Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Jan 12 2015 11:19 PM
@jonnyb thanks for the Siri tip !

BeoNut since '75

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 6:05 AM
These will be one of my next B&O purchases as soon as they're available in black, or the "golden" aluminum is available in natural aluminum. I'm not a rapper, nor do I live in Dubai, and gold is too blingy.

The current colors do not match any B&O products I have... Maybe if I had the Havanna V1, I might feel different about the brown (joking, brown is really not my color, at all).

I think it's great that B&O "designs with color", but why for the love of.. black! do they need to forgo the basic options, such as black or gray.

In my opinion, B&O shoots their sales in the foot with these "designer colors" that appeal to a much smaller group of people than (safe & maybe boring) black, for example. Do they want their sales to lack? Have they given their designers the right to ditch common sense?

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I agree! They are too flashy.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 11:35 AM

KMA:
In my opinion, B&O shoots their sales in the foot with these "designer colors" that appeal to a much smaller group of people than (safe & maybe boring) black, for example. Do they want their sales to lack? Have they given their designers the right to ditch common sense?

First of all it is B&O Play and not "B&O". I actually like the dark edition with brown. I have a brown leather cover for my dark iPhone 6 so it will work good together. And brown is a nice color to add to your person too. I have the black H6´s and they are very black. Since they are very big, the blackness makes them look even bigger.

The brighter one with gold is obviously targeted for people who has the golden iPhone, which is white on the front = ergo = bright. So it will match very nice. Perhaps not to you, but perhaps to other people? I dont want to stereotype here but people are not all the same.

I think it is fun that they try colors and makes bold choices. Remember, B&O has always been bold in their design.  

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 2:36 PM
Michael:

First of all it is B&O Play and not "B&O". I actually like the dark edition with brown. I have a brown leather cover for my dark iPhone 6 so it will work good together. And brown is a nice color to add to your person too.

I think herein lies the problem: there are no "Bang & Olufsen" headphones anymore, they are all in the B&O Play range. And not offering the wireless H8 in a classic black leaves a hole in the range, in my opinion. Black is timeless and suits any existing B&O gear, whereas there's nothing brown in the Bang & Olufsen product range. And my Space Gray iPhone 6 is naked Big Smile so nothing brown or golden there either.

As I really don't like the "designer colors" of these new wireless Play headphones, I'll be getting black bluetooth headphones from another brand for the time being, hoping I can switch to black H8 some time in the future. Pity, as I was really looking forward to bluetooth headphones from B&O

Edit: to clarify, I'll be using the headphones mainly with BV11 with a bluetooth transmitter dongle.

KMA

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 8:04 PM
KMA:

I think herein lies the problem: there are no "Bang & Olufsen" headphones anymore, they are all in the B&O Play range. And not offering the wireless H8 in a classic black leaves a hole in the range, in my opinion. Black is timeless and suits any existing B&O gear, whereas there's nothing brown in the Bang & Olufsen product range. And my Space Gray iPhone 6 is naked so nothing brown or golden there either.

As I really don't like the "designer colors" of these new wireless Play headphones, I'll be getting black bluetooth headphones from another brand for the time being, hoping I can switch to black H8 some time in the future. Pity, as I was really looking forward to bluetooth headphones from B&O

Edit: to clarify, I'll be using the headphones mainly with BV11 with a bluetooth transmitter dongle. KMA

Current setup : BeoVision 11-46 with Apple TV, Sony BDP-S790, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 , BeoPlay A8, Beo5, BeoRemote One . B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Things change. And I have a black Bluetooth headset from B&O by the way :-). the H6 is still available in black. The H3 which I love is also available in black/silver (which I have). And form 2i is available in black. And so on. They release the H8 with these two color schemes and I think many will be happy about them. Perhaps they'll release black later on (as the different color edition H6's). But for me black is not that hot on that kind of headset.

And even apple went from black to space gray :).

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member
BeoLignage replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 10:05 PM

Michael:

BeoGreg:
vikinger:

They do look great. But how many will upgrade from H6 to H8?

Graham

Not me yet, still haven't played enough with my H6 pepsi.

I don't know if I will ever go the Bluetooth way : another device with a battery you have to power up all the time.

Ok for a big speaker that can play while charging but headphones...

You can use them with a headphone-cable too. But I am not sure they work without power however. Perhaps.

They do look extraordinary Smile 

with the headphone-cable plugged in and ANC active you will have 35h battery life...

BATTERY 
Replaceable and rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
· Capacity 800 mA
· Up to 14 hours with Bluetooth and ANC
· Up to 16 hours with Bluetooth
· Up to 35 hours with ANC
· Charging time 3 hours

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 10:29 PM

KMA:
The current colors do not match any B&O products I have...

Headphones are things you wear. I do not want to wear glass and aluminum, or wood (latest B&O products), but I frequently wear a brown leather jacket that could match the headphones... 

Stop thinking that headphones are a B&O product to show in you living room, take them and go outside, live with them... Whistle

Headphones are a fashion accessory, not a hifi product.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Wed, Jan 14 2015 12:50 AM
mbee:

Headphones are things you wear. I do not want to wear glass and aluminum, or wood (latest B&O products), but I frequently wear a brown leather jacket that could match the headphones...

Stop thinking that headphones are a B&O product to show in you living room, take them and go outside, live with them...

diisign.com

I would be using the H8 mostly with Beovision 11 (equipped with a bluetooth transmitter) in my livingroom Smile. The H8 are too big for on-the-go use outside, in my opinion (I think the same of H6). I have the 3i earset for outdoor use.

And I'd like to think of H8 headphones as a hifi product, not a fashion accessory. In any case, I don't wear too many brown clothes; my leather jackets are black Big Smile. I do use brown shoes though, so going out with H8, feet & head would match Yes - thumbs up

KMA

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jan 14 2015 9:12 AM

mbee:

My, how times have changed!Laughing

Ban boring signatures!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Jan 14 2015 11:18 AM

just looked up the meaning of fashion and the verb is "make into a particular form" and the noun "manner of doing something"....

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Jan 15 2015 11:51 PM
beautiful lady Big Smile waow !

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sun, Jan 18 2015 2:29 AM

Do these make sense other then for those buying a fashion thing?

The analogue output on i devices is mediocre junk. The i device bluetooth implementation doesnt even support aptx.

Android I believe does that but thats the other half of the matket space.

They stress the great sound in reviews but honestly, with an iphonr how good cannt be?

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sun, Jan 18 2015 2:38 AM

Actually it seems to support AAC encoding, so that might make it an interesting choice

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:40 AM

If it was possible to charge trough the iPhones lightning-port AND play music that way that would have been the best of everything. Philips released a pair of headphones that uses lightning and that means it can use it´s own high quality dac to play music at high quality - bypassing Apples sound hardware.

I heard someone say H8 has it´s own DAC and yes, that is true for bluetooth at least but if it has to use bluetooth it´s not able to play lossless music anyway. 

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Sun, Jan 18 2015 8:07 PM

I had a play with H8 on training in Berlin last week and they really are superb - good output when played via blue tooth from my iPhone. Slightly smaller than H6 with the same premium build quality and adjusting the volume on the ear piece very cool!

Should prove to be very popular....

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Sun, Jan 18 2015 8:24 PM
SHEFFIELD:

I had a play with H8 on training in Berlin last week and they really are superb - good output when played via blue tooth from my iPhone. Slightly smaller than H6 with the same premium build quality and adjusting the volume on the ear piece very cool!

Brilliant I'll get my mate in Rotherham to get a pair online from BeoPlay.com
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:45 PM
SHEFFIELD:

Anything else on the training agenda ?

Hmmmm Smile

BeoNut since '75

Ramasjang
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Bronze Member
Ramasjang replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 8:40 AM
Hi

Any news on when they will be available in the physical stores??
Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 9:45 AM

2 thoughts....

is the lightning port as secure as the headphone jack as I have only used the port when stationery or desk bound and it would be interesting how one could use a portable battery extender at the same time as the H8's being connected.

also can someone make a woolly hat that both keeps my head warm and gives me the ability to listen to my headphones without any loss of performance...

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 11:39 AM

I'm curious to know how the aluminium touch controls will work under certain circumstances like cold or humid weather.

I have to see the design in real life to judge and I have to listen. Would be nice if they sound more Hifi wise...

In Terms of technology I think that Bluetooth plus Active Noise Cancelling is an ideal combination! When I bought my fantastic Sony MDR-1RNC Headphones I head to choose: Bluetooth OR Noise Cancelling. Nowadays with the H8 I can have both.

And believe me: For frequent traveling the noise canceling feature is a BIG plus of comfort. I love it when I'm sitting on the plane, switch the Sony headphones on, here the power on chime and *SWOOSH* the noise of the plane's turbines is far away. :)

Lightning ports on headphones: This is not a good development as Apple is trying to control everything on the technology field, dictate everybody and - if you are not on their path - sue everybody else! In my opinion this is not good for choice on the market. I know, many people will say "No, Apple is great and friendly!" but if you watch their overall activities in the past few years... the signs are there. :)

Uldall
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 160
Bronze Member
Uldall replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 12:47 PM

Just ordred a pair :)

/Uldall

It´s a lifestyle.

mr_anders_son
Top 75 Contributor
sweden
Posts 1,710
Founder

Uldall:

Just ordred a pair :)

/Uldall

Me too:-)

BeoVision Haermony 65"...BeoLab 28 Anthracite....BeoLab 17 as REAR....BV10-32....BC6-26....Beosound 9000....Beosound 1 New York edt....Beogram 4002....Beoplay Emerge....Beoplay M5....Beoplay M3....Beoremote Halo....BeoRemote One BT....Beo6....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....H95 Black LTD....H9i Rimowa....6 x H6....Form 1....U70...

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 7:31 PM

TWG:
I'm curious to know how the aluminium touch controls will work under certain circumstances like cold or humid weather.

The controls use pressure, not capacitance so can be used even with gloves.

Peter

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 11:38 PM

I have also ordered but my retailer will get them 18th febuary. I´m quite sure I can't wait that long.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Jan 21 2015 10:29 AM

OK the proof is in the pudding and I will be ear testing ASAP as I appreciate sound is subjective,  personally I prefer the looks of the H8's compared to the Zik 2.0 so 1 - 0 on the 1st count.

Parrot Zik 2.0 B&O Play H8
Price UK £299.99 £399
Weight 270g 255g
Dimensions 175 x 202 x 39.3mm 180 x 190 x 40mm
Battery Li-Ion 830mAh Li-Ion 800 mAh
Charge time 2.30hrs 3hrs
18hrs in travel mode 16hrs with Bluetooth
Standby 8 days no info
Bluetooth 3.00 4.00
AD2P AVRCP HFP PBAP NFC aptX AAC HSP HFP A2DP AVRCP
Frequency 20Hz - 20kHz 20Hz - 20kHz
Speakers neodymium 40 mm Dynamic 40mm 

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Fri, Jan 23 2015 5:09 PM

Crutchfield in the US has them in stock. I just ordered my pair.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Jan 23 2015 6:31 PM
does anyone know if you can easily replace the battery and how many charge cycles it can take ?

Ola Hansen
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 10
Bronze Member

16:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTJgUIRqsI&spfreload=10

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 8:10 PM
Ola Hansen:

16:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTJgUIRqsI&spfreload=10

that's clever

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Tue, Jan 27 2015 9:55 PM

mine was delivered today, next monday I have my  first flight with it.

Its not coming with a proper case, just a sack, the controls do work but taking some getting used to, for example I can only switch noise canceling off using my thumb, not my pointer finger. 

Need to play with it some more ..... will report back next week how trip went ....

paul 00
Not Ranked
lincoln uk
Posts 10
Bronze Member
paul 00 replied on Thu, Jan 29 2015 12:35 PM

Just had a play with the H8 at my dealer this morning, they sound very good,bit of a difference in sound going form noise canceling on to off,being very left handed will take a bit of getting used to right handed control.

Ordered a pair coming next week.

Its all about the music.

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Thu, Jan 29 2015 2:33 PM

What I found after using it a bit, if I use my thumb instead of my index finger it works flawless. Maybe thats because it has more surface area.

Sound wise I like them, noise canceling works, I had my dryer on and the noise from it got muted. There is no hissing when you are listening to quiet periods of music.

Only disappointment is that there is no travel case to store the thing, the little bag may not be enough protection when on the road.

Ramasjang
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Bronze Member
Ramasjang replied on Fri, Jan 30 2015 8:51 PM
Does the Beoplay H8 support aptX low latency?
Wilderwein
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Gold Member

Can some one tell us how they sound compared to the h6?

Thanks

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jan 31 2015 10:01 AM
Wilderwein:

Can some one tell us how they sound compared to the h6?

Thanks

Please ..... don't Surprise

BeoNut since '75

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Sun, Feb 1 2015 10:25 AM

Could someone who already owns a pair answer this question for me? Does the 3.5 jack lead included have an inline remote and mic? Thanks. 

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sun, Feb 1 2015 4:23 PM

It doesnt. The microphone is built into the headphones.

The way the plug looks you won't have an "IOS Iphone" type of remote so the extended controls that happen via tapping the side of the headphone won't work. It just has 3 sections on the plug, I think for any kind of remote function you need 4 just like on the apple earphone plugs.

JK

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Why not use a plug from H6's?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Sun, Feb 1 2015 9:56 PM

Good point. In theory, could any lead from a pair of headphones that has four sections on the plug be used?

Page 2 of 17 (663 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS