Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolink 7000 Charger Voltage Conversion

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

auric
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
auric Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2012 12:19 AM

Hi:

Does anyone know how to convert a 220V beolink 7000 charger to 110?

Thanks,

Derek

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:57 AM

New charger or new transformer, I'm afraid. I seem to recall the transformer has only a single primary winding.

(I deleted the duplicate thread)

--mika

auric
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
auric replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 6:12 PM

It has dual primaries.

Can I just  put them in parallel?

Derek

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 6:48 PM

Hmm... If they are now in series, I guess so (after giving a good thought over which way they should connect!).

Funny that the service manual doesn't show that all. Wouldn't be the first discrepancy between those and the real life, though. I might open mine to take a look, but can't do it tonight.

--mika

auric
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
auric replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 1:29 AM

Hi Mika:

Would you be so kind as to do so when you have some free time?

Thanks!

Derek

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Here is it... take it with a grain of salt especially if your part numbers don't match, I don't take any responsibility, etc.

There are indeed two primary (110V) and two secondary (7-8V?) windings and both are connected in series in this 220V model. I've marked the polarities of the primary windings with the yellow dot. To convert this model to 110V, I'd rewire the primaries so that the dotted ends are connected together to incoming mains neutral, and the non-dotted ends together to the mains fuse.

To be sure, I think I'd disconnect the secondaries, feed some lower voltage into the mains input (say, 12 V~) and see if the secondaries still output a proportionally correct voltage (700 to 800 mV~ in this case). At least verify the output voltage of the entire charger (9-10 VDC) before placing your Beolink on it Smile

--mika

auric
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
auric replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:10 PM

Thank you for going to the trouble. Much appreciated.

How did you figure out the polartiy on the transformer?

Derek

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:15 PM

auric:
How did you figure out the polartiy on the transformer?

Just by how the windings are connected - if one of the windings went the other way from how I marked it, the magnetic fields would cancel each other and there'd be no output on the secondary. When they are connected in series, the second winding needs to carry on in the same direction the first one did.

Also, they are often brought out like that in other transformers as well. I guess it is some manufacturing issue.

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS