Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 4000 and Beovox S45 type 6302

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

blackkat
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
blackkat Posted: Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:11 PM

Hello all Smile  A bit of background and a plea for some advice here as well.

After lurking here for some time now, I decided to take the plunge and purchased a rosewood Beomaster 4000.  The one I purchased turned out to be an early 2408 model (Serial# 027043) with the proper schematic in the envelope as well Laughing

I have already inquired to Martin about a recap kit for this receiver, however after looking inside the receiver and having a good listenI think I will leave this one alone as it sounds good to me operating through headphones.  

I have a separate Beomaster 4000 type 2408 on its way that I know will need repairs, so I will be ordering a cap kit for that one.

That's the good news, now for the bad news.  The speaker 1 switch on the Beomaster 4000 will not stay down.  If it is held down, the output works but it will not stay engaged without finger pressure on the switch.  If this Is a common occurrence I hope someone out there can please tell me how I can go about fixing that fault.

The really bad news comes from the speakers I decided to buy to go with the Beomaster 4000.  I purchased a pair of Beovox S45 type 6302, angled resin back speakers, and both have arrived with issues.

I know that some of you out there must be thinking "Surely he told the person shipping them to glue the woofers?!" ...Unfortunately I did not know about the problem that the woofers in these speakers have until after they were already on their way.Crying

The first speaker I took out of the packaging made a *thunk* noise when I lifted it from the box they were shipped in.Super Angry   I unwrapped the first speaker and removed the grille to find that the woofer in this speaker was not frozen!  After removing the woofer and inspecting inside the speaker I found the source of the *thunk* the cross over has broken off of its mounting points on the inside back of the speaker.  The breaks were clean, and I'm hoping that I can just glue the crossover back in place and all will be well with this speaker.  Can anyone please tell me what type of glue would be best in this situation?

The second speaker unfortunately does have a frozen woofer, and after examination does have an undamaged crossover.  At this point should I attempt to realign the woofer and glue it, or to source a replacement woofer for the damaged one?

A big thank you to anyone that has read this far.

--Marc

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Fri, Mar 21 2014 12:12 AM

Welcome to Beoworld Marc.

I would try and realign (fix) the magnet on the affected speaker first. I found it to be relatively easy. the biggest hurdle being patience. Test fitting the shimming before re-affixing the magnet is essential and allowing the epoxy and adhesives their full cure times.

As for the crossover glue & screws, epoxy or some other type of adhesive should all work - up to you.

The 4000 mated with s45's will give excellent results. i know mine do.

I have 2 also.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:06 AM

I like to repair rather than replace whenever possible.
Regarding the frozen woofer you have nothing to lose, really.
I can surely find a good complete crossover board in the dungeons if yours are too far gone.

The Beomaster 4000 switch that won't latch down is not an easy fix, unfortunately.
Having said that, it's merely a matter of replacing a tiny plastic part inside the switch but getting in there
is hours of work and getting back out even worse. It takes me a whole evening and it's not something I enjoy doing.
Not a task for the faint hearted, for sure.
I would consider simply bridging the switch and live with it that way. You could always turn down the volume, pull out or swap
speaker sets to suit a given situation.

Martin

blackkat
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
blackkat replied on Fri, Mar 21 2014 3:29 PM

Ricardo,

Thank you for the advice, and the link.  I will try to fix the broken driver this weekend, hopefully I can hear these speakers soon!

blackkat
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
blackkat replied on Fri, Mar 21 2014 3:35 PM

Martin,

The crossover board itself looks good, its just that it has cracked the mounting posts off of the inside of the resin panel so the crossover and the posts float around as one unit inside the speaker.

If I do decide to replace the plastic part inside the switch someday, is it available to order or is it better to make it out of a piece of compatible plastic ?

Marc

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Mar 21 2014 5:34 PM

blackkat:

The crossover board itself looks good, its just that it has cracked the mounting posts off of the inside of the resin panel so the crossover and the posts float around as one unit inside the speaker.

That sounds like an easy fix.  Aren't the crossover and posts connected by screws?  Just remove the screws, use a thick acrylonitrile hobby glue (or Superglue in a gel form) to reattach the posts to the back of the speaker, let the glue set overnight, then reattach the crossover to the posts with the screws.

I also echo everyone else:  give a go at fixing the woofer.  You really have nothing to lose.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:01 PM

I have some excellent condition used switch parts in the dungeons so parts supply is no problem.
It's a fairly complicated piece and not something you would easily reproduce yourself, anyways.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS