Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Maybe OT, danish loudspeakers manufactorers

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member
Christian Christensen Posted: Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:39 PM

Sometimes I wonder if not Denmark have most loudspeakers manufactorers per land area in the world.
The list would be long including all historical brand..please help with what I have missed

( lets exclude eventual 1000  factories in China in this thinking )

VIFA - do they still make elements ?

Peerless - elements

B&O 

Jamo - they do elemts themselves too ?

Seas - Norwegian but factories aswell in Denmark and emploees have 90% of the stocks

AudioVector

Scanspeak - elements

Dynaudio - also elements

Tangent

Dali

Scandyna

Eltax

Hiquphon

Rank Arena -history

Audiola - history

Pope -history

Aristona - history.

Dynacord - history , the name now lives as an american brand ? 

Can you add more to the list ?

JBL, Carwin Vega and Inifity have had their loudspeakers designed and manufactured for the european market in Denmark, who did this design and assembling ?

What  more can be said about Danish loudspeakers  ?

Wondering why such a strong loudspeaker cultured derived in the small Denmark ? and almsot all of it is darn good stuff

My re-capped M75 are my precious diamonds.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Mar 5 2014 5:10 PM

The electrodynamic speaker as we know it was invented by Peter Laurids Jensen who was danish.
(He also invented the wireless telephone BTW).

Videbaek Højttalerfabrik = Hroswitha, called so after the ancient name for the danish town of Videbaek, was also a danish brand.
Shield was also danish. Possibly the export name used for Hroswitha.

I believe Jensen Speakers was also danish before moving to the UK.

In Sweden you had Sinus in Stockholm/Vaarby, which was also used by B&O, you will find them in the earlier versions of Beomaster 900K, both
in grey and black versions.

Pope was, I seem to remember, a swedish sub-brand of Philips. Later Dux.

Martin

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

In Sweden we also had Luxor which made their own elements.
They made some very unique deisgnes over the years.

One of their majestic designs were Luxor Orchestra, from early 80th a transmission line spekaer with very high sensitivity. Today a cult a refurbed by many swedes 

high quality elements, and still loved by many swedes

Luxor, due to traditional bad swedish sale technique never made it outside Sweden 

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

In Finland, we have at least ten speaker manufacturers currently, and plenty more that are gone - but we do have more land area as well Smile

The internationally best known are probably Genelec, Amphion and Gradient (and possibly Unmonday soon).

--mika

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

Genelec, that sits in 95 % of all studios around the world.
Mika, isnt it so that Genelec have become so sucsessful that they employ almost an entire city in FInland

Have used them in my professions for almost 2 decades.
Love and hate issue for me. ;).

Love because they sound so ubelievable clear,
hate, because my sound mixes sound crap when listened in other speakers. It takes time to learn how use them as professional tools, due to my own opinion

Funny OT, the biggest genelec studio monitor was used at Stockholm municipal biggest acting theatre stage as a PA speaker for years.

Excluding elemnet manufactorers, we have plenty today in Sweden that supply our domestic market.

Rauna, Carlsson, Audio Pro, JWS, DLS,Marten,, XTZ,, QLN,,Proson, and many more, but they aim for Swedish market 

Danish loudspekars have reach far beoynd Denmarks borders, very far, in huge quantites and for many decades.

rolfzetterberg
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member

It's not easy to make a complete list since many brands were made in collaboration between Denmark and other countries.

The most vivid example is of course Dynaco A25.A mix of Danish manufacture,American money,Norwegian drivers,Swedish tecnical know-how and so on.Is that a Danish loudspeaker?

And what about Scan-Speak,Scan-Dyna,Scan Sound,Scan Sonic?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Christian Christensen:
Mika, isnt it so that Genelec have become so sucsessful that they employ almost an entire city in FInland

Not quite - there's a big brewery in Iisalmi as well Laughing

What is interesting about them is that they've managed to make a successful product range from the biggest studio monitors to affordable, but still well performing small active speakers. The 6010A is very popular among nerds over here Big Smile What I hate is the design. That is something that B&O should do - a no-compromises tabletop speaker to replace the BL4.

--mika

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Mar 5 2014 8:58 PM

Interesting how many raw driver manufacturers the list includes. I've used most of them in designs over the years, from Peerless, thru Dynaudio, Vifa, and SEAS. Vifa and SEAS have long been favorites of mine, reasonable price, rock solid quality and specs. Dynaudio...well, I love the D28AF tweeter, but for their woofers the specs were all over the place. I am not sure how things are nowadays, I haven't designed or built anything in a longish time, but back in the day a lot of the drivers that showed up available thru the usual outlets for home brew speaker builders were items that had failed inspection testing for speaker system manufacturers as being too far out of spec to use in the designs.

Speaking of Danish and Scandinavian stuff in general, I have a book I recently bought, Scandinavian Design, that lists a couple of pages each for a large number of designers, it's a very thick book. B&O is in there obviously, but in general it's amazing to me how much good design has come out of the Scandinavian countries, and how much of it I not only like but seem to own.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

More to the list.

Avance,

Dantax,.

Lydig., due to information the factoy that made JBL, Inifity and Carwin Vega for the european market.

Prodex .

Found an interesting historical PDF , unfortnually written in danish, but... enjoy those of you that read danish.

http://www.kt.mono.net/upl/11586/EfterslgtsberetningJensThorborg.pdf

Read from internal page 28 and follow interesting historical reading 

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

Danish speakers went west early.

This series Dynaco , american brand, name, but imported these guys from Denmark under their own name.

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/index.html 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS