Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bought Philips hue

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 3 Followers

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 Posted: Sun, Feb 22 2015 12:46 PM

Hi there

i bought a phillips hue lux starter set yesterday.

i have a bulb working with the Philips app. I have managed to connect it to the gateway as a global system.

i have also managed to import the resources under systems and assign a bulb to the room. I cannot seem to see the light on the app so I am sure I am missing something.

any thoughts all?

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 12:55 PM

Seanie_230:
see the light on the app

On which app?

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Bang and Olufsen one

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

That's because you need to program macros now...

You need to set virtual buttons that do things like All On, All Off, or set a scene, and they would appear on the app.

If you want to control with the Beo4, you need to set triggers based on LIGHT commands.

It is a rather painful process, as you need to manually send commands to each lamp to change the colour, saturation, intensity, on/of, for each scene. You cannot call a scene directly.

That's why I developed LC3 which simplify all of this, but requires a always on Mac mini. LC3 will allow control with the Beo4, and an unreleased version that I am using also allows setting Light Pictures with a simple custom string.

My experience with the Beolink gateway so far is that although it's a great box, it is better being left as a pure gateway and use an external system to deal with the actual home automation bit.

Another solution using a mac as well, is using Indigo (a home automation software), the MLGW plug in I developed, and their built in Hue plug in.

Also note one important thing... you'll need to pair the BLGW with the Hue Bridge before anything works... have you done that? It's a bit tricky.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Hi there

thank you.

after a weekend with it I think I am not really a big fan of the hue, the hue tap is very plastic and not really what I want to use. I think I will take hue back to john Lewis and invest in starting some Lutron.

Cheers all

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

That's right, they had a good remote but they discontinued it. That's why I am happy that I never have to use either the Hue remote or the Hue app now. The lamps are OK.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:27 PM

There is a way to recall a specific scene. It's a simple custom string. Once you have one string working, you just copy and past it for other scenes - replacing the alphanumeric name of the scene. It makes control MUCH better than controlling each lamp individually.

It's well worth the time to go through the online Hue API. It's well written and not that technical or complicated to understand. Trying a few simple commands on your computer using the debug tool will really help you understand how the Hue works and build your confidence. You will understand how Hue works with individual lamps, groups, and scenes.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:36 PM
Seanie_230:

Hi there

thank you.

after a weekend with it I think I am not really a big fan of the hue, the hue tap is very plastic and not really what I want to use. I think I will take hue back to john Lewis and invest in starting some Lutron.

Cheers all

BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

Remember that some one on these boards switched an Essence controller wheel to "light " mode and used the wheel to control their Hue

BeoNut since '75

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Oh good point. What wiring is needed is the unit standalone?

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:48 PM
Seanie_230:

The controller is standalone - it needs its mode changed ie after that it did not send audio commands.

There are a couple off tables illustrating this - but they are not in this device's iBook library - sorry

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:51 PM
Seanie_230:

Update Big Smile

Look / search for this thread by its title

Essence Remote in LIGHT Mode

BeoNut since '75

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:08 PM

I was the one who programmed an Essence Wall remote to control Philips Hue lights via the MLGW. It was surprisingly simple to set up. The wall remote is only about $200 (cheap by B&O standards, but still more than the Hue Tap). It's much more elegant than the plastic Hue Tap -- which requires quite a firm press to get any button to work. There is no wiring involved. The IR emitters on the Essence Wall remote are surprisingly strong. I have one at the opposite end of the same wall as my "hockey puck" B&O IR receiver and the signal was received without any problem. Once you set the Essence wall remote in light mode, you simply use the corresponding LIGHT commands when building your gateway macros. I have the buttons used to call up various Philips Hue scenes. I programmed the MUTE button to not only turn off the lights but also to put all B&O products into standby. This is very convenient when walking out the door. LIGHT FUNCTION 25 is the command that I use.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I return mine as it made a high frequent sound when off. Impossible to use in the bedroom. Have anyone tried the new Elgato?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:25 PM

leosgonewild:

I return mine as it made a high frequent sound when off. Impossible to use in the bedroom. Have anyone tried the new Elgato?

Did you happen to have the Hue bulb on a dimmer? I've heard that some dimmers will cause that sound. I replaced all of my dimmers with basic on/off toggle switches when connected to Hue bulbs. None of my 35 Hue bulbs make any sound.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

No, they were not on dimmers.

I amstill VERY sensitive to high-frequent noise, even at the age of 31. It is supposed to go down with age, but those lights still kept me sleepless.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 7:04 PM

My Hue bulbs were also making a high frequency noise when off. But after user complains, Philips released a corrective firmware that made all my bulbs silent ! 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

How long ago was this?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

How long ago was this?

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 7:39 PM

My starter set went back to John Lewis after it blew up the power socket. Another Philips product that didn't live up to its promise. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

I am very happy with mine, never had a problem. The only thing I do not like is controlling them with an app, but I solved that issue with the BLGW.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 8:24 PM

Got a Mathmos Jellywash 2 instead . Really good even if you can't control it with the Beo4!

http://www.mathmos.com/Jellywash-2-colour-changing-mood-light.html

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 11:01 AM

As I fully equiped my home with Hue in july, it was somewhere in the summer that I noticed the buzzing sound, and I think that it has been corrected somewhere between september and november...

By the way, hue bulb updates are quite frequent... And there is no version history to tell what has been corrected.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Hi all

I thought about taking Philips back today but something stopped me.

I don't like the hue tap switch which drove the choice.

I am actually quite interested in buying a Beosound essence as a light switch in the room and passing light commands from the Beosound 4 to a macro to control the Phillips hue light.

Quite interested.

Can anyone share the commands needed and possible commands that are avilible to control a hue bulb. I think I only need on off up down and dim.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

You can see the keys here.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 10:10 PM

Seanie_230:
Hi all

I thought about taking Philips back today but something stopped me.

I don't like the hue tap switch which drove the choice.

I am actually quite interested in buying a Beosound essence as a light switch in the room and passing light commands from the Beosound 4 to a macro to control the Phillips hue light.

Quite interested.

Can anyone share the commands needed and possible commands that are avilible to control a hue bulb. I think I only need on off up down and dim.

You really should take advantage of using the "scenes" using the custom strings rather than controlling each lamp separately. It makes a world of difference and the Hue responds better to scenes since they are stored in the bulbs themselves to prevent the "popcorn" effect. Using the iPad app is a very easy way to customize and save your scenes. You're going to be rather limited since you have the Lux bulbs instead of the full color bulbs, but you can still benefit from the differences between "warm" and "cold" light in the spectrum. When using a room full of the full color bulbs, you really can create unique light scenes. It's like making art with light. Keep in mind that you can do some amazing things with the lightstrips -- such as using them under cabinets to create subtle under-cabinet lighting. Once you have created your scenes, you can program them with various triggers and macros -- such as using the Beo4 and the Essence wall remote.

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 10:53 PM
I'm using an essence to control a panel and stand location with the control function.

Works as advertised.

I have light switches everywhere but it would be a great replacement for a light switch.

Once could even use the control function and combine lights and a/v.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Hi All

I just ordered myself an Essence to control my Hue lights via a Macro :)

I think this will look much Nicer than the Hue Tap.

The fun continues.....

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Feb 26 2015 5:34 PM

Seanie_230:

Hi All

I just ordered myself an Essence to control my Hue lights via a Macro :)

I think this will look much Nicer than the Hue Tap.

The fun continues.....

To be prepared, the Essence Wall Remote does not come with drywall anchors. There are two wood screws. I can't remember the size. They are rather small in diameter. You might want to be prepared with some plastic drywall anchors for the 2 screws unless you plan on attaching it to a stud.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Hi there

Thanks for the heads up

My walls are solid brick I will get some rawl plugs and screws when it arrives.

I hope this goes well. I am sure I will be asking loads of questions about hue commands.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Hi all

Fun day.

Went and bought a new light fitting with four Hue GU10's.

I have created some virtual buttons and can set on and off. Not sure how do step up percentages of light or how to call a scene.

Also got TV passing commands and controlling a room.

Noticed that BLGW does not see light and lamp as different commands too.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Hi automation fans

Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the command used to call a scene that I have saved in the hue from the gateway.

Cheers

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

The MLGW doesn't have that command :-(

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Hi there

Nope it doesn't but others have created a custom string that will call a scene.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

You know the BLGW cannot execute custom strings properly... The others are on MLGW.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
PhilLondon:

You know the BLGW cannot execute custom strings properly... The others are on MLGW.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: The Story Mouse . Grignan guide .

Oh OK.

I mixed them up.

I will work around it :)

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:21 PM

Seanie-

I wrote the custom strings to control the Philips Hue scenes. I would be happy to help you with this. If you search "Philips Hue" in BeoWorld, you will find my detailed instructions on how to use the custom strings. In all fairness to B&O, the reason they haven't included scenes in their built-in support on BLGW is probably because each user's scenes will have very unique ID numbers and it would not be easy for B&O to include in the driver a way to determine those ID numbers. In order to do this, you really need to follow the online Philips Hue API tutorial. It might require you to register for a password, but the tutorial is extremely easy to understand. You can complete it in less than 30 minutes. It will teach you how to get a "key" to enter into the custom string to take control of your hue bridge. It will also teach you how to get into the debug utility -- in which you can see what the ID numbers are of your scenes. Once you get past this basic learning point, you understand how to do it all. Once you get ONE scene programmed into your BLGW, it's just a matter of copy and pasting and replacing the scene ID number to store all of the other scenes.

I very much respect PhilLondon. His computer coding skills blow mine away by far. As I don't have a BLGW, I can't see what the differences might be that are causing the custom string problems. My guess is that the BLGW is trying to force a maintained connection to have the 2-way communication to show the lights' status in the tv menu. The MLGW offers a command "type" of sending just an outgoing command and not having a "both ways" connection. This is what is needed for the Philips Hue. You might just try a custom string for a scene command and see how it works. Even if it takes a minute for the BLGW to get out of the "loop" it might be worth it. Also, a call to BeoCare providing them with the custom string and explaining the problem of the connection loop might get you a quick solution.

Having control over the scenes really is ideal. Mine work perfectly. I have probably 2 dozen stored on my MLGW and on my Beo6 -- complete with picture icons on the Beo6 for each scene. With this, my life has become the ideal of "BeoLiving." When my greyhound dog wakes me in the morning, I grab my Beo6 from the nightstand and select a scene -- such as "Tahitian Sunrise." the Philips Hue lights provide a very pleasant pathway for me to talk to the kitchen to make espresso while listening to my favorite N.RADIO station. Philips Hue lightstrips provide just enough light under the cabinets to prepare the espresso. Not too much light until I've fully woken up. Whey I walk into the bathroom, I select the BeoLab 3500 in the bathroom to pick up the N.RADIO station and select a light scene on the wall-mounted Beo6 in the bathroom for the shower. With a Philips Hue light in the bathroom and another in the shower, I can create a beautiful, relaxing light scene of blues, violets, etc., in which to shower. The perfect shower! When I walk out the door to leave, I do a long press on a button on the Essence Wall Remote next to the door to put the lights and music all into standby. When I come home, I select one of the buttons on the Essence Wall Remote to select one of several light scenes. When I sit down to watch tv, I reach for a Beo6 and select the icon of one of the light scenes to dim the lights to that scene. When I select "CINEMA" mode on the Beo6 for the BeoSystem 3, the lights near the projector screen slowly turn off while the screen lowers to watch a movie from the projector. When the movie is over, the screen retracts and the lights automatically come back on. When I climb into bed, I turn on the BeoVision 10 in the bedroom and Philips Hue Bloom lamps on the floor shine a pleasant, dim light on the wall behind the Beovision 10. If I want to read in bed, I press a button on the Beo6 that turns on just the nightstand lamp to reading level. I set the timer on the BeoTime to turn off the Hue lights and the BeoVision 10 after a specified time. Then, the greyhound wakes me up for another day.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Installed on a blanking plate :)

The fun begins when my iPad is charged

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member

Hi Jeff

thanks you for the brilliant reply, you are defiantly living the beo living lifestyle. I love this also.

i will now search for you original post to see if I can work out how to call a scene.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 10:38 PM

Seanie_230:

Hi Jeff

thanks you for the brilliant reply, you are defiantly living the beo living lifestyle. I love this also.

i will now search for you original post to see if I can work out how to call a scene.

Let me know if I can be of any help. Remember that you need to follow the short Philips Hue API tutorial. It will show you how to use the bridge's debug utility that shows you what the ID code is for each of your scenes. You need the scenes' ID codes to place in the custom string. BTW, each time you make any modification to a scene, the ID code will change and you'll need to look in the debug utility to find the new ID code to replace the old one on your custom string.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, Mar 18 2015 12:12 PM

Beojeff, I need your help, too. Big Smile

I can controll the HUE lights from the Beo 4 and 5 but they are not related to any room. If I choose "any room" in MLGW setup, every command works fine. But when I specify a room (e.g. "bedroom") there's no reaction to light commands.

I want to use the red and green buttons of the Beo 4 in any room for simple light on/off commands. So the use of the green button of Beo 4 in the bedroom should ONLY switch on the lights in the bedroom while the use of the green button of the Beo 4 in the livingroom should only activate the lights in the livingroom.

How can I achieve that?

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS