Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Measure your Beovox S80 stands please

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

John
Top 500 Contributor
Yorkshire England
Posts 104
Bronze Member
John Posted: Sat, Mar 1 2014 10:05 AM

Has anyone a  S80 stand they could measure, I have S45-2 stands so I only need Base L x W  and height please.

TIA, John.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 10:12 AM

W265 x D255 x H515 mm (height includes the plastic cap on the top of the bar)

--mika

John
Top 500 Contributor
Yorkshire England
Posts 104
Bronze Member
John replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 12:47 PM

Thank you Mika, for all your help, one last question, does the rear piece lean from the vertical ? mm.

Thank you again, John.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The upright has a 3° inclination to the back from vertical

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

John
Top 500 Contributor
Yorkshire England
Posts 104
Bronze Member
John replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 5:45 PM

Thank you Soren,  Mmm 3 degrees I make that 20 mm from vertical measured at the top of the plastic cap. Is that correct?

John.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

20-25 mm something like that, looks like this

John
Top 500 Contributor
Yorkshire England
Posts 104
Bronze Member
John replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 7:13 PM

Thank you Soren, looks like you are making a pair, I am about to start making mine. I notice that the vertical corners on my S45-s stands are not welded, only welded on top and under the stands and the welds stop 2mm short of the corners. It would be very difficult to make a perfect internal and external vertical welds. While it is easy to grind the top and bottom flat.

Good luck with yours, John.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I made mine some 2-3 years ago, http://archivedarchivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/35659/295993.aspx#295993 I used a mig welder, the outer corners are no problem, the inner corners I welded and grinded down with 1/4" reamer in the grinder

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 9:44 PM

I remember it well amigo! That was quite a craftsman's job that was. 

Jacques

John
Top 500 Contributor
Yorkshire England
Posts 104
Bronze Member
John replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 11:16 PM

So it looks like there are many variations for the S80 stands. My main concern is that I don't chose the wrong upright angle and make the speakers unstable / top heavy. My understanding is the S45 stands have a 15mm "neck" and the S80 stands have the cross bat fixed to the upright with no neck and a plastic bung in the top of the upright. Thanks for the link to making the stands.

John.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 11:23 PM

My S80.2 stands (correct and original for them, for all that I know) do not have that neck you mention. It seems that if you adjust the speakers to vertical, the front of the actual cabinet (not including the resin front) aligns with the front edge of the stand.

I don't think there's much reason to worry about them being top heavy, the majority of the weight seems to be in the bass driver's magnet, and it's quite low, nicely above the center point of the stand.

--mika

John
Top 500 Contributor
Yorkshire England
Posts 104
Bronze Member
John replied on Sun, Mar 2 2014 10:13 AM

Thank you Mika, that helps a lot. I see yours are S80-2,  I wonder if the S80-2 has mounting holes at a different  height to my S80, my reason for asking I have seen 78cm as mine will be,  also 70cm heights quoted on Ebay?  I think 70cm tall would  look better with my SC70 + Beocenter 7002. Anyone care to comment?

John.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Mar 2 2014 11:30 AM

I have a pair of the 51,5cm high stands.
They have a broken screw at the bottom of one of the vertical bars that will have to be drilled out and they
are in need of sanding and a respray.

Martin

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

johnpc:
Thank you Mika, that helps a lot. I see yours are S80-2,  I wonder if the S80-2 has mounting holes at a different  height to my S80, my reason for asking I have seen 78cm as mine will be,  also 70cm heights quoted on Ebay?

On my speakers, the mounting holes are exactly in the middle of the rear, so that makes the mounted speaker ~77 cm high.

Interestingly, the old architect I bought them from had drilled new mounting holes in the speakers to make them sit ~9 cm lower - and I have to admit they looked better that way to me as well!

--mika

John
Top 500 Contributor
Yorkshire England
Posts 104
Bronze Member
John replied on Sun, Mar 2 2014 2:10 PM

Thank you Martin, But I have everything ordered and looking forwards to making them later this week.  I may make the stands shorter so the speaker tops are level with the SC70 cabinet. Mika, The Fixing holes are half way down my S80.

John.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS