Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Disappointed With Music On B&O System

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

jackrussell
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jackrussell Posted: Tue, May 1 2012 9:53 PM

Hi

I have an Avant 32 inch tv with a pair of 8000 and a pair or 6000 speakers with a beolab 2. I've owned them for about 8 years and have always been very dissapointed with the performance with cd music played from the TV. I've tried all sorts of dif. settings but the bottom line is the mid range and also detail at low to medium volumes is really poor. Have tried all combinations of speakers but even through the 8000's and subwoofer the sound is incomparable to a seperates system for half or even less, the price of this set up.

Anyone got any ideas how i can improve it or should I forget music and just use the system for movies?

Thanks

JR

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Which CD player? How is it connected?

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

beoinbuff
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member

Your equipment is fine. The 8000s are great speakers. 

In my experience, when good equipment does not sound good, it's usually the acoustics of the room at play. I have a system with BL5 and BL 3 as rears. In my new house I absolutely hated the sound, way too bright. It was only after using my receivers room correction system that fixed the problem. Now I can't get enough  music from that system. I would look at altering the room's acoustics with either physical changes or equalization first. 

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, May 2 2012 4:12 AM

Agreed - the room and its size can be the biggest factor in audio reproduction.

I would also advise ditching the BL2 (at least for music). This sub can sound a bit sloppy and is really only recommended for movie/HT/LFE setups. Speaking of stereo vs. surround - make sure you are listening to music program material in stereo only and surround material in its respective multi-channel playback.

Also, how are the speakers placed in relation to the listening position/sweet spot? Try creating the most equilateral triangle possible with your front left and right speakers and your listening position. This will reduce time-delay artifacts that degrade the stereo experience and will definitely improve your listening experience if not already optimized.

Beo4 'til I die!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, May 2 2012 8:41 AM

Agree with Evan - start with just the 8000's, forget the BL2 and the 6000's (also make sure the option settings are for "fronts only" to ensure the 8000's receive the full bandwidth audio signal). Try and get a reasonable sound on the 8000's in stereo and then you can assess the contribution of the other speakers and whether they add or detract from the basic stereo setup. Personally I don't believe in listening to stereo music using four speaker setups, stereo was never recorded for that and it can cause several problems while giving no positive benefit.

Ban boring signatures!

jackrussell
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Thanks guys. The CD player is the one built in to the TV. When I first addressed this issue years ago, I asked whether a standalone CD player might give better ound and was laughed out of this forum. I have tried all the things suggested except rebuilding my room!. I'm moving soon so will see if I can get it to work better in my new place.

Thanks again

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
I am not sure the Tv switches to SPEAKER 2 or 4 automatically.

Do you do that after you've started playing the CD with the DVD player?

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

jackrussell
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Yes I've tried it every which way in terms of speaker combinations. Not surprisingly using just the two 8000's sounds best (with a hint of subwoofer). But it's still nowhere near what i'd expect. I've also tried altering speaker positions, distances both physically and using the settings on the TV menu. Would it be worth considering tring to connect a CD player to the 8000's? If so what type would anyone recommend. Don't really want to go the B&O route as I now have no confidence in the brand now.

Thank JR

PhilLondon:
I am not sure the Tv switches to SPEAKER 2 or 4 automatically.

Do you do that after you've started playing the CD with the DVD player?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS