Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

replacing rubber surrounds on Beolab 6000s

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member
Bill Briscoe Posted: Tue, Jan 20 2015 1:29 AM

hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with replacing the surrounds on a pair of Beolab 6000s.  Specifically, i need help choosing the right solvent to help remove the old surrounds from the bottom of the speaker cone.  I tried isopropyl alcohol and something called goo-gone but neither was helpful.  Is acetone a good choice?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 12:06 PM

Hi Bill,

the work I've done has all been on foam surrounds and the IPA has worked each time.  I guess the rubber surrounds use a different glue!  Goo-Gone is usualy great on most sticky stuff but if that or IPA don't work, you may have to try something else.  If you try acetone (or acetone substitute) be very carefull and sparing to start with just in case there is any reaction to the housing.  There are other 'universal solvents' which may be safer.  Certainly here in France we have one which is an acetone substitute which works well and doesn't seem to damage plastic type materials like acetone can.

Any feedback with what works would be nice for future reference.  You can the the BL6000 scarificial lamb!

I've just been reading about other rubber/butyl glues and some are water based.  Have you tried water?  Butanone and acetone are mentioned frequently for removal.

Good luck,

Dave.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS