Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Burn-in - Real or Imagined?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich Posted: Mon, Feb 13 2012 6:53 PM

As many of you know, I do quite a lot of listening to LPs on this system:

BG4002, professionally serviced last summer (new caps, new motor, new trim pots, new belt), with Soundsmith SMCC20EN purchased new last summer (recently increased price by $70, by the way)

BM4000, professionally serviced last summer (new caps, new trim pots, new transistors)

Beovox M70, refurbished by me last spring (new caps, new resistors, new wiring, some additional mods)

I swear this system sounds better and better as the days go by.  So I ask:  is this improvement real, or am I just getting used to the sound of my system?

Does burn-in improve the sound of your stereo?  Or do we just start believing the distortion and quirks of our own systems are "how it's supposed to sound" once we're used to it?

Over at diyaudio.com, it's fairly common to read in discussions that, to use one example, a certain Fostex driver won't reach it's full potential until several hundred hours of play.  I was wondering if any Beoworlders had any opinions on this subject.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:00 PM

I think you are getting used to the sound of your system. I do not really believe in burn in time though I did feel my Beolab 3s got better with play time. Again, I think this was due to me getting used to their sound.

Hi-Fi magazines are very keen on burn in - but double blind trials do not show an ability to tell new and items subjected to burn in apart. See here! And here!!

Peter

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:57 PM

I've seen the ten myths article before, many times actually.

I'm a fan of Hawthorne Stereo's advice, especially with regard to system setup, a bit less so with regard to system hierarchy.

My favorite note on system setup from Hawthorne is:  "Drape wires loosely and avoid sharp bends and tight bundles."  I wish I had a nickel for every time I read on Beoworld:  "Great system, but do something about those cables!"  I don't mind the web of cables our hobby requires.  Indeed, some times there is a certain beauty associated with them, IMHO.

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:28 PM

I don't believe that there is such a thing as burn in. I have owned some Penta II's for a couple months now and they too are sounding better to me than when I first got them! If they really had improved, then they should blow all other speakers out of the water lol!

There is another thing I want to add - B&O is not all about burn in, audiophile grade components and oxygen free cable, it is about enjoying music to the maximum without the worry of all that! It provides an unrivalled interface with a natural sound and beautiful styling - what more could you want :)

Olly

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:59 PM

I definitely believe in burn-in/break in!

The most noticeable burn in I ever noticed was Todd's refurbed RL60.2s. Immediately after recapping them, we both had a listen. Even though they did instantly improve with the new caps they didn't sound as great as they should almost as if they were a little tense. During those few weeks of listening that followed I found myself more and more blown away. It seems the speakers relaxed and became much much more smooth. Mind you, all of this was before the driver change!

Its hard to describe, but they were definitely better with use!

I will also admit, I have also experienced getting used to speakers and equipment before.

Beo4 'til I die!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:12 PM

Another aspect to consider will be the cartridge, which will sound a bit more polished after a few hours' use. No black magic here, just mechanics!

Woofers will also, for mechanical reasons, get a bit more supple and this will affect bass quality, which will be less dry than when new from factory, or just re-foam'd.

Well, one man's opinion eh! 

Jacques

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

I think there might be some truth to woofers, but don't think the solid? capacitors etc will really change or "know" they have been used. 

Much to do with human psychology though! Cool

Too long to list.... 

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:16 PM

bayerische:

I think there might be some truth to woofers, but don't think the solid? capacitors etc will really change or "know" they have been used. 

Amen to that!

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

beocool:

bayerische:

Amen to that!

How's the Minttu?! Cool

Too long to list.... 

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:25 PM

bayerische:

beocool:

bayerische:

Amen to that!

How's the Minttu?! Cool

Yesterday's minttukaakao was great. Haven't had one today.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:22 PM

I think there is something to burn in - at least for newly refoamed woofers. I noticed the bass on my CX-50s was very weak until I had a few dozen hours on them. Then the bass became much more pronounced over a very short period of time. However, my refoamed CX-75s sounded good right from the start, so it's probably not an absolute.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS