Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision4-42

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

dhc905
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
dhc905 Posted: Wed, Mar 12 2014 6:19 PM

**Edit 3.31.14**

I took it apart. Kind of crazy 1. How darn heavy it is and 2. That it seems like B&O literally just took a Panasonic TV and attached the handsome aluminum frame around it. See the pictures below:

I'm able to turn it on via the power button, but the bunch of little buttons nearby, which I assume are the channel and volume and input buttons from Panasonic don't seem to do anything. Now I have to figure out what to do with the damn thing (which also weighs 100lbs or so). 

Hi folks, first post here. I own a Beovision4, Beosystem1, which is the subject of this thread, but also proudly own a Beosystem2500 and speakers which have been really good to me.

So here's the problem. My system has been unplugged for 4 months while I moved from Chicago to San Francisco. I went to re-hookup the system and I'm running into the following issue:

System boots up via my Beo4 controller, TV turns on and displays the following image:

An attempt at a clearer picture:

For about 5 seconds. Thereafter, everything disappears and my controller becomes useless until I reboot the whole system. Repeat from step 1. 

I called the SF B&O retailer because I suspected a PIN issue. They confirmed that it's likely a PIN issue and gave me a master PIN. 

The problem is I don't even have the opportunity to enter the pin. In fact, I have no control over anything after the system boots up. I get the image shown above, it disappears and all I can do is turn everything off. 

My research regarding entering the pin shows that I hit something that looks like an "I" twice, enter the code, then hit "menu" on my Beo4. I can't seem to find anything the resembles "I" on my controller. "1" doesn't work. When I hit just "menu", nothing occurs on the TV. What irks me is that no matter what I hit on the controller, the TV remains dark (on, but not displaying anything).

Any ideas? My B&O store has been helpful, but seem stumped at this point...

Much appreciated,

David 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 7:22 PM

Hi David,

The screen you see at this moment is the original panasonic menu. It shouldn't be there.

The problem you have is that the panel doesn't look at the right port. The PC input.

Normally, what should happen when connecting: The System1 communicates with the panel and sends all the settings to the panel.

These settings contain data like contrast, brightness, coloursettings and also the instruction to hide the panasonic menu.

What you could do is: Take the power from both the panel and the system. keep it several minutes without power.

Then re-attach the panel first and then after a few seconds the system. The first initial settings should be send the panel.

Switching the system on/off with the Beo4 should help.

If not, then you can change settings from the panel with the original Panasonic remote. And that will be a problem as you probably don't have one.

At one corner at the bottom (left or right, I don't remember), you can feel a hole in the frame. That's meant to be used with the pana remote.

Another option is to take off the frame (which you definately don't want to, believe me. A lot of screws to release)

But I assume that the RS232 cable works, as the system shuts the panel on/off?

And also the VGA cable is proper connected? 

dhc905
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
dhc905 replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:18 PM

Thanks for the really quick response. I'll try your suggestion of unplugging and replugging in the order that you mentioned. I will futz around with the controller as well. I definitely don't have the original panasonic controller, so I might be SOL if your original solution doesn't work? 

I used what I think was the original RS232 (it has space shuttle printed on the cable wire and weighs about 10lbs), but swapped it out for one my tech guys at the office gave me to make sure that works. Cables are all connected properly - I jerry rigged my IR eye a little because it used to be a 20ft cable that was spliced and reattached. Since I moved from cheap Chicago to expensive SF, my place no longer needs 20foot cables :) 

That said, it works as the TV turns on via the remote by way of the data port in the Beosystem, and if I remember correctly, the PC input on the Beovision (is that potentially the problem?)

Again thanks a lot. It's so great to have a community like this even for folks like me who have only dipped my toe in the B&O pool.

David

P.S. The store told me they'd give me $1,000 towards the purchase of the Beo11. Kind of considering that as an alternative. :)

dhc905
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
dhc905 replied on Fri, Mar 14 2014 4:35 AM

Bummer, tried your solution and didn't work. Do you think it may be a loose connection? 

Also, is it possible to buy another 42" Plasma that has stuff like HDMI connectors and put it into the beovision case? There's a million and one screws on the back, so it's not something I would toy around with unless it's totally possible a d been done before by someone who is just marginally technical :)

dhc905
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
dhc905 replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 3:19 PM

Well, still nothing working. The BO store said they could send out a tech guy @ $300/hr to take a look at it. I might try opening the million screws out back and taking a look inside. 

Has anyone ever tried replacing the plasma inside with another one? Honestly, in my small place having the beosystem is kind of a drag, both space ansnasthetically, but my beovision is awesome. Really want HDMI capability as well. Would it be totally suicidal to try and swap the internals for a more modern getup with HDMI? 

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Tue, Jun 24 2014 11:36 AM

Hi,

I also need to disassemble my Beovision 50" because the power unit seems to be defect. Is it difficult to strip the panel? As I understood from your thread that at the end just a normal Panasonic panel will appear.

Thanks!

dhc905:

**Edit 3.31.14**

I took it apart. Kind of crazy 1. How darn heavy it is and 2. That it seems like B&O literally just took a Panasonic TV and attached the handsome aluminum frame around it. See the pictures below:

I'm able to turn it on via the power button, but the bunch of little buttons nearby, which I assume are the channel and volume and input buttons from Panasonic don't seem to do anything. Now I have to figure out what to do with the damn thing (which also weighs 100lbs or so). 

Hi folks, first post here. I own a Beovision4, Beosystem1, which is the subject of this thread, but also proudly own a Beosystem2500 and speakers which have been really good to me.

So here's the problem. My system has been unplugged for 4 months while I moved from Chicago to San Francisco. I went to re-hookup the system and I'm running into the following issue:

System boots up via my Beo4 controller, TV turns on and displays the following image:

An attempt at a clearer picture:

For about 5 seconds. Thereafter, everything disappears and my controller becomes useless until I reboot the whole system. Repeat from step 1. 

I called the SF B&O retailer because I suspected a PIN issue. They confirmed that it's likely a PIN issue and gave me a master PIN. 

The problem is I don't even have the opportunity to enter the pin. In fact, I have no control over anything after the system boots up. I get the image shown above, it disappears and all I can do is turn everything off. 

My research regarding entering the pin shows that I hit something that looks like an "I" twice, enter the code, then hit "menu" on my Beo4. I can't seem to find anything the resembles "I" on my controller. "1" doesn't work. When I hit just "menu", nothing occurs on the TV. What irks me is that no matter what I hit on the controller, the TV remains dark (on, but not displaying anything).

Any ideas? My B&O store has been helpful, but seem stumped at this point...

Much appreciated,

David 

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Fri, Dec 26 2014 2:52 AM

Hi,

Please can you share your experience how to remove the alu frame?

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Fri, Dec 26 2014 2:52 AM

Hi,

Please can you share your experience how to remove the alu frame?

Dave33
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
Dave33 replied on Thu, Jun 4 2015 6:42 AM
First you unscrew the front vezel after that you unscrew the black screws then you have the black metal frame loose
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS