Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord stuck in fast forward?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

S220
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
S220 Posted: Mon, Mar 3 2014 9:41 AM

I recently purchased a Beocord 5000 and everything worked great until a few days later when it chewed up a tape. I tried another two tapes and sure enough after a few minutes they would also get chewed up and I noticed the tape counter was going faster than it should. I looked inside the tray itself and noticed that one of the metal bars (circled in the picture) was spinning constantly even when there was no tape inside:

My assumption is the Beocord has somehow got stuck in fast forward, is this a common problem? I really don't want to have to return it because everything else about it works fine and it's in great condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

I have a BC 6500, which is auto-reverse and therefore has 2 capstans.   Both rotate when there is no tape present so that's normal.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

This is indeed a feature of the pizza box Beocords (and many Beocenters from same era). The capstan(s) start turning when you first operate the Beocord, and then the motor and the capstans stay running until you put the system in standby. Silly, but normal.

As to why it chewed the tape, I dunno - but my first guess is that it needs new belts unless they have been replaced in recent years.

--mika

S220
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
S220 replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 10:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. That explains the spinning, but I'm still unsure why the tape counter started going faster. The guy I bought it from said the belts had been changed recently which makes me dubious that they could be the problem, unless he was pulling a fast one!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 6:05 AM

The counter is not counting minutes/seconds.
It counts faster than 1/second at the beginning of a tape.

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 8:55 AM

If you have a functional Beocord 5000 that plays music, why bother?

The real question is: why did it chew the tape?

It does so when the right spool stalls at some point. So you will have to check on the mechanism anyway. A brake problem? Was the thing re-assembled properly?

Jacques

S220
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
S220 replied on Wed, Mar 5 2014 10:21 PM

The tape counter is fast all the time, not just at the beginning of the tape - it definitely wasn't like that before!

As for the re-assembly I assume it was, since it was playing tapes fine a few days ago. I've noticed when it plays a tape the right spool constantly judders every half-second rather than rotating smoothly - is that a sign of a brake problem?

Andrew
Top 500 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Mar 6 2014 2:48 AM

Brake or belt problem.
The unit will chew tapes because either the tape isn't being taken up correctly by the take up spool, or because (in some small cases) there is junk on the pinch roller.

My advice would be to take the deck apart and determine why the take up spool keeps pausing, you will be able to see if its a slipping belt or brake issue.
Drew 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS