Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Boegram 4002 No Sound

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

libor
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
libor Posted: Thu, Jan 22 2015 5:27 PM

Hello guys, so I bought Beogram 4002 type 5511. Yesterday I thought my only problem was burnt bulb in detector arm, but today I opened the turntable and found a mechanism for lowering the tone arm manually, so I changed DIN to RCA cable and connected turntable to amp and.. nothing.

I assume turntable got hit pretty hard while in shipping, because the corner of tt is damaged and there is a small hole on the cardboard box. I think that is the reason why bulb burnt and also black plastic cover felt off the MMC20E cartridge. I also dont see any diamond tip on the needle. I assume cartridge is broken..? I can hear mechanical" sound when needle scratches the record - is it good, bad or not relevant?

Could it be something other then a damaged cartridge?

What can I do to identify the problem?

Thank you very much and please excuse my english.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Thu, Jan 22 2015 5:45 PM

Check with a magnifier how the stylus (diamond) condition is - or if it is there at all.  Is the cantilever (tube) intact?

What amplifier and speakers do you have it connected to?    Don't run it without a stylus on the cantilever as it's a sure way to ruin vinyl.  The plastic cover can be reglued onto the cartridge body and the cartridge can be retipped if the cantilever is intact.

Are you sure you re-wired it properly when you 'converted' it to DIN?  You may have been better off buying the correct adapter rather than swapping cables about which is completely unnecessary and can give problems such as you describe (no sound).

You need to do this properly as these TT's are complicated and unforgiving if you start 'playing around' with them.  You will need to fault find in a methodical manner.  Search the forum for threads on BG4000, 4002 and 4004.  There are plenty.  Get the cartridge sorted first, clean and lubricate the TT and then start to examine it.  Use the service manual (on here for Silver and Gold members) to understand how it all works and then proceed in a logical manner.

Dave.

libor
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
libor replied on Thu, Jan 22 2015 6:48 PM

Thank you for answering, Dave. Stylus - there is something or lets say near to nothing, maybe 0,1 mm of diamond. I don't even know if it is diamond, just a very very small hump. Cantilever looks fine. I found company which does retipnig but it is in USA, do you know about somebody in EU? Germany, Austria would be great.

I am just wondering - even if diamond is nearly gone, wouldn't there be any kind of sound? Humming maybe? I can hear absolutely nothing coming of the speakers. 

I am sure I did DIN to RCA convert correctly - with this thread in mind http://goo.gl/b9jDMu

I have just a cheap Cambridge audio preamp with Philips active speakers, but it works fine with my neighbour's Tesla turntable. 

Trust me I am browsing this forum like a maniac:) But I am more of a computer guy - graphic designer, so this is new world for me. But I really love this TT and Bang Olufsen, so I am willing to learn!

Thank you

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Thu, Jan 22 2015 9:42 PM

If you can just see a 'hump', it's probably just the bonding material and the stylus (diamond) is missing.  Yes, in Germany there is an excellent company that retips B&O cartridges:

http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-SYSTEM-Cartridge/B-O-MMC-20-Systeme/

The cartridge may be completely shot internally but Axel will tell you before he works on it if that's the case.  Replacements can be found but invariably also need retipping.  If you brush the cantilever with everything switched on, you should hear something.  However, if a mute relay is damaged, you may also hear nothing if it's stuck '.

Dave.

libor
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
libor replied on Thu, Jan 22 2015 10:13 PM

Thank you for the tip! Germany is great for me.

Mute relay? Interesting! Could you please tell me more about it?  Where is it located and how do I confirm that it is really damaged?

Can I maybe bypass it just for testing purposes?

I really appreciate your help.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:44 PM

The 'silent circuit' is on board 8.

If you upgrade to Silver or Gold membership you get access to the full service manual (including fault finding and circuit diagrams etc).  If you aim to work on this TT, you will need this.  You cannot work blind on these as any adjustment of one thing often leads to another issue somewhere else.  They are very complicated machines.

Some pictures may be useful.

Dave.

libor
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
libor replied on Fri, Jan 23 2015 5:45 PM

OK, Dave, Thank you. I don't think I am able to do anything else than change a bulb in detection arm:)  Is the silent ciruit somehow conected to detection arm circuit? I mean is it possible that I dont hear any sound from speakers because the tonearm isnt lowered automacticaly by turntable but by me - mechanicaly moving the soleniod? My question is how does the silent circuit know that it should "deactivate" itself:) This is my last question I promise. I just want to keep some hope that when I change a bulb and cartridge I'll hear some sound:)

If this circuit is broken I will have to send TT to somebody for repair. Is there somebody experienced nearby my location - Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czech rep., Poland? So this was another question, sorry:)

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Jan 23 2015 8:52 PM

Guessing you're ie E. Europe somewhere, I'd suggest getting in touch with member 'Dillen' by e-mail.  He's in Copenhagen, Denmark and is a master of B&O repairs.

I don't know the mechanism or what actually triggers the mute circuit to operate.  It must be mechanical and linked to the tonearm movement and the sound normally comes on just after the stylus has touched the vinyl.

Without the detector bulb, nothing much will hapen anyway I don't think.  Get that sorted and a good cartridge, put on some vinyl and see what happens.  I also dont know if the TT senses that there is no record (which if the detection bulb is broken, it thinks there is no record) then maybe the silent circuit is active until a record is detected by the detector - I just don't know.  Have you se"rached the forum for other BG4000 series issues?

Dave.

libor
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
libor replied on Fri, Jan 30 2015 4:11 PM

I would like to report that mute switch was really the problem. I can also confirm that this mute circuit is somehow connected to detection circuit, so if there is a problem in your detection circuit (burnt bulb in my case) you will not hear any sound from your Beogram 4002 even when you lower tonearm manually.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS