Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Oppo Find 5 Mobile Phone - Any Good??

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE Posted: Sun, Feb 9 2014 8:57 PM

It comes with great sadness and a heavy heart that I've come to admit I'm sick of my iPhone 5 running out of battery and shutting down at 43%, apps crashing, freezing, dropping signal and running slow - so I'm looking at 'other brands' for the first time in years...

I've read the Lumigon thread with interest, I've looked at Vertu (although the price does make me cough) - and stumbled across the 'Oppo Find 5' whilst searching for a Blu-Ray Player..

Does anyone have any experience of the Oppo Find 5 ?

Please don't suggest HTC, Samsung Galaxy, Sony etc to me - if i'm going to ditch the iPhone i want to go decidedly 'left-field' and get something you don't see very often.

Discuss!  Smile

Lee

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

I was tempted by the Oppo before I took the Lumigon plunge, but I was put off by reviews suggesting that it was plasticky and not particularly nice to handle.

The Lumigon T2 is a great phone to handle and use, despite the comments in the Lumigon thread!

Graham

TerryM
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Bronze Member
TerryM replied on Sun, Feb 9 2014 9:48 PM

I have had an Oppo Find 5 for quite some time, and have found it to be an excellent phone in terms of build, and screen, quality, reliability, the UI, and speed of operation.

I purchased mine from www.oppostyle.com 

They have the 32GB 'International' version for sale at EUR349.

If you are looking for a device with a larger screen, Oppo also has the 5.9 inch screen N1

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 9 2014 10:03 PM

TerryM:

I have had an Oppo Find 5 for quite some time, and have found it to be an excellent phone in terms of build, and screen, quality, reliability, the UI, and speed of operation.

I purchased mine from www.oppostyle.com 

They have the 32GB 'International' version for sale at EUR349.

If you are looking for a device with a larger screen, Oppo also has the 5.9 inch screen N1

It's a nice looking phone, and if it's of the same type of quality as the BluRay player it will beat the Lumigon on the technical front.

I was swayed by reviews (right or wrong) and the glass and stainless steel of the Lumigon, and the ICEpower, and the remote control function.......

Graham

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Feb 10 2014 9:49 PM

I don't understand why you don't just buy the best phone, whether it be HTC, Samsung, LG or Sony. I know you said no but I think you're kidding yourself if you think that any particular model looks different enough for anyone else but you to notice, let alone care! While you pride yourself on being different others will almost certainly have better phones that look pretty much identical to yours! Looks are even less important if you are one of the majority who burden their phones with flappy cases etc.!

The mainstream manufacturers will get you the latest OS's and the best, most responsive and latest hardware - fringe players will mean you will almost certainly be lagging behind in both.

Or...............to be truly different, get a Nokia Lumia, high quality materials, best cameras, left field!

Ban boring signatures!

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Feb 11 2014 9:36 AM

I agree with Puncher: Buying a phone just for beeing different is a (software support) problem nowadays! I had a LG Optimus G Pro. Very nice phone but no update, bugfixes etc. - which is annoying as the G PRO is such a great phone.

I bought (again) a Sony. This time the Z1 and in terms of build quality (aluminium and glas) I'm very happy with it. It's waterproof. Sony delivers updates and bug fixes (which most phones REALLY needs these days!) and the software skin is subtle in terms of designs and does not look like a bonbon or comic desktop.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Feb 11 2014 10:07 AM

The B&O Serene was a really nice phone to use with its circular push button keyboard, and as it was also marketed as a Samsung you might have thought that its software would be up to date with regular bug fixes etc. However, in my experience it was only of any real use as a phone plus text messaging. It was hopeless at connecting to the web and downloading anything.

The lesson here is that even if your 'Niche' phone has a major phone manufacturer behind it it may not have the performance or support you were expecting.

The Lumigon is a nice phone: you just have to accept that it is single core running Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Not the very latest Android system, but you would be very happy with it if you did not know that there was a later Android version. Just the same problem as with TVs. Because someone has brought out 4K TV's a lot of people on this forum are suddenly dissatisfied with their current TV. Go figure!

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS