Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Comparing Beolab 5000 and Beolab 8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir Posted: Tue, Oct 21 2014 3:07 PM
I now use my Beolab 5000-system with two pairs of Beovox 2500 cube and a Beovox 1200 as center (fused with a 10 Ohm resistor in the absence of Stereo Control Unit). For comparison, I have for several days been playing the same music in my Beolab 8000 with two Beovox MS150 and really love the two systems. The two speaker pairs are standing at the same distance between each other. On top of floor speakers stand a couple Beovox 2500 cube and approximately 125 cm above these are now the second pair. The Stereo image is fantastically detailed and lively. Currently I play Elvis Costello that may not always be the best test score, but I know the songs and can compare them, not only in the different speaker sets, but also from my own sense.

Amazing things, I am very pleased with both systems but perhaps most impressed at how a small company on the outskirts of Europe could perform so high class equipment for over 50 years ago!
/***
Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, Oct 21 2014 3:33 PM

Easily two of the best performing systems, I love listening to the Beolab 5000, especially with the original speaker combinations. 

I still yearn to find a Beolab 8000 system one day. Interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison between the two. 

Both are pretty incredible achievements like you said.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 21 2014 4:21 PM

So you finally managed to install the second pair of cubes then! Good! 

I don't have a full Beolab 8000, using M70s instead of MS150. But the combination is pretty damn good. Perhaps treble is livelier with the M70s. The Cubes on the other hand produce a very finely etched and atmospheric treble.

I've heard of people using Cubes with modern speakers to great effect!

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Tue, Oct 21 2014 5:14 PM

chartz:

So you finally managed to install the second pair of cubes then! Good! 

I don't have a full Beolab 8000, using M70s instead of MS150. But the combination is pretty damn good. Perhaps treble is livelier with the M70s. The Cubes on the other hand produce a very finely etched and atmospheric treble.

I've heard of people using Cubes with modern speakers to great effect!

Yes, at last I have got my hands out of my pockets and got things working and it was certainly a pleasent experience. Those cubes did more difference than I thought they should. I Think I will keep them were they are now. Maybe I will make a test and install them togeather with the MS150, but that will have to wait.

/***

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS