Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Headphones

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Nick
Top 150 Contributor
Nottingham
Posts 785
Bronze Member
Nick Posted: Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:21 PM

Hi all,

We had a thread a long while back about headphones and everyone had allsorts from grado to senheisser, how good are the B&O headphones (form1&2) not the in ear ones? I have grado s80's which are nice but bulky!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 8:43 AM

Not as good as a decent pair of Sennheisers. Have stopped using B&O headphones as they sound less good and are less comfortable. A8s are useful for outside but are fragile. I use HD600s but also have a pair of Grado RS1s.

Peter

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 10:19 AM

The A8's are versatile, I use them almost daily. I bring them on trips/holiday where I also use them daily, on the beach etc.

Many have reported them to be fragile, but mine have been very durable for the 5 years or so the I've owned them.

I also have the Form2. Better sound, but they are quite awkward. 

Last week I tried a 2000 euro pair of headphones, Ultrasone edition 10 (limited edition). They sounded honestly not much better than the Form2's. I couldn't believe it. I was thinking of buying them as I would have gotten a super deal on them, but heck-no! Not worth much more than a few hundred.

Too long to list.... 

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 12:51 PM

I have A8, Form 1 and Form 2 (only missing the U70!)

I have had my A8s for about 5-6 years and they still work great! Had to change the plug, but otherwise no problems!

The Form 2s look  good, and are comfortable to wear (you forget that you have them on), but doesn't sound that good. Quite a lot of bass, but not very good midrange.

The Form 1s sounds much better, more detailed and what sounds like a more linear response. They are not very comfortable though, especially if you are wearing glasses.

I use the A8 while on the move and the Form's while home (but not that often, I do like my Pentas better). Quite excited about the new B&O Play headphones!

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 4:05 PM

bayerische:

Last week I tried a 2000 euro pair of headphones

For 2000 euros I'd rather pay someone to walk behind me holding a pair of Beolab 4000's each side of my head!

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 5:47 PM

I have A8's and an earset 3. In all honesty I hardly ever use them. Turns out I don't care for music on the go.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 8:52 PM

I 've given my set of A8's to my brother. I use them hardly. But they sound compared to other sets very open and clear. You can wear them all day long.

I use an AKG 401. Sound also very open and isn't the least brand of headphones also.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Stonk:
For 2000 euros I'd rather pay someone to walk behind me holding a pair of Beolab 4000's each side of my head!

LOL. LOL. LOL

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 4:45 AM

By now everyone should know how I feel about my A8s - I love them to death!!! They are great for on the move - can play loudly and clearly with little fuss and don't leak too much sound to annoy those around you. Absolutely great all around. Regarding durability, they are fine. Unless, of course, you are really rough with your things. They sound absolutely amazing but are definitely not the best headphones period. Regardless, I fully recommend them. 

I didn't like the Form 2s - at first. I have definitely come around to liking them a lot. I don't use them very much because I primarily use headphones while on the move and I simply choose my A8s for this, at home I listen to my BeoLabs. The Form 2s are great when listening at home, BeoMaster/System or iPod. The sound is noticeably deeper and richer than the A8. I find it to be a very even and Beo-sounding phone. Only small detail is they are slightly too power hungry for sources like iPods and such, much better results can be had with a headphone amp.

As far as non-Beo goes, there are much better options. I think the AKG K701 is a very, very serious contender in the premium can market. Absolutely brilliant. Other brands of note are audio-technica, Denon, Fostex, high end Sony, other AKG, Shure, Westone, Yamaha, as well as the aforementioned Sennheiser and Grado.

Beo4 'til I die!

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Stonk:

bayerische:

Last week I tried a 2000 euro pair of headphones

But you would need a long cord. Big Smile

Honestly they were horrible for the price. No

Too long to list.... 

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Although I own Form 1s, Form 2s and A8s, I am finding I listen to Sennheiser HD650s with all my B&O kit with the old 1/4"  socket and a pair of Sennheiser PX100.2s with the 6500 and the BS 2500, as well as with the odd ipod and an old G3 Powerbook.  Whilst the 650s are much more expensive than the B&Os (and sound it) the PXs are a real bargain - 40 GBP or thereabouts.  Excellent value.

Cleve

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 7:47 PM

Hi have a pair of A8's since a week and I like them a lot so far. The sound is very clear and leveled out. Could maybe have a bit more bass, but I am used to Sony Ericsson in-ear headphoses that came with my Xperia phone. Since the sit deeper into the ear the sound is more 'heavy'. A bit to much to my taste as it is hears as a sort of 'loudness on' setting that I don't prefer.

I was at an apple store recently and saw these headphones, this is not Form 1 or Form 2 , correct? What is it?

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:10 PM

That is the Form 2. This is the recent color updated version with the "pregnant B" logo instead of the script logo.

Beo4 'til I die!

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:46 PM

Thanks Evan!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Just bought a pair of these

Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone

Refurb 38 USD, I dont use them to much, mainly for checking doing repair, and when moving around items. My old pair of Sennheiser must have some 20 years, but your thread made me realize that it was time nowBeer only smiley I likeSuper Angry

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 9:28 PM

I have a Form 1 set that I bought from Lifestyle AV.  To be perfectly honest, I bought them (1) to support this site, and (2) just to own B&O headphones.  (I also bought a Beomic just to own a B&O microphone.  Call me infected, what can I say?)

I rather like the Form 1s.  I wouldn't want to wear them for more than, say, the length of a movie, but I'm happy with the sound.

What I like best about them is their flexibility.  I've used them with B&O receivers from the 1970's, my computers, NAD receivers from the 1980s, my iPod (before it was stolen), and recent Sony HT receivers.  No issues using them with any of the above.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:32 PM

I'm currently testing the Spirit One from Focal, a well-known french audiophile company, and they seem to be the best value for money headphones I've tried at 199€ (at this price you get the headphones, a carrying case, a protective pouch, adapters for airplanes/big jack, and... a 3 button+microphone remote for iPhone. And note that the cable can be changed because it's connected to the headphones with a 3,5mm jack). Only downsides : design could be simpler, cleaner, and... They are outsourced Cool

I hope that I will be able to get the new Philips Fidelio L1 headphones soon to compare, they impressed me after a quick test at the IFA...

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS