Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 9 compared to Beolab 20

rated by 0 users
This post has 113 Replies | 0 Followers

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:52 PM
Following up on the original question of this thread, and expanding it to include the Beolab 5,......

I have read online that the frequency response of the Beolab 5 is 20-20,000khz while the Beolab 20 is 19.5-23,600 khz. Does the 20 really have a wider frequency range than the 5?

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:54 PM
To Chris I tried responding to your pm both by email and pm.....don't know if they worked.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 2:42 PM

Razlaw:
Following up on the original question of this thread, and expanding it to include the Beolab 5,......

I have read online that the frequency response of the Beolab 5 is 20-20,000khz while the Beolab 20 is 19.5-23,600 khz. Does the 20 really have a wider frequency range than the 5?

It is many years newer so it is not impossible. But there is not only Hz to think about but also dB. It might play 19.5 Hz but not at volumes as high as the BeoLab 5 can, at least that is what I would believe.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Michael:
But there is not only Hz to think about but also dB. It might play 19.5 Hz but not at volumes as high as the BeoLab 5 can, at least that is what I would believe.

This is correct.

If you ignore sound pressure level, a 1" tweeter can be EQ'ed to have a wider frequency range than a BeoLab 5. However, it would only be able to have that response at a VERY low sound pressure level. As soon as you start turning up the volume, you'd have to start pulling back the bass in order to keep the driver within its excursion limits.

So, at a lower listening level, we tuned the BL20 to have a measurably wider frequency range than the BL5. However, if you turn up the volume, the BL5 can play much louder.

For a more thorough explanation of this, see this article.

On the other hand, a difference of 19.5 Hz and 20 Hz is not much (a third of a semitone, give or take...). Neither is 23.6 kHz vs. 20 kHz (2 semitones - assuming we can talk about semitones at that frequency...) No point in getting into a serious debate over excruciating minutiae...

For more info on how we measure frequency range, see this article.

Cheers

-geoff

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 3:22 PM

Thanks Geoff!  I so very much appreciate all of the information you provide. I hope you do not mind if I ask another question.  My BV7-55 has not had a software update for a few years. I live three hours away from the nearest dealer so the cost of an update can be quite high. Due to no recent updates, I am not able to select 12-3s in the menu. I have my rear 12-3s set as 9s in the menu. I did this as I thought perhaps setting to an ALT speaker would be appropriate and thought the 3s seemed to small. Also, if I replace my front 9s with 20s, I assume the best setting would be to set the 20s as 9s.

How important is it to have the exact speakers in the menu?  Would there be much difference in sound if I had the software updated?

Thanks!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That's a good question - especially for all those with 'old' BV's 👍

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Michael:

Razlaw:

It is many years newer so it is not impossible. But there is not only Hz to think about but also dB. It might play 19.5 Hz but not at volumes as high as the BeoLab 5 can, at least that is what I would believe.

Don't forget about cabinet construction, distortion, damping and all the whistles that go along making hi fidelity. Those definitely play a huge role. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

elephant:
wonderfulelectric:

Rose Gold... I expected at least real gold plating...

What !!!

You want a watch ?

Cool

Watch is solid gold.

Gold-plating is not that expensive except perhaps B&O will need to create a huge electroplating facility to accommodate like what they did for aluminum.

Check out Goldmund. A little too sky high but you get the idea. B&O should at least be moving up. People are spending increasingly more on electronics and luxury electronics are earning money whereas fashion is losing. So why isn't B&O jumping in on that? Perhaps B&O need someone who understand luxury to come do a style editing. Wink

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Geoff Martin:

Michael:
But there is not only Hz to think about but also dB. It might play 19.5 Hz but not at volumes as high as the BeoLab 5 can, at least that is what I would believe.

This is correct.

If you ignore sound pressure level, a 1" tweeter can be EQ'ed to have a wider frequency range than a BeoLab 5. However, it would only be able to have that response at a VERY low sound pressure level. As soon as you start turning up the volume, you'd have to start pulling back the bass in order to keep the driver within its excursion limits.

So, at a lower listening level, we tuned the BL20 to have a measurably wider frequency range than the BL5. However, if you turn up the volume, the BL5 can play much louder.

For a more thorough explanation of this, see this article.

On the other hand, a difference of 19.5 Hz and 20 Hz is not much (a third of a semitone, give or take...). Neither is 23.6 kHz vs. 20 kHz (2 semitones - assuming we can talk about semitones at that frequency...) No point in getting into a serious debate over excruciating minutiae...

For more info on how we measure frequency range, see this article.

Cheers

-geoff

I am still waiting for the ALT lens to be fully exploited by have an oversized mid-tweeter to go down to below 800HZ. When will that day come? Complete coherence and 180 degrees sound dispersion in the ears most critical listening frequency range. Beyond coaxial. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Jeff:

butch1:

I am not talking about television speakers and I will stand by my statement,the lab 20s and 5s are the only ones on the list capable of competing with meridian.

Let me say, I've not heard the new B&O yet, and haven't heard meridian in a while, but I can believe that you're right. When you get to the B&O products below the 9/20 and 5, there are more compromises made to function to conform to form, although I think for what each is size wise and design they do exceptionally well. But in comparison with a company that puts the function part of the form/function relation as much more important, yeah, I can see where some lower range Beolabs won't be as good sonically. I will also say that, put in a room with the same care and attention to placement and room acoustics, which few in general and perhaps more B&O users on average don't do, they can be better than you think. I've had my old BL8000s set up in a smaller room with good acoustics, the room also had a lot of bass lift due to its size which helped the 8000s a lot, but setup well they sounded far better than even I thought they would. Imaging, depth, and midrange were all stunningly good, which is what a lot of mini monitors aim for. They were like very good minimonitors you didn't need stands for.

You made another comment about hearing differences, I dont' doubt that you do, I've heard what I would have described as very large differences between different components. I've also had the sobering experience of seeing my ability to tell these differences go away in controlled tests. I don't know for the items you describe if there are differences that would make them sonically different enough to survive a rigorous test, maybe so. However if so I believe it will be measurable and understandable. Different designers have different ideas, say in digital, as to how the sampling and post reconstruction filtering should be done, and different ideas about noise, power supply design, analog output stages, etc. Some play the game, some do what they do because they seriously believe it's a superior technical approach. And it may be, it just seems to seldom make a truly detectable difference in sound, perhaps because the human ear is not nearly as good a test tool as some electronics, they can detect things people can never hear, very small changes in distortion, etc.

But it keeps the arguments and discussions constantly ongoing, so everyone gets an opportunity at an Internet social life! The LP vs. CD brouhaha is still ongoing after30 odd years.

I don't think Meridians are all that. Having owned the F80 which far underperforms the A8 btw and seeing the prices of the 2nd loudspeakers online.... I have come to find it is a very overpriced brand. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
butch1:

Jeff,over the years I have demoed many CD players,and transports and dacs,in a home setting.I am not interested in reviews and lab tests,my ears are my judge.

I still think to this day that the linn cd12 was the best sounding CD player I have heard,but was surpassed by my linn klimax ds,so it shows how technology has involved.I follow the linn path of source first,but that's me.I bought my 9000 as its a piece of art along with 8000s, not for the sound quality.

My question to Geoff was,if he has been involved in dsp systems for 13 years with B&o,why have they only got beolab 5 and 20 as full digital active dsp models.B&o expertise in dsp lies with automotive systems at this stage,were as meridians is home based,just my opinion.

Also like I have said,I am a B&o owner for years and will continue to be,and if they brought out a system that would be better than my linn exakt,I would change in a flash.I like simple well designed matching systems, that's why I love active designs from B&o,meridian and linn only.

If you want a B&O speaker that can match Linn or Meridian, you wait is nearly over.........

Very interesting... Can't wait!

Smile

Anyway speaking of Linn they have such a great upgrade scheme/plan that perhaps B&O should look into developing for the core range. It's high profit margin and not to mention good for the environment. B&O has the sales/maintenance network available to deploy that strategy readily. 

In regards to CD player.... No... Digital sources do not sound the same. Download music software and you will quickly realize any change in the filtering method immediately changes the sound quality. Source quality matters but now the source is in the streaming. 

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 6:48 PM
Razlaw:

Thanks Geoff! I so very much appreciate all of the information you provide. I hope you do not mind if I ask another question. My BV7-55 has not had a software update for a few years. I live three hours away from the nearest dealer so the cost of an update can be quite high. Due to no recent updates, I am not able to select 12-3s in the menu. I have my rear 12-3s set as 9s in the menu. I did this as I thought perhaps setting to an ALT speaker would be appropriate and thought the 3s seemed to small. Also, if I replace my front 9s with 20s, I assume the best setting would be to set the 20s as 9s.

How important is it to have the exact speakers in the menu? Would there be much difference in sound if I had the software updated?

Thanks!

Hello Razlaw,

I guess the latest software for BV 7 is still build 1112 without BL 12 or BL 20 in speaker setup menu.

Regards

Räuber

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 7:00 PM

Really?  That surprises me but would solve the issue of whether to have the update done or not.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 7:44 PM
Razlaw:

Really? That surprises me but would solve the issue of whether to have the update done or not.

I got this info in September last year. Build 1112 had been released in 2012.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 1:07 AM
Dealer confirmed to me today to use the setting for 9s for 20s. Very disappointing to me that B and O do not support 20s on BS3 based systems. I am inclined to forget about getting 20s and just stick with my 9s. I realize there is a great deal of similarity between 9s and 20s but they are different speakers. My V1 recognizes the difference so there must be some difference in how the sound is processed for the two speakers.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
Razlaw:

Dealer confirmed to me today to use the setting for 9s for 20s. Very disappointing to me that B and O do not support 20s on BS3 based systems. I am inclined to forget about getting 20s and just stick with my 9s. I realize there is a great deal of similarity between 9s and 20s but they are different speakers. My V1 recognizes the difference so there must be some difference in how the sound is processed for the two speakers.

I would also bet there is a massive difference in how the V1 handles the sound versus the BS3 based system. Plus of course it's a lot harder to deliver a firmware update without the dealer getting involved.

I found a massive difference going from a BS3 system with my speakers going to a BS4 - it took me by complete surprise. The difference is massive.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mawheele:

I found a massive difference going from a BS3 system with my speakers going to a BS4 - it took me by complete surprise. The difference is massive.

That is exactly the reason, why those who claim that B&O should concentrate on making loudspeakers, are talking nonsense.

The 'audioengine' in the BSys4-based products is a very important part of the new B&O speakers philosophy/experience.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 10:04 AM
If the BS4 is such an improvement, that raises another question for me....Would I receive more improvement in sound by replacing 9s with 20s and keeping my BV7, or by keeping the 9s and replacing the BV7 with an Avant?

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Razlaw:

I would suggest that you try telling the BS3 that you have BL5's instead of BL9's if you're connecting the 20's.

The principal reasons for this are (1) latency (the BL20 has a latency that is closer to the BL5 than the 9) and (2) the bass management decisions.

However, note that if you have 20's and a BL2 - the BS3 will then decide to not bass manage to the BL2 if you tell it that it's connected to BL5's. This is also what a V1 would do - so it's the "better" decision to make - however, if you have a BL2 and you want it to help the 20's then you should choose the BL9 in the menus and add about 1.51 m to their Speaker Distance to correct for latency.

Regarding the comparison between BS3 and BS4 (including V1, BV11, BV Avant) - these are COMPLETELY different beasts. The entire audio signal path and its various processing blocks were re-designed from scratch for the BS4 series of devices - so, in my opinion, there's no point in trying to compare them directly.

Cheers

-geoff

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 12:32 PM
Will there be no update for Beosystem 3 and BSys3-based TV's in the future to select all the new Beolabs in speaker setup menu??
butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 12:34 PM

That is exactly the reason, why those who claim that B&O should concentrate on making loudspeakers, are talking nonsense.

The 'audioengine' in the BSys4-based products is a very important part of the new B&O speakers philosophy/experience.

MM

I will agree with MM on this one,Processor/pre amps etc are one of the most importants aspects in the chain.

You can have the best source and speakers, but the processor/pre amp is the one extracting and controlling the information.

Many years ago i was contemplating changing my linn speakers, I kept them, as they sounded loads better when I changed the pre amp to a upgraded model,it gave the speakers a new lease of life.

Also when you connect beolabs directly to a beosound they sound beter than connecting to a older beovision with bs2 or something.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 1:07 PM
Razlaw:

If the BS4 is such an improvement, that raises another question for me....Would I receive more improvement in sound by replacing 9s with 20s and keeping my BV7, or by keeping the 9s and replacing the BV7 with an Avant?

Might be you receive a little improvement in sound quality if you replace your BV 7-55 with an Avant. But you are no longer owner of a television with an outstanding picture quality, that's for sure!

Regards

Räuber
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Says Räuber Whistle

MM

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 1:36 PM
Millemissen:

Says Räuber

MM

Who is not blind when comparing the picture quality of BV 7-55 and Avant side by side last year.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 4:00 PM
So you think the 7-55 has a better picture than the Avant? What about a BV11?

mf22433
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
mf22433 replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 5:16 PM

Did you compare different types of source (SD. HD) ?

I just received and installed an Avant 55 (on table stand) with a pair of 18 and one 19. I cannot compare to previous Beovision's as it is my first B&O but the picture is much better than my 2 years old Sony Bravia KDL-55HX920.  On SD sources, the image is a bit soft (but still very nice) but on HD (settop box) and Blu-Ray (Oppo BDP-105D) the image is truly excellent.

At the moment the Avant is not able to handle a 4K upscaled signal coming form the Oppo, I cannot wait for the HDMI 2.0 firmware upgrade (I understood it should be released this month).

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 6:26 PM
I compared picture quality of Avant and BV 7-55 with german broadcast (HD and SD) and with several blurays. Picture quality of BV 7-55 was always better, especially with much motion (football games) it was sharper; also the blacks were deeper. I guess the reason is the required upscaling from SD/HD to 4K. The dealer confirmed BV 7-55 is better.

In my opinion BV 7-55 is one of the best LCD televisions on the planet, the Avant is only one of many 4K tellies on the market.

Regards

Räuber
LR2015
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 6:30 PM

I was blown away by the picture quality of the 11-55 in the shop. Is the 7-55 even better?? Wow.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
Razlaw:

So you think the 7-55 has a better picture than the Avant? What about a BV11?

IMOP The panel in the Avant is stronger than the 11. You see it in the contrast when you see them side by side in the showroom. The 7.55 panel was more expensive, but all other technical aspects are a full generation behind. Usual technology cycle of improvement...
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Both the Avant and 11 use edge lighting which how ever many generations ahead it might be,  is not as good as technology as local dimming used in the  7-55.

The Avant 75 and 85 both have local dimming but don't use as many zones I believe, which is less effective at creating a dark image. 

I've seen the Avant picture many times,  owned an 11-46 and now own a 7-55. The picture is in a different league trust me. 

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Mar 9 2015 7:34 PM
Chris Townsend:

Both the Avant and 11 use edge lighting which how ever many generations ahead it might be, is not as good as technology as local dimming used in the 7-55.

The Avant 75 and 85 both have local dimming but don't use as many zones I believe, which is less effective at creating a dark image.

I've seen the Avant picture many times, owned an 11-46 and now own a 7-55. The picture is in a different league trust me.

That is the truth. The newest technology is not ever the best, sometimes only cheaper to produce.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Mar 11 2015 1:25 AM
Listened to a pair of 20s again today and still want a pair. On the older version, the green light fades out shortly after the speaker starts playing. On the new version where the words Bang and Olufsen illuminate, do they also fade out or do they stay illuminated while playing?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Mar 11 2015 1:31 AM
Can ignore my last question....found answer in the user guide. Says logo turns off after 10 seconds.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Mar 11 2015 1:32 AM
Sorry again, dims after 10 seconds.

Page 3 of 3 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS