Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Streaming to an old Beo TV

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin Posted: Sat, Aug 9 2014 5:51 PM

The wife and I have one of the classic MX6000 units in the bedroom along with a DVD1 and VCR player.  Anyway, I wanted to be able to stream shows to it and I'm a bit out the loop these days, given that everything I have B&O is older classic units.  Although she has a new Macbook and I run everything in the living room through a mac mini which has a 2Tb external hard drive full of stuff

1) I understand that B&O now recommend Apple TV which sincs with the new remotes and TVs.  Is this a viable option and can I get it to run through the older TV and Beo4 remote? The MX doesn't have HDMI but that's not really an issue if we just want to watch some downloaded TV in the bedroom.  I'm guessing it just means it's a one way communication through a scart/coax/RCA adaptor?  Or can I just buy a newer remote and it'll work with the apple stuff as well?

2) Alternatively, what was the deal with the digital stuff B&O tried, I'm guessing they gave up on it if they're now recommending AppleTV?  Would I be better off getting second hand stuff on eBay?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

1: You will need a HDMI to Scart converter for that. (And a free Scart port for it).

Beo4 controlling of the ATV will be a problem - but i guess you will be AirPlaying mostly anyway (?)

2: I don't understand that question!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Aug 9 2014 11:24 PM

Hi Calvin,

The Apple TV is a wonderful piece of equipment - most of the BeoWorlders love it here and being honest, it's the only little box that I use now. 

There's no need to get rid of your classic B&O. As Millemissen pointed out, you'll need a HDMI to Scart converter. They do seem to be getting expensive now but here's a really high quality one. I hope that helps!

http://www.js-technology.com/store/product.php?id_product=42

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 8:16 AM

Alternatively try a 'WD TV Live' like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-WDBPUF0000NBK-EESN-Media-Player/dp/B00KHL6CFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407654527&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+tv+live

It already has 'composite output' (as well as hdmi) so you could connect straight to SCART with no need for one of those pricey converters!  WD TV Live comes with BBC iPlayer and Netflix pre installed, and will cope with many different file formats when playing movies.  I use one with all my older B&O TVs.

However, if you already have Apple devices (iPhone or Pad) you will probably want to stick with Apple TV for convenience and ease of set up.

EDIT:  I have just learnt that for some reason the WD TV Gen 3 version does not have Netflix installed.

RobN
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
RobN replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 2:00 PM

Hi Calvin,

Yes, you can absolutely do this. I use Apple Tv's in a number of rooms in the house including the kitchen where we have an older B&O MX TV. All you need is an adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-Converter-Adapter-Support-1080p-Black/dp/B00IWJL0FK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407761841&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+to+scart not too expensive.

I don't think you'll have much success with the BEO4, much better to use the free Apple app called Remote on your iPad, iPhone or iTouch.

Best, Rob

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 10:25 PM

Thanks all!

As the iPhone next to the bed charging can be used as a remote, that's good enough for me.  Now to find a free afternoon to go out, buy it and set it up in amongst all the hot weather and BBQ and sun and, oh wait, I live in Britain, I'll have it ready by tomorrow night.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 11:58 PM

Best of luck with it Calvin. I'm sure that you'll find the Apple TV box a great little device. Amazing packaging - even the lead is curled so that the cord doesn't have kinks in it!!!

Don't forget to buy an HDMI lead and a scart lead plus the HDMI to Scart box :)

Have fun!

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 1:07 PM

Just got back from Selfriges with the Apple TV, the chap there recommended I poop into Maplin for a HDMI adaptor but they didn't have any there.  Maplin seems to have gone downhill a lot in the last few years.

Anyway, I also only just realised when I got home that the MX6000 only has 2 scart inputs and they're being used right now by the V8000 and DVD1.  If I just get an HDMI to RCA adaptor and plug it into the back of the VHS player will it pick up the signal when I press the "TV" button on the Beo4?  Or do I get an RF adaptor and plug it straight into the TVs ariel plug?  Obviously I'd guess I have to tune it in either way.

And is there a recommended source for adaptors? I spent quarter of an hour looking for an RF adaptor online and couldn't spot anything.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 1:25 PM

Calvin:

If I just get an HDMI to RCA adaptor and plug it into the back of the VHS player will it pick up the signal when I press the "TV" button on the Beo4?  

To select the V8000 RCA inputs you will have to go into the VIDEO menu and select CAMCORDER.  I would think that this is a slightly better quality solution than using the TV's RF input.

EDIT:  And this seems to have good reviews for what you propose: http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Digital-Composite-Converter-DVR-Blak/dp/B00HLDGVZC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top 

I can't see any reasonably priced hdmi to rf converters - most seem to be designed for more comprehensive video distribution systems.

Guy

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 1:48 PM

Hmm, I'd go for convenience over everything - ie you press TV on the remote to access it.

I'd have thought then that I'd have to go for an RF adaptor and plug it into the tv.  Or can you run a signal via Scart into the back of the VHS?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 2:09 PM

You could possibly use the second SCART socket on the V8000 and then tune a TV channel as requiring a DECODER.  This should force the TV to select this SCART when you press TV on the remote.  Some people use this method to make use of the TV button on their remote.

If I get a chance when I get home I will try with my BV6 and V8000 and see if it works, unless someone else confirms first!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 4:35 PM

That worked with my BV6 and V8000.  I had to go into the service menu of the V8000 (press 0 0 GO when in SETUP) and set the SYSTEM DECODER to ON, whereupon it became visible in the V8000's tuning menu.  I then created a tuned station (the only tuned station) with the DECODER set to ON.

I then went to the connections menu on my BV6, and changed V.MEM to V.MEM + DECODER.

Now when I press TV on my remote, whatever is connected to the V8000's extra SCART is displayed on the screen.

It may be slightly different with an MX6000 but the same principle applies.

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 5:45 PM

This is utterly fantastic, thankyou very much!

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Wed, Sep 3 2014 7:34 PM

Hmmm.  I only just got round to doing this - I was waiting on my new 4TB drive to transfer all my stuff onto. Just £110 on Amazon!

Anyway, I've set the Decoder to ON in the V8000 menu but when I go to the MX6000 the Decoder option isn't appearing when I try to tune the channel.  It says you have to set the "+ DEC" option on in the Sockets menu but that's not an option - it automatically recognises if it's a V8000: "V.Tape-1 B&O... will be selected automatically if your video tape recorder is a Bang & Olufsen BeoCord VX 7000 or V 8000 video tape recorder."

I'm guessing that means the tv should automatically be able to see that the V8000 has the decoder on? But it isn't!

I'm not sure if it's something to do with the decoder option now being turned on but I tried to go to the tuning menu in the V8000 I couldn't actually select the TUNING option in the setup menu - it skips over it.

Is there some kind of other tuning option I need to change on the TV to recognise it? I'm vaguely wondering if I need to switch something in a service menu on the TV as well?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Sep 4 2014 4:29 PM

Hi again,

It sounds like there may be something different in the MX6000 SW, I only checked with a BV6 remember.

Just to clarify, when I created a tuned station (with DECODER) I did so on the BV6.  I think the tuning option may be unavailable on the V8000 because it is sharing the tuned stations from the BV, but I am not at all sure about this.  Perhaps someone else with MX6000 experience can help?

mickychopra
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

Hi Paul

Just found this forum, hope you don't mind helping me out.

I have on old Beovision 5 and have got through a couple of Hdmi to scart converters over the last 3/4 years.  They just seem to stop working after a while, I get around 6/12 months life out of them, the red light which is usually permanently on starts flashing.  I do have it permanently plugged in , ,should I only turn the power on when in use?

Any suggestions ?

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Sun, Oct 18 2015 10:17 AM

I got a scart adaptor but the sound kept cutting out each time so I'd need to bend down and restart the converter andor AppleTv

In the end I likewise got fed up and upgraded to a more modern system, we're also moving abroad next year though and I was keen to get something that would work with a foreign voltage system so it wasn't JUST the scart issues that made me buy a new B&O tv, at least that's what I tell the wife!

I spoke to a friend and he reckoned the problem is that most scart converters are cheap units on ebay or the like for 14.99 so it's not surprising they break, they're just not very well made. If you spend a decent amount then maybe they work better but then why risk the money when you could just upgrade to a second hand more modern unit for a bit more.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS