for the tip!  I will give that a go tonight.  I assume it has been standing idle for a while at the last owner's place.  I have tried not to use it much so far as i was worried I might do more damage.  See how I go.

mcgarrke
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
mcgarrke replied on Mon, Jan 18 2016 9:04 PM

hI did yo get the BG cd 50 working, can i ask is the loading belt and drawer connected with the laser operation, i noticed my belt is broken last night

it was a set i was given, i corrected the loading drawer which was all over the place, but the belt is gone when i opened it up.

thanks

Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS