Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 9 compared to Beolab 20

rated by 0 users
This post has 113 Replies | 0 Followers

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

butch1:
Geoff,car audio aside,why has it took so long for B&o to bring more dsp speakers to the range?

Hi,

I'm not sure that I understand the meaning of this question. If you're asking why we didn't release DSP-based loudspeakers before BeoLab 5 - then I can't give you an answer, since that goes back to a time before I started working here.

If you're asking something else, could you please clarify the question.

Cheers

-geoff

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 7:41 PM

Geoff-

While we have you in this thread, I've always been curious what your thoughts are about the BeoLab 1. The BeoLab 1 seems to be perhaps the most controversial speaker from B&O. People either love it or hate it. Many find it to be a very crisp and "precise" speaker. While others find the precision to be TOO perfect and perhaps even describe it as cold and clinical. As tonmeister, what are you thoughts about the BeoLab 1?

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 8:00 PM

Jeff,over the years I have demoed many CD players,and transports and dacs,in a home setting.I am not interested in reviews and lab tests,my ears are my judge.

I still think to this day that the linn cd12 was the best sounding CD player I have heard,but was surpassed by my linn klimax ds,so it shows how technology has involved.I follow the linn path of source first,but that's me.I bought my 9000 as its a piece of art along with 8000s, not for the sound quality.

My question to Geoff was,if he has been involved in dsp systems for 13 years with B&o,why have they only got beolab 5 and 20 as full digital active dsp models.B&o expertise in dsp lies with automotive systems at this stage,were as meridians is home based,just my opinion.

Also like I have said,I am a B&o owner for years and will continue to be,and if they brought out a system that would be better than my linn exakt,I would change in a flash.I like simple well designed matching systems, that's why I love active designs from B&o,meridian and linn only.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 8:22 PM

butch1:

Jeff,over the years I have demoed many CD players,and transports and dacs,in a home setting.I am not interested in reviews and lab tests,my ears are my judge.

I still think to this day that the linn cd12 was the best sounding CD player I have heard,but was surpassed by my linn klimax ds,so it shows how technology has involved.I follow the linn path of source first,but that's me.I bought my 9000 as its a piece of art along with 8000s, not for the sound quality.

My question to Geoff was,if he has been involved in dsp systems for 13 years with B&o,why have they only got beolab 5 and 20 as full digital active dsp models.B&o expertise in dsp lies with automotive systems at this stage,were as meridians is home based,just my opinion.

Also like I have said,I am a B&o owner for years and will continue to be,and if they brought out a system that would be better than my linn exakt,I would change in a flash.I like simple well designed matching systems, that's why I love active designs from B&o,meridian and linn only.

All of the recent WISA speakers, such as BL18, are "full digital active dsp models".

Ban boring signatures!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
butch1:

If you want a B&O speaker that can match Linn or Meridian, you wait is nearly over.........

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Puncher:

butch1:

All of the recent WISA speakers, such as BL18, are "full digital active dsp models".

How about the BS8 Smile

Read about the development process here:

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2013/11/27/bo-tech-loudspeaker-development-process/

Or how about the: 

BeoLit 12, the BeoVision 11 series, the BeoVision 12, and the BeoVision Avant, the BeoLab 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. and (as butch1 mentioned) 20, the BeoPlay V1

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:01 PM
Chris Townsend:

If you want a B&O speaker that can match Linn or Meridian, you wait is nearly over......... Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Beovision 8-32, Avant RF 28, Beolab 8000, Beolit 12, Beoplay A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H6, Form 2.

Are you saying there is a new speaker about to be unveiled?

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:12 PM
Razlaw:

I'm invited to an event later this month.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:14 PM

Razlaw:
a new speaker

.........or possibly the new speaker!!!

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Michael:
Razlaw:

Which kind of event?

Did they 'tease' in any way - since you mention 'an event' in this context?

MM

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:28 PM
Michael:

The only one I am invited this month is the love affair collection
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Razlaw:

Audiophiles of the world, prepare to have your ugly boxes blown away by something better looking, more advanced and better sounding.

Beolab 5's would make adequate satellites I guessCool

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

vlohjr1:

The only one I am invited this month is the love affair collection

Me too!

MM

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Razlaw:

Beolab 5's would make adequate supplementary speakers, I guess. Possibly satellites Cool

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:46 PM

Fascinating news!   I guess I should hold off on the new pair of 20s I was looking at.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Let's just hope your wallet is six times bigger!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:16 PM

Chris Townsend:
Let's just hope your wallet is six times bigger!

Surely you're joking... but your earlier comment "Beolab 5's as satellites" may justify the one above... WOWZA! I can't way to see what B&O have in store. And then avalanche of armchair criticism, of which I'm sure I'll have a bit. Cool

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Bigger and better than even most audiophiles could wish for, but they'll still hate it because it won't look wooden and boxy!

But not too bigErm..

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
butch1:

✂️

✂️

I agree a Linn Exakt (especial when the room profiling is activated) makes a big difference.

However I have yet to get a proper explanation from Linn as to what their magic source/sauce is.

I have a suspicion they are enhancing the sound (as opposed to B&O's "natural sound" ethos).

Do you any insights or a particular view ?

And have listened to the OPPO (105??)

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 5:43 AM

Chris Townsend:
Bigger and better than even most audiophiles could wish for, but they'll still hate it because it won't look wooden and boxy!

But not too bigErm..

Although I have to say I've always been fond of the look of huge horns like that, especially the modern looking ones, as well as large tube amps with the tubes exposed. A different aesthetic to B&O but cool all the same.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Not as cool or big as this...

http://youtu.be/TiWNw0A1Ijg

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

butch1:

Now I understand why I didn't understand the question... Your list of B&O speakers with DSP has some holes in it...

Millemissen:
Or how about the:  BeoLit 12, the BeoVision 11 series, the BeoVision 12, and the BeoVision Avant, the BeoLab 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. and (as butch1 mentioned) 20, the BeoPlay V1

Thanks for the list, MM!

As I said in an earlier reply in this thread - all of the loudspeakers I have help to work on since I started in the A/V division at B&O. Thanks to you, I have the list. Maybe I should get you to proof-read my resumé the next time I update it. ;-)

By the way, you forgot the BeoPlay A9...

There are also the ones I haven't worked on - like the BeoPlay A2 and the BeoLit 15. Even the H8 headphones have some DSP-based filtering in there...

Cheers

-g

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Barry Santini:
BeoBoy68:

Asking myself when we will see new loudspeakers in Bang & Olufsen's range ?

Is allways Geoff Martin working for B&O ?

There were rumors last spring of him leaving for Sony. But his active participation here and on hi so blog with bno postings suggests probably not.

I can't wait for the 5 replacement. If that one can hit 10hz with only a -3db roll off, I'll be in organ heaven!

B

B&O better get their act together because there's an eminent threat on the ocean front with the name of Devialet backed by LVMH... 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I must have got a different Devialet. The one I saw just sold a subwoofer and some ampsErm..

Which one does WISA speakers, a range of integrated televisions, headphones and AirPlay speakers?

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

beojeff:

Geoff-

While we have you in this thread, I've always been curious what your thoughts are about the BeoLab 1. The BeoLab 1 seems to be perhaps the most controversial speaker from B&O. People either love it or hate it. Many find it to be a very crisp and "precise" speaker. While others find the precision to be TOO perfect and perhaps even describe it as cold and clinical. As tonmeister, what are you thoughts about the BeoLab 1?

Sorry. I'm not going to answer that question, since I never talk about my personal preferences on BeoWorld. I'm only here to clear up technical information..

However, from your description, I don't think that those people are disagreeing - they're only discussing personal taste. I like cream and sugar in my coffee because it makes the coffee taste creamier and sweeter. Some people will argue that the problem with cream and sugar is that it makes the coffee taste creamier and sweeter...

Cheers

-g

js
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 382
Bronze Member
js replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 12:37 PM

Razlaw:

Beolab 9 compared to Beolab 20

Anyone about the original question? I confess am curious about this topic Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Geoff Martin:

Millemissen:
Or how about the:  BeoLit 12, the BeoVision 11 series, the BeoVision 12, and the BeoVision Avant, the BeoLab 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. and (as butch1 mentioned) 20, the BeoPlay V1

Thanks for the list, MM!

As I said in an earlier reply in this thread - all of the loudspeakers I have help to work on since I started in the A/V division at B&O. Thanks to you, I have the list. Maybe I should get you to proof-read my resumé the next time I update it. ;-)

By the way, you forgot the BeoPlay A9...

There are also the ones I haven't worked on - like the BeoPlay A2 and the BeoLit 15. Even the H8 headphones have some DSP-based filtering in there...

Cheers

-g

Dear Geoff,

you don't have to credit me for 'the list' - actually it was snatched from a text, that you yourself wrote:

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/about/

That way it was quite easy for me to post it.

Sorry for letting out the A9 Embarrassed

Still - I think the (incomplete) list was pretty impressive!

P.S.

For those, who want to know more about DSP in the speakers (and in the audio part of the BSys4 engine) of B&O ------- just go to the Geoff blog site, and type in 'DSP' in the search field.

Lots to read and to learn.

MM

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 4:49 PM

I am not talking about television speakers and I will stand by my statement,the lab 20s and 5s are the only ones on the list capable of competing with meridian.

I have a beiplay a8 and beosound 8 but they don't sound as good as an older meridian f80,but I prefer the b&o look.

To Chris with the audiophile wooden box comment,have you ever looked at piano black klimax 350a and seen the build quality and looks but more importantly the sound is in a different league.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 4:51 PM

mm dont you work with Geoff? with them comments I am sure you do.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
"To Chris with the audiophile wooden box comment,have you ever looked at piano black klimax 350a and seen the build quality and looks but more importantly the sound is in a different league."

They do look smashing, and at twice the price of some 5's so they should be. Reference different leagues, just wait a few moe weeksYes - thumbs up

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 7:19 PM

I look forward to it Chris.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 7:19 PM

butch1:

I am not talking about television speakers and I will stand by my statement,the lab 20s and 5s are the only ones on the list capable of competing with meridian.

Let me say, I've not heard the new B&O yet, and haven't heard meridian in a while, but I can believe that you're right. When you get to the B&O products below the 9/20 and 5, there are more compromises made to function to conform to form, although I think for what each is size wise and design they do exceptionally well. But in comparison with a company that puts the function part of the form/function relation as much more important, yeah, I can see where some lower range Beolabs won't be as good sonically. I will also say that, put in a room with the same care and attention to placement and room acoustics, which few in general and perhaps more B&O users on average don't do, they can be better than you think. I've had my old BL8000s set up in a smaller room with good acoustics, the room also had a lot of bass lift due to its size which helped the 8000s a lot, but setup well they sounded far better than even I thought they would. Imaging, depth, and midrange were all stunningly good, which is what a lot of mini monitors aim for. They were like very good minimonitors you didn't need stands for.

You made another comment about hearing differences, I dont' doubt that you do, I've heard what I would have described as very large differences between different components. I've also had the sobering experience of seeing my ability to tell these differences go away in controlled tests. I don't know for the items you describe if there are differences that would make them sonically different enough to survive a rigorous test, maybe so. However if so I believe it will be measurable and understandable. Different designers have different ideas, say in digital, as to how the sampling and post reconstruction filtering should be done, and different ideas about noise, power supply design, analog output stages, etc. Some play the game, some do what they do because they seriously believe it's a superior technical approach. And it may be, it just seems to seldom make a truly detectable difference in sound, perhaps because the human ear is not nearly as good a test tool as some electronics, they can detect things people can never hear, very small changes in distortion, etc.

But it keeps the arguments and discussions constantly ongoing, so everyone gets an opportunity at an Internet social life! The LP vs. CD brouhaha is still ongoing after30 odd years.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 9:54 PM

A dealer today told me no new speaker until next year. But we here in the US are probably the last to know about something new from B and O. LOL

I am very curious to see what the new speaker is and how soon it will be revealed.

Are the invitations mentioned here for unveiling to the public of private dealer previews?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Mar 5 2015 9:56 PM

Sorry wanted to edit last post but edit function does not work. Anybody else having problems with editing?

A dealer today told me no new speaker until next year. But we here in the US are probably the last to know about something new from B and O. LOL

I am very curious to see what the new speaker is and how soon it will be revealed.

Are the invitations mentioned here for unveiling to the public or private dealer previews?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:42 AM
I believe the invitations are from dealers to existing clients for the anniversary announcements such as the rose gold range

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

elephant:
I believe the invitations are from dealers to existing clients for the anniversary announcements such as the rose gold range

Exactly!

Nothing new - just a celebration...

....and the rose gold coloured products.

MM

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

elephant:

Rose Gold... I expected at least real gold plating... Wink

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
I must have got a different Devialet. The one I saw just sold a subwoofer and some ampsErm..

Which one does WISA speakers, a range of integrated televisions, headphones and AirPlay speakers?

Wasn't a subwoofer you saw. It's a WiFi speaker you saw on the website. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

wonderfulelectric:

Chris Townsend:

Wasn't a subwoofer you saw. It's a WiFi speaker you saw on the website. 

You think Bernard Arnault is going to let Devialet stay as a specialty amp manufacturer? It's amplifiers are largely software driven so think about the implications...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 10:52 AM
wonderfulelectric:

Rose Gold... I expected at least real gold plating...

What !!!

You want a watch ?

Cool

BeoNut since '75

Page 2 of 3 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS