Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Can I swear in the Church?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir Posted: Fri, Oct 24 2014 9:09 AM

If I can, how is it that so many of B&O's vintage equipment have theire connections placed on the bottom? I understand that the arrangement saves space in depth, but it's an adventure every time a cable should be connected or removed.

On the other hand, there are also examples over the years where accessibility has been a priority and is outstanding: on the Beocenter 7XXX and Beomaster 8000, it is a piece if cake to work with the connections. But in Beolab 6000 and 5000 Beomaster 4ch, the designers really has bitten in their thumbs. Are there more reasons than space saving behind these constructions?

/***

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 9:36 AM

The older Beolab 5000 is also a pain as it's so hopeless to get to.  Partly down to aesthetics I suppose - out of site, out of mind.  Once the cables are in you don't need to access them that often as systems usually remain fairly static.

I agree with you though.  I've sufferred hairloss due to this issue on vintage stuff.

Dave.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 10:20 AM

you've just made my Friday Smile..... great post 

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 1:04 PM

Yes Dikk, you can swear in this church. Devil

Jacques

benkap
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 41
Bronze Member
benkap replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 6:50 PM

I'm thinking the connections are placed as they are to let the generated heat be diverted freely and not have cables on top of the heat sink.

The Beomaster 8000 is designed in a way that allows easier access with the heat sink all the way on the back. Then again, it is also a lot heavier than any other Beomaster. A Beomaster 4400 is quite easily tipped to connect any cables whereas the 8000 would cause problems for some people with its 23 kilograms.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I always thought it was because that once they are installed on your wall etc, that they would look neater. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS