Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 8000 Demands Warm Up

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Mark Cearley
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Mark Cearley Posted: Sun, Jan 19 2014 1:18 AM

Hi All. Upon cold start my Beomaster 8000 has started requiring about 10 min before anything but "off station" like static is heard through FM. After warm up it will play whatever station pre-set it was activated with or if started with "0" it eventually will start playing the station it was tuned to previously. After warm up it operates normally until next cold start.

I have a cap kit from Dillen on the way but wanted to know of possible likely suspects ahead of time.

Thanks in advance.

Jacquesboo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 171
Bronze Member

Hi and welcome,

Considering my experience, I can say you that the 8000 is a wonderfull but very complex amp. Mine had a sad end (burned...). I do not know your skills but even with the help of my tech and even with Martin cap kit, I have not been able to fix it. 

Changing cap can help to solve some issues but if the problem comes from the microprocessor (not repairable in my view) or any other part of the machine, it will resolve nothing. Be carefull, opening, removing cards and then closing everething is really a hard job (depending on your skills, mine are close to 0).

There are a lot of experts of this amp here in the forum my mistake was probably not asking them more questions or sending it to a competent tech who knows the machine (even if shipping could be expensive).

I hope you will be able to fix it,

Best regards,

Jacques

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 6:40 PM

Jacques is right, there could be more issues then just replacing caps!

Brengen & Ophalen

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 12:03 AM

Read through this project: Beomaster 8000 Project
It ended up successfully but had plenty of ups and downs. You need to be careful and go slow.  Make sure you have a service manual and the proper tools. In the end, I think it is fully worth the effort to get the receiver back in good working order.

Mark Cearley
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Thanks Everyone. Yes I suspected there could be other issues besides caps. I guess I'm hoping there is a "most likely"  cause for this set of symptoms. Is it reasonable to think since it is Time dependent that it is likely Heat dependent? And Heat dependent would point to connecter or solder / trace issue?

Thanks

Mark Cearley
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Sonavor, thanks for the thread link. Look like a good one!

Mark Cearley
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Sonavor, thanks for the thread link. Look like a good one!

Sorry for the double post. Guess I don't know how to delete it.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 7:36 AM

Check the opamps.
Some types are quite noisy depending on temp.
Give them a burst of cooling spray one by one.

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:54 PM

sonavor:

Read through this project: Beomaster 8000 Project
It ended up successfully but had plenty of ups and downs. You need to be careful and go slow.  Make sure you have a service manual and the proper tools. In the end, I think it is fully worth the effort to get the receiver back in good working order.

In all respect for your excellent thread John but I think this is a job what only experts can or will do especially for the BM8000. Watching your thread you have been using quite sophisticated measuring instruments. Wish this beast wasn't that heavy or else I would send mine to you for repair! My BM6000 quad is in repair by Olly (Step1) and that's a complicated thing as well. Even my own tech keeps his hands off of those machines. No skills, no drills!

Brengen & Ophalen

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS