Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Sony says BluRay is ...

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant Posted: Tue, May 6 2014 6:19 AM
Many of us have been predicting this ...

http://m.slashdot.org/story/201643

BeoNut since '75

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, May 6 2014 7:35 AM

I have raclette more often than watch blu ray. I even have my blu ray player in storage. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 8:33 AM

elephant:
Many of us have been predicting this ...

http://m.slashdot.org/story/201643

Although I do buy the occasional Blu-ray (then rip/backup the contents to my NAS drive), I rarely buy one full price. I rarely watch any movie more than once, so I'm reluctant to pay £15+ for the privilege. I just wait a few months for the movie to end up in a "two for £15" deal. Most modern movies don't impress me these days. Everyone was raving about American Hustle, saw it on the plane and didn't watch the last 10 minute. Same with Saving Mr Banks. Wolf of Wall Street, decent film, bit too long, won't watch it again, etc etc. I have too many better things to do :)

The major downside of relying on movie streaming is that we have to satisfy ourselves with basic Dolby Digital audio (there's a reason why a Blu-ray contains 35GB of data, compared to Apple TV's 4GB), which is ironic considering half the reason we buy a B&O is due to the improved audio experience over rival TVs. No need to spend £5K on speakers if you only watch streamed movies.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, May 6 2014 9:12 AM
I totally agree with moxxey. I won't miss the Bluray player in my BV 7, far better experience than watching movies with Apple TV, especially soundwise.

Greets

Räuber
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

This is the well known fight: convenience against quality.

I am definitely for the quality. And - besides - it is not a big job to pop in the disc to the BRP, and I really can wait a couple of days untill the discs gets delivered.

i guess those who ditched the Bluray either don't care about SQ or have forgotten how a HD-soundtrack from a Bluray-disc sounds.

I  am buying the movies, when they get cheaper. Don't need to have them at day one.

Actually I mostly buy concert- and Bluray Audio dscs - content that you can't get on any streaming service anyway.

Apart from the question streaming vs physical disc - the reason why the Bluray's may loose the game, is that most people seem to prefer buying DVD's. And in most cases it really does not matter at all, if they play the movies from a DVD or from a Bluray. They are not seeing or (especially) hearing any difference anyway.

The Bluray should have been pushed as the successor of the DVD instead of as the higher priced premium version of the DVD. It is the higher price that will kill the Bluray standart! But most likely it won't happen as quick as the headlines of many of the current articles to this theme indicates.

And - do concider - a lot of us haven't got the bandwith needed to play content in a quality that comes close to that of a Bluray disc. The problem is: do we care, or are we pleased with less?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 10:14 AM

Millemissen:

i guess those who ditched the Bluray either don't care about SQ or have forgotten how a HD-soundtrack from a Bluray-disc sounds.

Don't care? 99% of them haven't got a TV which distinguishes the difference between HD audio and streamed audio! It's less about caring, it's more about lack of education.

You watch a top Blu-ray on a BV7-55 with a 7.4 and a pair of BL9s and prepare to be blown away. Watch the same Blu-ray on your off-the-shelf Samsung and the audio will be the same as the audio from your Apple TV. That's the reason people aren't buying Blu-rays. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You may call it 'lack of education' - saying 'don't care', was my way of putting it.

Many people actually have no sense for these things, and don't care - it does not nessesarily mean that it is a 'lack of education'.

Not everybody cares for the things I (or you) care for - and that is ok!

The fact that  I 'don't care' about watches and cars, does not indicate that I have a 'lack of education' - as an example.

But as a consequence - in case of DVD/Bluray - it seems to mean that the Bluray's will loose the 'fight' --- unfortunately.

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Nooooooo

I don't want to believe it.  I love BR.  Whenever I see people buy movies, I only see them walk out of stores with BR.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

So, there is still a hope!

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

You know it! :-) 

Pandora's Box mate

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

I buy Blurays just so i get to operate my 7-55 DVD mechanismYes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, May 6 2014 10:53 AM
Nowadays most people wonna stream anything, and many of them are watching movies on their tablet because they have no speakers at all. I would assume only 1 percent of customers have high quality speakers to hear a difference between Dolby Digital and HD audio.

Räuber
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 11:17 AM

Chris Townsend:

I buy Blurays just so i get to operate my 7-55 DVD mechanismYes - thumbs up

I never bothered, even when I had a BV7-40 with Blu-ray drive! I can't be bothered to watch the silly anti-piracy adverts, commercials and previews before the movie. Another reason why some people might be put off by physical discs. At least with streamed movies, you go straight to the movie.

When you backup/rip the Blu-ray, you can remove all these components, leaving just the movie! Much much much easier just to select 'Home Media' on the BV11, find the movie and play from your NAS.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 11:21 AM

Millemissen:

The fact that  I 'don't care' about watches and cars, does not indicate that I have a 'lack of education' - as an example.

You're making them mutually exclusive. They aren't. People "don't care" as they don't know. They aren't educated. They don't know the audio experience on a Blu-ray can generate the results we know they generate, via a BV7/7.4/BL9s.

So it is a lack of education. They get an expensive Blu-ray disc, have to find a player, then sit there and watch all the pre-movie rubbish, then see exactly the same image and audio they get with their Apple TV equivalent. Only us B&O owners know a Blu-ray delivers a much richer audio experience, simply as we have the speakers to make use of it!

Even with a TV sound bar, the standard Dolby stream you get with a downloadable movie, sounds good enough for 99% of users.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, May 6 2014 11:26 AM
I think 'education' is the wrong term, I would prefer 'knowledge'.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sure it is more 'knowledge' - but it is also about priority.

I would not say, that my wife has a 'lack of education' - not even a 'lack of knowledge', when she does not care whether it's the plain DD sound track or the HD, that is played back.

She simply has other priorities as I have!

P.S.. But I love her anyway  💏

MM

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, May 6 2014 12:27 PM
Millemissen:

Sure it is more 'knowledge' - but it is also about priority.

I would not say, that my wife has a 'lack of education' - not even a 'lack of knowledge', when she does not care whether it's the plain DD sound track or the HD, that is played back.

She simply has other priorities as I have!

P.S.. But I love her anyway 💏

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Hi MM,

our wifes must be very similar. And if I don't notice new flowers in our living room, she is not amused.

Räuber
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, May 6 2014 12:55 PM

moxxey:
The major downside of relying on movie streaming is that we have to satisfy ourselves with basic Dolby Digital audio (there's a reason why a Blu-ray contains 35GB of data, compared to Apple TV's 4GB), which is ironic considering half the reason we buy a B&O is due to the improved audio experience over rival TVs. No need to spend £5K on speakers if you only watch streamed movies.

Where do you get 4GB from? When I stream Netflix Super HD it goes up to about 7GB per hour. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 2:05 PM

Michael:

Where do you get 4GB from? When I stream Netflix Super HD it goes up to about 7GB per hour. 

Apple iTunes HD movies are around 4GB or so. Super HD is probably less compressed, much like the new Netflix "4K" stream on Apple TV. It isn't 4K, it's less-compressed 1080p, which allows a better quality upscaled picture on a 4K panel.

See: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/movie/american-hustle/id810521938

Bottom right, size "4.56 GB (1080p HD)"

The same movie on a Blu-ray disc is over 30GB, mostly thanks to the uncompressed audio stream. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, May 6 2014 2:54 PM

moxxey:

Michael:

Apple iTunes HD movies are around 4GB or so. Super HD is probably less compressed, much like the new Netflix "4K" stream on Apple TV. It isn't 4K, it's less-compressed 1080p, which allows a better quality upscaled picture on a 4K panel.

See: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/movie/american-hustle/id810521938

Bottom right, size "4.56 GB (1080p HD)"

The same movie on a Blu-ray disc is over 30GB, mostly thanks to the uncompressed audio stream. 

Okey yes I guess iTunes Movies are around that size. NetFlix Super HD is probably much less compressed as long as you have a good network connection. Actually their 4K service is 4K, not 1080p. They use the HEVC codec (which I hope is supported on the new Beovision) so we can stream true 4K content directly (since there is no Apple TV with HDMI 2 yet).

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 3:10 PM

Nothing to see here. Move on.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 3:11 PM

Michael:

Actually their 4K service is 4K, not 1080p.

Not on the Apple TV it isn't. It's less-compressed 1080p. Apple TV can't handle 4K.

Netflix is 4K outside of the Apple TV framework though, yes.

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Tue, May 6 2014 3:45 PM

Only problem is the massive amount of sd tv video that's amassed over the years will only look even naffer on a super duper 4k tv.

i really don't see the point of 4k unless you want your front room looking like a cinema.

even then you need a massive screen and sit a few feet away to discern any difference between 4k and 1080p

hype hype hype

Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
Posts 34
Bronze Member

I've just ditched an entire AV system (including BluRay player) and all my CDs, DVDs and BluRay disk in favour of streaming everything. For Movies, I'm mainly interested in world movies, arts house movies and for that I could not recommend anything more highly than MUBI. As for music, that's now coming to me from Spotify where I can access anything I want, but most especially all the old Jazz stuff bequeathed to me by my father in-law on vinyl and a myriad of other non main stream goodies.

So I replace everything with a pair of BeoLab 6000s and a Crystal Acoustics BluDAC. I have more music, more movies and about 10% of my living space back!

I have just posted a review on using the 6000's/BluDAC system here 

BeoLab 8000 Mk2, CrystalAccoustic BluDAC, Mac Book Pro Retina

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 6 2014 5:01 PM

moxxey:

I never bothered, even when I had a BV7-40 with Blu-ray drive! I can't be bothered to watch the silly anti-piracy adverts, commercials and previews before the movie. Another reason why some people might be put off by physical discs. At least with streamed movies, you go straight to the movie.

When you backup/rip the Blu-ray, you can remove all these components, leaving just the movie! Much much much easier just to select 'Home Media' on the BV11, find the movie and play from your NAS.

Well, that's the one thing I really and truly hate about DVDs and BluRays, the annoying stuff in the beginning that they prevent you from jumping past. Most discs have the main menu disabled until all of this crap gets done playing. Like I need to see the idiotic "piracy is illegal" disclaimer, or previews from half a dozen moronic films before I get to the film I want to see.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, May 6 2014 6:16 PM

In other news, the vinyl record is dead.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Long dead - but the coffin is still open.

MM

Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
Posts 34
Bronze Member

I should cocoa! I may have scrapped all my physical media in favour of steaming services but my son has a huge collection of vinyl (started when his grandfathers bequeathed him his jazz collection). My son despite doing a Phd in computing will also resist giving up his quill and ink to the bitter end ;-)

BeoLab 8000 Mk2, CrystalAccoustic BluDAC, Mac Book Pro Retina

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, May 6 2014 7:04 PM

moxxey:

Michael:

Actually their 4K service is 4K, not 1080p.

Not on the Apple TV it isn't. It's less-compressed 1080p. Apple TV can't handle 4K.

Netflix is 4K outside of the Apple TV framework though, yes.

I said that :D. The Apple TV however, won't even try to play the UHD stream since it don't support HEVC nor 4K. It will just be the Super HD feed. 

"Okey yes I guess iTunes Movies are around that size. NetFlix Super HD is probably much less compressed as long as you have a good network connection. Actually their 4K service is 4K, not 1080p. They use the HEVC codec (which I hope is supported on the new Beovision) so we can stream true 4K content directly (since there is no Apple TV with HDMI 2 yet)."

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, May 6 2014 9:46 PM

Michael:

I said that :D. The Apple TV however, won't even try to play the UHD stream since it don't support HEVC nor 4K. 

I know. I said that first (Apple TV doesn't support 4K) above your post and also in the discussion about "3 new products", that the Apple TV doesn't support 4K, nor has HDMI 2.0 (this will come with Apple TV v4). No need to embolden to reinforce. We've had that discussion two days ago :)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

moxxey:

Hey Moxxey,

How do you rip your BR discs even if you don't have that many of them?  Just curious to see how you do it.

Cheers

Michael 

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS