Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram/Vinyl Speed accuracy

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Atlanta
Posts 98
Founder
Michael Posted: Sat, Nov 22 2014 2:11 PM

As my only vinyl experience is with my Beogram 6500 I'm not sure if this is a general Vinyl issue or not.

Just noticed that the pitch on my new Thievery Corporation (Saudade) LP is slightly lower than the digital files.  It doesn't sound bad, just a slight bit lower/Slower.  I"m guessing that this may just be the nature of Vinyl but I want to ask here in case this is an indication of needed adjustment or otherwise a bad sign.  

The deck is in excellent condition otherwise and was restored by Mr. Amina so other than adjustments I would assume it to be (hopefully) in good mechanical/electrical condition.

I did find a lot more "junk" requiring to be cleaned out of the grooves than usual (as I clean all my new records) and my MMC2 tip fresh from Axel seems to still be able to dredge more stuff out even afterwards.

It seems far fetched to my mind but could this actually be causing drag?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sat, Nov 22 2014 4:11 PM

You need to check the actual speed of your turntable.  Use a stroboscopic disc and a stroboscopic lamp (an incandescant lamp will have inaccuracy of up to 2%).  You can adjust the speed using the 2 resistors accessible under the Beogram.  Refer to the service manual.

A new tip can clean a lot of rubbish out of a seemingly clean vinyl.  A properly balanced and adjusted tonearm and cartridge shouldn't affect the speed of the TT.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Nov 22 2014 4:37 PM

Hi,

Some reissues have a different pitch from that of the original pressings.

A case in point is the 2009 Beatles remastered CDs the speed of which is audibly slower than that of my original records - the ones I grew with! A bit traumatic, this, even though they do claim that first generation LPs were done using badly set tape recorders.

On the other hand, the Beograms that use a DC motor can indeed be adjusted (both speeds) with a strobe disc, as Dave (hi!) says. Be warned however, these won't work with a fluorescent bulb, or with the light produced by the Beogram's own bulb for that matter! You need 50 cycle AC light or 60 Hz in the US.

Jacques

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 12:13 PM
I used the 1kHz track of a test disk and an iPhone app to adjust my BG5000.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS