Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beosound 5 encore, NAS and switch

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:05 PM

Hi Guys,

I own since 1 year now a BS5 Encore. I recently bought a new NAS (Synology) and make it work with it without any trouble (except the 3 days MOTS calculation...)

After some home rearrangement, I put this NAS in another room, after a small switch.  Everything was working, and I was happy until I add a new album.

It seems the BS5 Encore cannot reach the NAS for the MOTS calculation.  I can play the album without any probs, but the MOTS is blocked since 2 days and the NAS turned off with no activity.

Normally, during MOTS calculation, the BS5 access the music storage and there is disk activity on the NAS.

If you have some hints or experience return, please let me know.

regards

Eric

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:57 PM

Sorry guys, It seem the problem was a corrupted rip song.Embarrassed

But this raise another question.  

Is there a way to access a detailed protocol of the MOTS calculation, to avoid searching (via listening) among the new added track the corrupted one ?

thanks

Eric

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:10 PM

No, the MOTS calculations are totally silent, without any error log accessible (as far as I know...)

I will soon upgrade from my LaCie 2big Network 2 NAS to a Synology DS412+... Happy to ear that there is no problem with this config. (the LaCie has a poor Twonky implementation : the index of songs is frequently corrupted after an hibernation)

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:18 PM

Hello Mbee,

Thanks for your confirmation of what I expected about the MOTS Angry.

I have the Synology DS212J, the media server should be the same on the 412, and it works like a charm, Nothing to report, all songs were correctly indexed,  better than before on my WD running Twonky 6.  Tha tags are completely recognized.  

a real pleasure

Lars
Top 500 Contributor
Munich
Posts 146
Bronze Member
Lars replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:18 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to add a question which came to my mind using a NAS. Do you know if the BeoSound  / Core 5 buffer some tracks once it plays the music from  a NAS. I am wondering because I am using a Synology 411 for many purposes and in case I might upgrade to a BeoSound / Core 5 some time I do not want to have lags etc.

Thanks

BS9000, BC6, BC2, BL3, BL11, BL3500, BL2000, BeoTime, Beo EarSet2 3i, Beo, BEO DropStop, BEO Bottle Opener, BeoCom5 including Table Stand, ATV

Christmas Prize Draw 1st Winner 2010 - THANKS A LOT!!!

Struer Trip 2012 - THANKS A LOT!!!

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:46 AM

My observations tells me that the BS5E seems to load the whole file quickly before starting reading it. More than a buffer... For radio, there is a buffer (which can be modified using the settings menu).

I've also seen that the BS5E network is currently working only at 100Mbit/s protocol (vastly sufficient for music listening)

Lars
Top 500 Contributor
Munich
Posts 146
Bronze Member
Lars replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:52 AM

Hi mbee, 

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

True 100Mbit/s is sufficient for music listening, I was more wondering about the capacity of my Synology. In case it runs out of bandwidth the BS needs to have some buffer ;-)

Thanks; -) 

BS9000, BC6, BC2, BL3, BL11, BL3500, BL2000, BeoTime, Beo EarSet2 3i, Beo, BEO DropStop, BEO Bottle Opener, BeoCom5 including Table Stand, ATV

Christmas Prize Draw 1st Winner 2010 - THANKS A LOT!!!

Struer Trip 2012 - THANKS A LOT!!!

hslange
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
hslange replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:00 PM

Look like I have a similar issue.

My BS5 Encore can reach the NAS (I have a QNAP with Twonky 6.0.39), play songs, but MOTS is not progressing at all.

Today I reconfigured my NAS to only show about 20 albums (just for testing).

After 3 hours, MOTS is still busy, but 0% completed.

How did you find out the corrupted song, I can't seem t find one?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Herman

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:48 PM

Hi Herman,

there is no simple way to find a corrupted track, but normally, it is not played by BS5 Encore, I just listen to every tracks one ny one, and detected some faulty tracks.

I just removed them from the NAS and it worked.

A possibility is to look at the weight of a track.  More than 50Mb takes time for the MOTS, and more than 100 Mb could be an audio master with not readable by the Encore, I had this case too. 

Good luck

Eric

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:48 PM

Hi Herman,

there is no simple way to find a corrupted track, but normally, it is not played by BS5 Encore, I just listen to every tracks one by one, and detected some faulty tracks.

I just removed them from the NAS and it worked.

A possibility is to look at the weight of a track.  More than 50Mb takes time for the MOTS, and more than 100 Mb could be an audio master with not readable by the Encore, I had this case too. 

Good luck

Eric

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:02 AM

Studio Master songs of a quality superior to what is supported by the Encore (24/96 max) doesn't makes any problem with MOTS. One of the solution could be to buy music instead of stealing it, I've got no problem with Qobuz-downloaded tracks Whistle

Now I have a big question for you Erandlux :

I just installed the DS412+ for a test ride. I installed the multimedia package, and at first, there was no cover displayed on the Encore. Then went in the settings to tick the box  "use this kind of files for cover art : folder.jpg; Folder.jpg...".
So I now have covers, but of a poor quality (there was no issue with the Lacie NAS, the covers are all 500x500px at least).

And an other issue : the metadata are well transmitted as I get album/artist OK, but when playing a track, the title is the file's name, ie "song.flac" or "antother-song.m4a" I don't want to have the file extension appearing on the BS5!!

Do you have some ideas to solve this issues?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 2:23 PM
mbee:

Studio Master songs of a quality superior to what is supported by the Encore (24/96 max) doesn't makes any problem with MOTS. One of the solution could be to buy music instead of stealing it, I've got no problem with Qobuz-downloaded tracks

Now I have a big question for you Erandlux :

I just installed the DS412 for a test ride. I installed the multimedia package, and at first, there was no cover displayed on the Encore. Then went in the settings to tick the box "use this kind of files for cover art : folder.jpg; Folder.jpg...". So I now have covers, but of a poor quality (there was no issue with the Lacie NAS, the covers are all 500x500px at least).

And an other issue : the metadata are well transmitted as I get album/artist OK, but when playing a track, the title is the file's name, ie "song.flac" or "antother-song.m4a" I don't want to have the file extension appearing on the BS5!!

Do you have some ideas to solve this issues?

diisign.com

This is a Twonky setting issue. If you can and know to access the Twonky files in your Nas (Linux) it is quite easy to change
mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 2:48 PM

I'm currently discovering the Synology philosophy... But you're telling me that you have to access the system files to change that, there is no user interface in DSM4.0 (and even in the Twonky setup)??? That's quite strange...

If you explain me what to do, I will try...

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 4:50 PM

See http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_SSH_into_your_QNAP_device for the access of your NAS.

If set-up correctly you can access the file system with Terminal (Apple) or Putty (Windows; download from the net)

go to /usr/local/"twonky_or_something_like_this"/cgi-bin (command: cd /usr/local check for the name of the Twonky directory with the command: ls than cd /usr/local/"twonky_or_something_like_this"/cgi-bin)

1. try with renaming the files convert-jpeg.desc and jpeg-scale.desc to f.e. convert-jpeg.$$$ and jpeg-scale.$$$ (command: sudo mv convert-jpeg.desc convert-jpeg.$$$)

OR 

2. open the file jpeg-scale.desc with nano (command: sudo nano jpeg-scale.desc) and change the content to

#rescale jpeg images

#(c) 2008 by PacketVideo

exec: cgi-jpegscale $infile $outfile 500 500 $targetrotation

#capabilities

from=image/jpeg

to=image/jpeg

scale

synchronous

3. restart Twonky (http ://<server(nas)_ip_address>:9000/rpc/restart     in a browser on a pc/mac in the same LAN)

With Twonky 6.0.30 1) worked fine to adjust the scale of the covers. The last time I changed the settings (method 2) for Twonky 7.0.7 (I didn't check if the 1st method still works)

note: the directory for Twonky in a QNAP may be different.  All Linux environnements I checked so far though used the above directory. 

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 6:45 PM

I didn't noticed the lower quality of the album cover, since i just, as you explain in another thread, select a track and let the MOTS play all the evening, but i had a look and you are wright, album covers are not displayed as before, it seems the media server downgrade the quality.

in the DSM4, on the media server parameters, the flag "transmit images in low resolution" i not set, So it should be OK.

I will check on the web and forums , If I find something I will let you know.

For your other question, I do not have the extension name in the tracks name on the BS5 Encore, 

In the parameters, I have "title only" selected in the "format d'affichage de la musique".

I am not certain the Synology runs a Twonky server,I tried the common twonky access with no success

Concerning Quobuz, I also never encounter problems with downloaded tracks. Stick out tongue

hslange
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
hslange replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 6:47 AM

OK, I made progress thanks ot some of the suggestions given here. It turned out that the folders with my music (bought not stolen Big Smile ) contained sometimes additional files. A BMP file and an index file from Picasa that ran on my PC seem to be the issue. After removing these files, BS5 recognised all music quickly, also adding music was immediately recognised. MOTS is still not making a lot of progress, but I will explore some more.

Looks like BS5 is VERY strict on what's in the music folders. I didn't have any issue displaying and playing Twonky content from PC, iPad, iPhone or any other device.

Herman

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 1 2012 11:16 PM

I'm still trying to configure my Synology NAS : I think I've managed to display the song title only, and not the song title + file extension (the Encore is still analysing the library, so I will confirm that later). The "title only" parameter to display the music was already chosen, but I also ticked "Show video's title using embedded information", and that (strangely, because we're not talking of videos here) seem to do the trick.

For the cover art issue, I think I'm lost... The only option about cover art resolution : "Transmit low resolution images instead of the original images" is un-ticked...

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 1 2012 11:46 PM

It seems that I'm not alone with cover art resolution issue...

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=33506

That's a big drawback for my "upgrade" to Synology...

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member

I also search around, I found there is a few 3d parties packages available for the Synology.

Another media server called Serviio, I tested it but not with the encore, the resolution on my mac where really bad, so I did not made the test on the encore (3 days MOTS calculation each time you try another media server).

There is another option, installing twonky on the synology, but we need strong linux knowledge to do it since there is not package to do it.

I did not test it, but it should solve the problem.

erandlux
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
erandlux replied on Wed, May 16 2012 6:46 PM

the solution is the following :

If you are using the latest version of DSM and Media Server, please change the profile of your devices to "Default Profile with original cover" under Control Panel > Media Server > > "DMA Compatibility" > Device list.

then relaunch the scan of media from beosound 5 Encore, and you find back your original cover art.

It seems, the BS5 Encore keeps the cover art images locally and does not stream them with the music.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS