Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

My new contribution: "LC3" to control your Philips Hue Lamps like LC2s....

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon Posted: Sat, Feb 7 2015 11:57 AM

Hello all!

Here’s my new contribution to for MLGW/BLGW.

It's a small Mac programme, It’s called LC3, and it’s a bridge between the MLGW or Beolink Gateway that allows full control of the Philips Hue Lamps as if they were “super LC2s”.

You can control individual lamps (On/Off, Intensity, Saturation, Colour), Save and Recall light pictures just like you did with LC2s. It is also designed to work nicely even if you also have LC2s in the room.

It requires a mac that is always on.

User Guide:

On your Beo4, press LIGHT then:

• To turn the lights on: LIGHT or GO
  • To turn the lights off: STOP
  • To dim the lights up or down, use the Up and Down arrows (you can keep the button pressed until you've reached the right intensity)
  • To change the saturation, use the Left and Right arrows (you can keep the button pressed, until you've reached the right saturation)
  • To change the colour, press on one of the colour button (RED for Red, YELLOW for Yellow, BLUE for Blue, GREEN for Green!). If you keep the colour button pressed, the lamps will start to cycle through all the colours, starting with the colour you've chosen. Release when you’ve reached the right colour. So if you want a Purple, press Blue for a few seconds.
  • To control an individual lamp, press LIST until you find LAMP (you may need to add it to your Beo4 List). Then press the lamp number (0-9); the selected lamp will flash briefly, then all the commands above will only apply to this lamp.
  • To save a light picture, press LIST until you find STORE (you may need to add it to your Beo4), then press STORE then a number (0-9) then STORE again.
  • To call a light picture just press the number (0-9) corresponding to the light picture you’ve saved.

As you can see, except for the selection of colour and saturation, all the rest works exactly like controlling an LC2.

Setup Guide:

1. On your MLGW/BLGW, save the current configuration so you can revert to it if anything goes wrong.
  2. Delete all LIGHT rules that could interfere (the rules that have LIGHT triggers).
  3. In “Interfaces”, create a user and password for connection to the MLGW, or in “Setup > Interfaces”, disable Authentication.
  4. Download http://www.conversation-it.co.uk/Downloads/MLGW/LC3.zip and install it on a Mac connected to the internet and to the MLGW/BLGW via ethernet, and that will not go to sleep.
  5. Open LC3, and in LC3 > Preferences, enter the MLGW user/password that you have created in the 3rd step, or leave empty if you have disabled authentication.
  6. Quit and restart LC3.
  7. Go to every room that has Hue Lamps and that has a Beovision or Beolink Active/Passive that passes the LIGHT signal to the BLGW or MLGW. Press the LIGHT key on you remote.
  8. In the LC3 window, you’ll see a message of this kind “MLGW: Key 155 in room 5”. Make a note of each room number.
  9. On your iPhone, open the Philips Hue app, and re-name each Lamp so that its name ends with Space followed by the room number, followed by the lamp number. For example, the lamp you want to number 1 next to the fireplace in room 5 should be called “Fireplace 5-1”. You can choose any name, it just needs to end with “(space)x-x”.
  10. If you have no LC2 in the room, you can start numbering your lamps at 1, then 2, etc… If you already have LC2s, than make sure you’re not using numbers already attributed to the LC2s in the same room.
  11. You can number a lamp 1 in room 1 and another lamp 1 in room 2.
  12. Once you’ve renamed all lamps in MLGW compatible rooms, wait for 1 minute, and LC3 will pick up the room and lamp numbers and configure itself.

You can start using you Beo4 as per the user guide above…

Let me know if you have any questions…

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Feb 7 2015 3:30 PM

Brilliant, Phil!

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
Posts 333
Bronze Member

Sounds great!

However, is it only Beovisions and Beolink Active/passive boxes that can pass through LIGHT commands - no Beocenters/Beosounds?

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Rivenflush:
no Beocenters/Beosounds?

The Beosound 4 is compatible, as well as Beosound/Beomaster 5. And some Beocenter 6.

The list is available here: MLGW product compatibility.doc it is a MLGW limitation.

p.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

I have updated the app with the following features:

- It will try and reconnect to the MLGW if it disconnects

- Pressing LIGHT 3 times, or LIGHT, PLAY, PLAY will turn all the lights white at top intensity. (pressing LIGHT twice or LIGHT+PLAY will turn the light on with their previous state).

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

... and I forgot, you can now Save and Recall light pictures for EVENING, GENERAL, HOME, LEAVING, MORNING, MUSIC, OUTDOOR, RELAX, SLEEP, TV VIEW, which are available in the LIST when using the newer Beo4 with Joystick.

To save a light picture you under EVENING, for example, you need to do STORE, EVENING, STORE.

lano
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
lano replied on Sat, Feb 7 2015 9:33 PM
Hi, seems every nice. Does this work with the MLGW also? If so I think I might buy a Hue to test. May I ask how the MLGW knows that the light commands should be routed to the LC3 program? Or do you read all the telegrams and pick the valid once?
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

lano:
Does this work with the MLGW also?

If you've got an MLGW with Ethernet, yes, it should. The MLGW and Beolink Gateway use the same integration protocol. You can test the programme before you buy the Hue Starter kit. You won't be able to do anything with it, but the log window will tell you if it connects correctly to the MLGW. You can press keys on the remote and see in the log if they're received.

lano:
May I ask how the MLGW knows that the light commands should be routed to the LC3 program?

Yes all the telegrams are forwarded to any programme that connects to the MLGW. The MLGW or any other system connected to it will still receive and treat LIGHT commands if they've got rules setup.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

lano:
If so I think I might buy a Hue to test.

The starter kit comes with the Hue Bridge, which is necessary. You need to connect the bridge to the Ethernet.

lano
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
lano replied on Sat, Feb 7 2015 10:06 PM
Excellent and thanks for the answers. Have you ever looked at openhab? Do you think that it is possible to build a plugin (binding) that connects to the MLGW/BLGW? If that's the case it would open up a lot of possibilities to connect many things to the MLGW.
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

lano:
Have you ever looked at openhab? Do you think that it is possible to build a plugin (binding) that connects to the MLGW/BLGW?

I haven't looked at Openhab yet, I have looked at Indigo for Mac and developed a plugin for it. You can see details here: http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/13779/120950.aspx#120950

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sat, Feb 7 2015 11:59 PM
Phil

This is incredible work you're doing.

Thanks for getting involved with the blgw. I've been a fan of it for quite some time.

I use radiora2 as the primary device and control both b&o and lighting with it.

However, you are opening up great new possibilities for us.

Thanks again!!
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

lano:
Have you ever looked at openhab?

I had a look at it this morning, although it seems very extensive, it seems quite complex. It is indeed possible to develop plugins/bindings in Java. The MLGW protocol is documented, so it shouldn't be difficult for any programmer.

Are you using Openhab yourself?

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Rivenflush:
However, is it only Beovisions and Beolink Active/passive boxes that can pass through LIGHT commands - no Beocenters/Beosounds?

I am planning to add support for the Ethernet or Wifi version of IRTrans, this will provide a cheap solution to control lights from rooms that do not have a compatible B&O product.

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Sun, Feb 8 2015 8:45 PM
Hi,

Your program sounds really nice! Unfortunateley the link to download it doesent work it says file does not exist. Is it possible to download it somwhere else?

Best regards!
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

I have fixed the link! 

Thanks for letting me know.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Feb 9 2015 10:03 PM
beojeff:

Brilliant, Phil!

I will echo I that !

So for an existing ML site (BeoSound 4 in one room and BV8-40 with constantly on MacMini) all that is needed is ?

- ML Gateway

- spare ML cable to ML junction box

- hue wireless bridge

- hue lights (standard starter box has 3)

- bulb screw fittings instead of bayonet

- and LC3 Big Smile

Correct ?

BeoNut since '75

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 10:28 AM

elephant:
BeoSound 4 in one room and BV8-40 with constantly on MacMini

BS4 and BV8 need to have the right software. This can be checked in http://mlgw.bang-olufsen.dk/source/documents/MLGW%20product%20compatibility.doc

Mac Mini needs to be 10.6 minimum.

elephant:
- ML Gateway

I have not tested on MLGW, but I am sure it'll work. I have tested it on a Beolink Gateway.

elephant:
- bulb screw fittings instead of bayonet

Adapters are available.

elephant:
and LC3

The Beolink Gateway with latest software can control Philips Hue lamps, out of the box (with some programming), but LC3 offers more flexibility, and there's no programming to do in the BLGW.

Guys! Don't rush and buy a MLGW or BLGW just because of LC3!!! I am very happy with my BLGW though.

Here is LC3's "road map"...

• I am planning to add support of the Wifi or Ethernet versions of IRTRANS. This will provide a cheap way to add a B&O IR receiver in rooms where there's no compatible B&O devices. I have ordered one and will soon see what I can do with it.
  • I am also planning to add support for the BeoPort's IR Receiver (but in that case the BeoPort cannot be used for N.MUSIC).
  • Finally I'd like to add support for Intertechno dimmers/switch, which are very popular in Germany and are very cheap.

p.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Phil

Personally I - at the moment - have no need for global controlling of light (I have several oldfashioned LC1's working in my home) or for the Gateway..

But I do understand a bit of how it works!

This project is a serious contribution to make the GW usefull for a lot of people - and maybe even more wanted.

Keep up your excellent work Yes - thumbs up

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

lano
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
lano replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:56 AM

I have tried Openhab just briefly. The aim was to get wether data in to my IHC system and also be able to set alarm with Google calendar or similar. It did work fine to get the weather data (from a Netatmo weather station) into the IHC system but the Google calendar solution was not so user friendly in the end.

I am still looking for a easy solution to set an alarm to go off at a certain time to trigger an event i the MLGW that will turn on Music on my BV3 in the bedroom and after a while raise the roller blinds. As it now I have have fix time that I can activate with a Virtual button in the Beolink app.

It will be very interesting to follow your work. I think that the LC3 will expand the audience and use for a BLGW/MLGW a lot.

lano
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
lano replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:59 AM

Do you think that it will be possible to get an input from IRTRANS to the BLGW/MLGW so that could be used as a trigger or will it only be sent to LC3?

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 12:07 PM

lano:
but the Google calendar solution was not so user friendly in the end.

Try Indigo. It has an integrated plugin for that (which I haven't used): 

http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=plugins:icalalarmprocessor

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 12:18 PM

lano:
Do you think that it will be possible to get an input from IRTRANS to the BLGW/MLGW so that could be used as a trigger or will it only be sent to LC3?

• It might well be possible to connect to IRTRANS from the MLGW with Custom Strings.
  • Also, I could let LC3 pass commands to the MLGW (control commands for example), they would trigger virtual buttons.
  • Or I could develop a plug in for Indigo, but that's not for the immediate future...

P.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS