Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Something rattling in my Beolab 3500?

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort Posted: Sun, Feb 16 2014 12:32 PM

I have recently aquired a sec ond life BL3500. Its about 10 years old and I have it on a wall mount.

I now notice that there is a rattling/vibrating sound coming from the left part of the speaker when I play certain music. Its when there are passages when there are more bass instruments I can hear it.

Its clearly not the wall mount or anything like that vibrating. I have looked at the speaker without frets and see no evidence on that someone has been e.g. removing the speakers or anything.

Is this a problem that anyone else have experienced?

Any hints?

/C

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 12:51 PM

I suspect that you have 'foam rot" which is where the rubber connecting the paper speaker horn to the frame has split. You can with try repairing the speaker (there's a guy in Holland who supplies kits) or buy new ones from a B&O dealer - I think that I paid about £60 per speaker unit.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 1:17 PM

I repair these woofers.

They become hard and get cracked around the outerside of the roll.

I use the new rubber rings with more flexibility and more bass at the end.

But that's only one problem of the BL3500. More foam is behind the display, which can cause malfunctions with it's display or ML behaviour.

I've fixed several and/or modyfied them for centerspeaker using (the MCL connector)

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 1:19 PM

You can remove the grills by sliding them to the left or right side.

At first sight you will not see the cracked ring. But by touching them, you can see and will hear the same cracking noise.

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Hungedu replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 2:47 PM

This is a common problem with BeoLab 6000 speakers as well. BeoLab 3500 are basically the same speakers cut in half. The problem with the dried out cracked foam happens after 10 years or so. Easily fixed.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 5:22 PM

The woofers have the same diameter, but are a bit different. 

The Beolab 6000 has 2 woofers and a tweeter where the Beolab 3500 has 1 woofer and a tweeter on both sides for each channel.

The woofers have rubber surroundings and get hard and are not made of foam.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 10:34 PM
Beobuddy:

You can remove the grills by sliding them to the left or right side.

At first sight you will not see the cracked ring. But by touching them, you can see and will hear the same cracking noise.

I have inspected the woofer on the side where I have heard the noise but the "foamrings" looks and feels okay. I would suspect foamrot to be very evident by looking at the speaker element.

Can it be something else?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 7:19 AM

As you already felt. The rings are very stiff. These aren't made of foam.

You can easily overlook a cracked ring. I would suggest to play some music when the grill is removed.

By touching the woofer you wil infuence the cracking noise.

If this doesn't work, then I suspect you have a leaking SMD capacitor around the audiochip. Also not visible, but noticable by the smell when you touch it with a tip from a soldering iron.

Bop
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Bop replied on Sat, Mar 20 2021 2:17 AM

Hi, I also have a problem with the righthand speaker in my 3500. I removed the grill and noticed that part of the black foam around the edge of the speaker has fallen out. Also when I played music through the speaker with the grill off some more of the foam fell out on high volume. As I am in Australia do you supply repair kits for this unit and do you supply instructions on how to replace the foam/rubber.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 1:52 PM

Bop:

As I am in Australia do you supply repair kits for this unit and do you supply instructions on how to replace the foam/rubber.

Welcome to the forum Smile. Reading your post it sounds that you think you are communicating with B&O.

You are not. This is a forum for B&O enthusiasts but I'm sure someone could advice where to source material for re-foaming your speakers.

There are some really knowledgeable people on this forum Smile

Bop
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Bop replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 12:23 AM

NioI know its a Forum but I noted that one of the members said that he repaired these speakers, but obviously I can't send the 3500 to Europe from Australia. Hence my query about being able to buy the parts from somewhere!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 3:29 PM

Bop:

NioI know its a Forum but I noted that one of the members said that he repaired these speakers, but obviously I can't send the 3500 to Europe from Australia. Hence my query about being able to buy the parts from somewhere!

Great. Thumbs Up

Hopefully someone will respond with advise on where to source the foamrings. 

BL3500 is a gem, so its worth wile to maintain them. 

Bop
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Bop replied on Thu, Mar 25 2021 12:33 AM

Hi, I also have a problem with the righthand speaker in my 3500. I removed the grill and noticed that part of the black foam around the edge of the speaker has fallen out. Also when I played music through the speaker with the grill off some more of the foam fell out on high volume. As I am in Australia do you supply repair kits for this unit and do you supply instructions on how to replace the foam/rubber.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Others on the forum have used replacement kits from audiofriends.nl for their Penta midrange speakers.
Bop
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Bop replied on Sat, Apr 10 2021 7:33 AM

Hi, I  have a problem with the righthand speaker in my 3500. I removed the grill and noticed that part of the black foam around the edge of the speaker has fallen out. Also when I played music through the speaker with the grill off some more of the foam fell out on high volume. As I am in Australia do you supply repair kits for this unit and do you supply instructions on how to replace the foam/rubber. Any information welcome.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Bop:

Hi, I have a problem with the righthand speaker in my 3500. I removed the grill and noticed that part of the black foam around the edge of the speaker has fallen out. Also when I played music through the speaker with the grill off some more of the foam fell out on high volume. As I am in Australia do you supply repair kits for this unit and do you supply instructions on how to replace the foam/rubber. Any information welcome.

Did you try contacting audiofriends as suggested in my post of 26Mar?
Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS