Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Apple TV Sales hit $1 billion

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark Posted: Mon, Mar 3 2014 1:38 PM

I read that Apple TV have generated $1billion revenue for Apple in 2013 (sold approx 10 million units).

Should the likes of B&O embed this into their TV's or should they manufacture a plain (no disrespect) screen/speaker set up allowing the user to purchase and customise a STB and gaming console focused for their country and needs ?

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 1:52 PM

The BV11's got a space in the back for an appleTv , I'm getting mine installed this week.

A marriage made in geek heaven

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,059
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 2:24 PM

When the BeoPlay V1 has been launched, some says it was the "iTV" ! Smile

I think they were right !

A different design from the masses, a perfect integration with the Apple TV, a powerful remote, a premium sound, lots of connections,... Embarrassed

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 2:29 PM
I would buy one if it was DLNA

Itunes is so boring to use

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 2:34 PM

Shame they got rid of coverflow. I can't stand the new UI , the non resizing of films / album covers is terrible.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

olvisab:
I would buy one if it was DLNA

Itunes is so boring to use

I use my ATV's every day intensively!

I never use iTunes - why should I?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Mark:

Should the likes of B&O embed this into their TV's...

that is not possible - at least untill Apple allows it (which most likely won't happen).

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 5:00 PM
Hi mm

How do you stream your content?

The atv can't connect to a NAS by dlna or upnp

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No problem!

There are lots of DLNA app's for iDevices - PlugPlayer, 8Player......

Most of them do AirPlay from the app.

Find your audio content on the DLNA-server and push it to the ATV.

On pre-NL tv's juat hit 'AV' before you choose the input of the ATV - or 'P.MUTE'.

Same goes for internet radio - my prefered app is TuneIn.

Of cource you will need the iDevice as well, but in that case you have the 'controller', where it belongs - in front of you!

You don't need a big screen to listen to listen to music.

Besides - using Spotify Premium, Wimp Hifi, Qobuz Hifi or any other online music service is much easier with the iDevice/AirPlay.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 7:00 PM
"Push it to airplay" wireless only ?

Blu ray definition through airplay seriously?

If it is only for audio purpose it is not usefull for me.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Ah - you want 'video only'!

Maybe you should start looking for  another device - at least if you don't want to jailbreak the ATV.

I'd be happy to hear about a 'similar solution' that works Unsure

The thought of 'bluray definition' didn't occour to me, since you talked about 'iTunes being boring'.

If you want 'bluray definition' go for a BRP and good old discs - or buy a BIG harddrive and start to rip/making ISO's.

If you can live with less, just use the Netflix app - that is what a lot of people have bought the ATV for.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 9:41 PM
I just want to say that nothing will replace a good NAS , dlna device or built in, for streaming high quality audio or video, the atv is far from this.

That´s what I use and will still use for many years.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

'A good NAS' - OK, I couldn't agree more.

"dlna device or built in" - what does that mean?

Could you be a bit more specific - which device are you talking?

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 10:27 PM
Any separate dlna device ( ps3, dlna player like WD TV...) or built in into the tv (smart tv).

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

olvisab:
Any separate dlna device ( ps3, dlna player like WD TV...) or built in into the tv (smart tv).

Well - for video that might be right (if one isn't going the Apple-way there).

But which device (internal or external) supports an ISO of a Bluray disc - not just a compressed file??? 

You wrote "Blu ray definition", so I guess you want the best!

For music I stopped using DLNA long ago - actually I am using a Logitech Media Server and a Squeezebox Touch (connected to the line-in of my Playmaker) and controlled by the SqueezePad app or the iPeng on an iPad for that.

On my new V1-32 I used the DLNA Media Player (for music) once!!!

Please try to find a specific album or artist with that interface - when you have a collection of about 850 albums on the NAS Unsure - without a search function.

And for streaming from Spotify and for internet radio I use AirPlay (from the iPad) - there is no similar DLNA-based way of doing that.

No need for turning on a big screen, if you just want to listen to music.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 11:21 PM
According to the fact the NAS streams the file, the device supports it without problem.

My blu ray rips are all lossless.

There are tens of dlna apps that index the content of your nas.an alphabetical index helps you find your albums. You will probably have to pay some euros for these apps but they do the job.

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 11:26 PM
Millemissen:

And for streaming from Spotify and for internet radio I use AirPlay (from the iPad) - there is no similar DLNA-based way of doing that.

The beosound 5/BM 5, what else?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sorry to say it - but I have tried these tons of apps (sure you mean servers) already.

The servers may do a good job (indexing), but if your client/player has a miserable interface, I am out!

Please name a player that supports playing Bluray-ISO's over DLNA, and is able to decode the HD-sound formats!

By the way - I don't want to spend my time  'ripping' my Bluray's, I don't want to pay for the harddrive capacity, that is needed (and for secure-backup also) for a 40-50 Gb file - if you are, please do it.

And - it is not legal to copy Bluray discs anyway!

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

olvisab:
Millemissen:

The beosound 5/BM 5, what else?

The BS/BM5 is not DLNA based!

The BM5 has a DLNA server built-in - that can be activated, and used by other clients on the same network.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 11:54 PM
The dlna server is visibly always activated because it is seen by all my dlna devices and I never activated any server myself on the bm5.

So, the dlna server is certainly a main part of the bm5 system.

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 1:09 AM

Millemissen:

actually I am using a Logitech Media Server and a Squeezebox Touch (connected to the line-in of my Playmaker) and controlled by the SqueezePad app or the iPeng on an iPad for that.

iPeng is perfect for using Spotify and internetradio. Stable connection straight from the source and no transcoding. It’s beyond me why you prefer separate apps depending on Airplay and drain the battery of your iPad.

Millemissen:

The BS/BM5 is not DLNA based!

The BM5 has a DLNA server built-in - that can be activated, and used by other clients on the same network.

If DLNA is enabled on your NAS, the BS5 will see that. So how do you explain the BS5 is not DLNA based?

The built-in Twonky in the BS5 has nothing to do with that. It’s just another server that you probably won’t use if you have a decent NAS.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 4:14 PM

would it be possible for Apple to use B&O  to offer a premium quality service for the likes of iTunes, iRadio and Apple TV add this to iOS appearing in cars it which would strengthen B&O's automotive arm by offering a complete music solution.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 5:54 PM

I just wish Apple would buy bno

Assure their future like Ford when they bought Aston Martin

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member