Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ต
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Tue, Feb 3 2015 12:16 PM
Definitely, BeoPlay H8 sounds better with more bass and dynamic. The noise cancelling works perfectly. Yes - thumbs up

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Using Bluetooth or wired connection?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ต
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

Using Bluetooth or wired connection?

Bluetooth don't drops.

BeoPlay H8 is certainly the best headphone from Bang & Olufsen ever made.

991fan
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member
991fan replied on Tue, Feb 3 2015 4:20 PM

Has anyone else who's got these experienced terrible feedback when moving or adjusting the headset?

I've had two pairs delivered today and they both do the same. Proper feedback high pitched and loud sound.

Thanks

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I got to test them quickly at the store today.

Dealer confirms that the H6 cable will work, and that it will function with the remote functions.

***One thing I experienced was that when double-tapping the side of the headphones, it dialed the last number on my phone. It did not skip a track like it should. Going back tomorrow, so I will have a closer look/listen.*** my mistake: this is the correct function. swiping does the track-skipping. Double-tap is redial. I confused it with the double-click on the remote.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 1:54 PM

KMA:
I think herein lies the problem: there are no "Bang & Olufsen" headphones anymore, they are all in the B&O Play range. And not offering the wireless H8 in a classic black leaves a hole in the range, in my opinion. Black is timeless and suits any existing B&O gear, whereas there's nothing brown in the Bang & Olufsen product range. And my Space Gray iPhone 6 is naked Big Smile so nothing brown or golden there either.

As I really don't like the "designer colors" of these new wireless Play headphones, I'll be getting black bluetooth headphones from another brand for the time being, hoping I can switch to black H8 some time in the future. Pity, as I was really looking forward to bluetooth headphones from B&O

Edit: to clarify, I'll be using the headphones mainly with BV11 with a bluetooth transmitter dongle.

I think H8 is mayor overkill for home usage. They are made to tune out aircraft sounds and turbulence mainly. I would just get a wireless pair with a charger to keep at home for those late night movies. 

I tried the H8´s yesterday. But can't decide on the color. However I think more colors will be released later on..

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Hahaha take both... Big Smile

No, seriously, I find the beige/gold combo a little bit Dubai-style but I have to be fair and say at the same time there is something strangely refined and luxe in that color combo.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 2:15 PM

AnalogPlanet:

Hahaha take both... Big Smile

No, seriously, I find the beige/gold combo a little bit Dubai-style but I have to be fair and say at the same time there is something strangely refined and luxe in that color combo.

Haha yes. Well I had the same thought but I like the look of them on my head actually. But I could do without the gold. Probably getting the darker ones to play it safe. If any. I don't really need more headphones but I swear everyday about the damn cables :D. 

Don't think battery life will be better on my iphone with wireless headphones tough. But I am curious, perhaps the battery life won't be affected much. I mean having to send the audio over bluetooth instead of amplifying it - perhaps it takes the same amour of energy, perhaps even less.. 

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 4:52 PM

Michael:
I think H8 is mayor overkill for home usage. They are made to tune out aircraft sounds and turbulence mainly. I would just get a wireless pair with a charger to keep at home for those late night movies. 

I tried the H8´s yesterday. But can't decide on the color. However I think more colors will be released later on..

I have the AKG Y45BT at the moment for wireless use with BV11. They're okay for the inexpensive price — and black! — but what annoys me is the slight hiss they make when there's a silent moment in a movie. This was mentioned as a "con" in their review.

I'm really warming up to the dark brown H8, and they're now on my shopping list. Besides home use, I'll probably also use them outdoors at the Villa during summer, whenever I get tired of listening to the birds having a ruckus in the garden! Big Smile

Also judging from the photo, the brown ones indeed look good, so you cannot go wrong with them.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

fredpert
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Bronze Member

Hi KMA,

What kind of bluetooth dongle will you use and how are you going to connect it to the BV11 to get the sound through the H8?

Thanks

FREDPERT

BeoVision 11-46 full black - BeoRemote One

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 10:04 AM
fredpert:

Hi KMA,

What kind of bluetooth dongle will you use and how are you going to connect it to the BV11 to get the sound through the H8?

Thanks

FREDPERT

BeoVision 11-46 full black - BeoRemote One silk

Hi Fredpert,

I am using the Avantree Priva BT transmitter, connected to BV11 with a RJ45 (powerlink) to RCA/Line out cable.

You can find links to the products (Priva & the cable) and the settings I am using on BV11 from my post at:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/13476/119563.aspx

It's really easy to set it up, you just need the right cable to connect the Avantree Priva bluetooth transmitter to BV11, and then follow my settings at the post I linked above. Your dealer will also be able to supply the right cable for connecting the bluetooth transmitter dongle. It works with all bluetooth headphones.

KMA

fredpert
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Bronze Member
fredpert replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 10:41 AM

Thank you very much KMA, this is really helpful! I'm really looking forward to get my BV11 installed now... It's planned Sat 21st, still long days to wait though.

Cheers

FREDPERT

fredpert
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Bronze Member
fredpert replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 11:01 AM

I guess if I want to use a wired headphone, I just need to connect it to an amplifier and then connect to it a second Avantree Priva in the receiver mode? Am I correct?

Thanks

FREDPERT

paul 00
Not Ranked
lincoln uk
Posts 10
Bronze Member
paul 00 replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 1:40 PM

Just picked up my H8's(many thanks to William from Bang & Olufsen Lincoln) nice packaging .

Only played with them for a hour but so far sound great,very good feel to them.

Its all about the music.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

paul 00:

Just picked up my H8's(many thanks to William from Bang & Olufsen Lincoln) nice packaging .

Only played with them for a hour but so far sound great,very good feel to them.

Just ordered a pair myself and should have them early next week.

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 4:47 PM

I had mine on the plane by now.

For one, they can connect to multiple devices at the same time, so you can just go from Iphone Music Listening to Ipad Video watching and back,

Noise canceling works like a charm, Sound I would rate very very good compared to the Beats Pros Non Noise canceling headphones I was using before. Note that I have AAC files on Iphone which H8 nativly should support.

They are super comfortable, even with glasses.

The controls on the side work flawless when I use my thumb instead of index finger, even volume control is precise enough. I slept with them on (red eye), one just needs to switch off the blue tooth for that since head motion while sleeping can activate the music.

Wireless adds actually more comfort then I expected.

Very happy with my purchase

Cheers

JK

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 8:50 PM
fredpert:

I guess if I want to use a wired headphone, I just need to connect it to an amplifier and then connect to it a second Avantree Priva in the receiver mode? Am I correct?

Thanks

FREDPERT

BeoVision 11-46 full black - BeoRemote One silk

Hi Fredpert,

The Avantree Priva does not have a receiver mode, the Avantree Saturn Pro does. The Priva is only a transmitter, so using two of them to bridge a bluetooth connection will not work.

In any case, I would not recommend using Avantree Priva to transmit from BV11 and then Avantree Saturn Pro to receive the signal to your Amp, as this would most likely result in audio sync delay issue (double latency).

Instead, get two RJ45 -> RCA/Line cables:

1) Connect one of them from BV11 to Avantree Priva for wireless bluetooth headphones.

2) Connect the other from BV11 to the Amp for wired headphones.

You'll use two RJ45 (powelink) sockets for this, for example PL4 and PL5, and you'll need to create another Speaker Group for the Amp. So you will have, for example, these two speaker groups:

1) "Wireless Headphones" (PL4 connection, RJ45 to Priva)

2) "Headphone Amp" (PL5 connection, RJ45 to Amp)

(You can name the Speaker Groups freely.)

From BV11's menus, simply use the same settings for both connections (the settings I mentioned in my post for bluetooth headphones). They work for connecting an Amp, too.

Don't hesitate to ask for further advice Smile

KMA

Temi
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Temi replied on Sun, Feb 8 2015 8:24 AM

I bought mine about a week ago, intending to use this as my entertainment on my commute on the train.

Sounds are great,  Noise canceling is very nice.  Even without NC, I think it blocks out a lot of unwanted sounds.

I'm having a little problem, but I'm not sure if it's just the unit or if this is the problem with this model.

Using bluetooth... if you're walking around, I get sound drops.  This is especially true when I'm at the train station.  

Perhaps this is caused by interference from other devices? 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Just got mine. Quick test, now charging.

Sound nice, clean sound, hassle-free and comfortable.

Does what it says on the tin.

Get to test the NC in 3 weeks time on long-haul. See what they arte like to live with then.

A Good buy!

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 10:20 PM

I'm really enjoying my H8s. 

As we know, the H8 supports AAC which is the format iTunes uses. But what happens to music from Spotify played through an iPhone to the H8s? Is it being converted by the iPhone to something the H8s can play or are the headphones doing the converting?

From my searches on Google, it seems Spotify uses the OGG format. The music on Spotify sounds as good to my ears as the AAC which is natively supported by the H8s, so how is this achieved if the H8s don't support OGG natively?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 11:11 AM
jonnyb:

I'm really enjoying my H8s.

As we know, the H8 supports AAC which is the format iTunes uses. But what happens to music from Spotify played through an iPhone to the H8s? Is it being converted by the iPhone to something the H8s can play or are the headphones doing the converting?

From my searches on Google, it seems Spotify uses the OGG format. The music on Spotify sounds as good to my ears as the AAC which is natively supported by the H8s, so how is this achieved if the H8s don't support OGG natively?

I think the iPhone will send the music as AAC 256kbit which it encodes on the fly. I think this might be the case with AAC files also. I am not sure the files are sent directly to the headphones. If they are re encoded then some loss will happen.

I noticed when I had my A2 that my Mac started a special process that took some cpu to encode the sound for the A2.

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 1:50 PM

I would be surprised if the iPhone was re-encoding the AAC files to send to the H8. Surely the fact that B&O says that the H8 supports AAC (in the tech spec on the Beoplay site) means that the iPhone will just send the file which can be played natively on the H8?

It makes sense that it would re-encode other unsupported formats, though, like OGG. I guess the on-the-fly encoding must be good enough to be nearly indistinguishable from the original file.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 5:19 PM
Picked up my new H8's now and also saw special edition Beolab 18 and BeoPlay A9 in copper to celebrate b&o 90 years. Looks very cool.

Ramasjang
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Bronze Member
Ramasjang replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 5:55 PM
Hi

Am I the only one have issue with ANC when using Bluetooth?

I have trouble turning it on and off with the gestures, up and down. Is there any why to tell if it is on? Sound beep or light.

Also I read somewhere that it is possible to use an H6 cabel with microphone, can any on confirm that?

It doesn't say so and the play website.

Thanks Big Smile
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 6:03 PM
jonnyb:

I would be surprised if the iPhone was re-encoding the AAC files to send to the H8. Surely the fact that B&O says that the H8 supports AAC (in the tech spec on the Beoplay site) means that the iPhone will just send the file which can be played natively on the H8?

It makes sense that it would re-encode other unsupported formats, though, like OGG. I guess the on-the-fly encoding must be good enough to be nearly indistinguishable from the original file.

I just connected my H8's to my iPhone and I can hear the "click" sound when locking the screen over the music. That means that the file is not sent to the earphones to decode but that the iPhone re encodes.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 7:14 PM
I hear a faint noise in the background that I don't like. Typical for Bluetooth headsets. Didn't expect it in H8.. And the sound cuts out when I'm on my bike. Just a few dropouts but I don't like it.

I expected the headphones to send battery info to my iPhone but nope. (Other headphones do).

And I can't get Siri to work. That is a must. Perhaps I'm doing It wrong (haven't read the manual yet).

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:24 PM

Dont all active speakers of B&O (exclusion of BL5) have an hiss becouse of the full trothle of amplification? I've read that it was an delibirate choise as you need to filter certain freq. which alter the sound.

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:29 PM

No they don't. I have never heard any hissing from one of my beolabs.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:36 PM
Amazone:

No they don't. I have never heard any hissing from one of my beolabs.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, Beo6, AppleTV, BeoPlay A2

I hear it from all of them :)

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:49 PM

All my beolabs hiss, i do have to crawl into the alluminium to hear. But yes, its there. (Tweeter)

Also just saw a twitter reply from Beoplay that there is no Siri activation On the H8.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:27 AM
How could B&O forget about Siri integration? Indifferent

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:39 AM

I think that can't be right, otherwise B&O wouldn't pick out AAC as a compatible format on the specs on the Beoplay website. If it just recoded the AAC file they could also describe the H8 as OGG, MP3 compatible etc. they specifically pick out AAC for a special mention. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:45 AM

jonnyb:

I think that can't be right, otherwise B&O wouldn't pick out AAC as a compatible format on the specs on the Beoplay website. If it just recoded the AAC file they could also describe the H8 as OGG, MP3 compatible etc. they specifically pick out AAC for a special mention. 

They wrote it since iPhone doesn't support aptX and therefore it would sound horrible if it didnt support the standard by which the iPhone outputs it´s sound to bluetooth headphones. (thats what I think). 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:25 AM

Temi:

I bought mine about a week ago, intending to use this as my entertainment on my commute on the train.

Sounds are great,  Noise canceling is very nice.  Even without NC, I think it blocks out a lot of unwanted sounds.

I'm having a little problem, but I'm not sure if it's just the unit or if this is the problem with this model.

Using bluetooth... if you're walking around, I get sound drops.  This is especially true when I'm at the train station.  

Perhaps this is caused by interference from other devices? 

I got this problem too. 

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 10:14 AM

I tweeted them again. My curiosity has been piqued. Let's see what they say!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 11:50 AM
jonnyb:

I tweeted them again. My curiosity has been piqued. Let's see what they say!

Must say I'm surprised by their quite blatant answer. I hope they'll fix it.

I tried connecting the H8s by USB to my computer but it won't appear so I guess it really is for charging only. The headphones are also on while charging (even if in off position). I hear the noise from them as if they were turned on.

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 2:56 PM

Oh dear. This is the reply I got from Beoplay on Twitter which tells me nothing I didn't already know.:

"BeoPlay H8 supports AAC, which is the format Apple uses instead of AptX."

What I wanted to know was what the implications of that are. Oh well. Twitter isn't good for nuanced, detailed answers.

The implication from the not-very-helpful answer appears to be that AAC is offered as an alternative because Aptx is not supported by Apple. So that would still seem to lend credence to the idea that the H8 supports AAC natively. I might try and rephrase the question!

jonnyb
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
jonnyb replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 3:07 PM

I found this on a US site selling the H8:

"

• Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphones
    • aptX™ and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices"
L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:12 PM

As AAC is just a codec, it comes files but also as streams. iDevices output all-sounds at the highest bitrate possible in AAC, no matter the input. 

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:16 PM

Michael:
I hear the noise

Could you specify this noise? Is this something you would have not bought the H8? I'm want to buy these but expect high quality. The drop-outs and hiss would make me reconsider. 

Page 3 of 17 (663 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS