Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Controlling BeoIntegration with the Apple Watch

rated by 0 users
This post has 42 Replies | 5 Followers

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff Posted: Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:12 PM

I just received my Apple Watch. It can already control Philips Hue with an app. Unfortunately, the app for Lutron RadioRa 2 has not been finished yet. Something nice about the RadioRa 2 control is that we could use RadioRa 2 phantom buttons to control just about anything through the MLGW/BLGW -- including control of B&O devices. I'm considering connecting an Apple Airport Express to the BeoSound 5 in order to call up songs via Siri on the Apple Watch to play through the BeoSound 5 using AirPlay.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 11:00 AM
Or an Apple TV ... which is what I was using last night

BeoNut since '75

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 11:21 AM

Well, you can try my app ;-)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/linkremote-for-mlgw/id988562611?ls=1&mt=8

I don't have my watch yet, so please let me know how it goes.

P.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 12:39 PM

Phil-

I've installed your app and it looks GREAT on the Apple Watch! However, I can't get it to work. It has connected successfully with my MLGW, but it isn't showing any rooms to control. All I see is the demo room. How do you add rooms?

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 12:43 PM

Phil,

this is great! Could you do it for Android and the Android Wear watches with round displays, too?

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
beojeff,

I am so jealous you've got the watch and mine hasn't even turned up yet! I ordered it a minute after they opened the website and they haven't even shipped it Super AngrySuper AngrySuper Angry

Which one did you get?

Have you launched the iPhone version of the app and pressed on settings?

TWG, sorry, I don't know anything about android development. But if someone wants to do it I am happy to explain how it works.

Everyone else,

The app also works on an iPhone or iPad without the watch. It needs a mlgw or blgw.

I was only able to test it on my blgw, so I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if it works for them on their phone or iPad.

The interface on the phone isn't great, and doesn't bring much more than the beolink app, but you need to ship an iPhone app in order to ship a watch app. The only cool thing is that it comes with a Today extension, so you can call a mini remote control from the lock screen or from any app by swiping down.

P.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 1:01 PM

elephant:
Or an Apple TV ... which is what I was using last night

I, too, used the Apple Watch to control my Apple TV connected to my tv last night. I find that an Airport Express is better to use for just streaming audio.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
Oh, and he is a little video of an early version of the app:

http://youtu.be/423WVCCwbDk

The shipped version looks a lot cooler and supports Macro buttons.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 1:20 PM

Phil-

I, too, bought it the minute after they opened the website. For me, that was at 4:00 a.m.! I actually set my BeoTime alarm to get me up to make the purchase. I got the 42mm milenese loop. The fit is great. It's very comfortable.I'd like to buy some leather bands soon, too. My initial gripe with the watch is that in order to use Apple Pay, you have to use a passcode -- which is a total pain to have to unlock your watch every time you use it. Therefore, I'm choosing not to use the Apple Pay feature so that I don't need to keep unlocking my watch.

Your app looks GREAT on the watch. The interface you designed seems ideal. I was able to connect it to my MLGW using the settings on the iPhone app. However, it only shows your demo zone. Using your demo zone, I can sometimes (not always) get the video source to switch to DTV and can sometimes (not always) put everything into standby. That's all I can get it to do, though. I'm guessing that when the app connects with the MLGW that is should automatically show all of the zones, sources, and scenes from the MLGW?

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
I went for the steal version with a black rubber band, and I just read that this is one of the model that hasn't shipped yet. I'll have to be patient!

The app connects to the mlgw for sending commands, but also it needs to retrieve the configuration. This last part isn't working obviously. I'll try and come up with some way of testing something.

As I only tested in on a Beolink gateway, not a master link gateway, I wonder if this is the issue. I might visit a dealer and ask to test.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
beojeff:

initial gripe with the watch is that in order to use Apple Pay, you have to use a passcode

It's not suppose to be like that.

In theory you type your passcode in the morning and as long as it knows it's on you (as your heart is beating) it will keep you identified.

There may be a setting, or the loop isn't tight enough and it thinks you've removed the watch.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 1:36 PM

PhilLondon:
beojeff:

initial gripe with the watch is that in order to use Apple Pay, you have to use a passcode

It's not suppose to be like that.

In theory you type your passcode in the morning and as long as it knows it's on you (as your heart is beating) it will keep you identified.

There may be a setting, or the loop isn't tight enough and it thinks you've removed the watch.

That's good to know. I had been unlocking it while it was charging -- off of my wrist. I'll have to play around with it some more.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 1:40 PM

For those who might be interested in how the Philips Hue app works on the Apple Watch:

The Philps Hue app is really pretty basic. It only shows the same scenes that are shown in the iPhone widget. The scenes are limited to 10 scenes. There is no individual lamp control or control to adjust the brightness.

Luton currently only has the app to control the Caseta system. I called Lutron and they told me that they are still working on the app to control RadioRa 2 and expect it to be release very soon. 

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Could you please try this:

Go there, on your PC or Mac. Enter the name and password when prompted and send me the realist file at philrobin at mac dot com

http://blgw.local./mlgwpservices.json

P.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 2:46 PM

PhilLondon:

Could you please try this:

Go there, on your PC or Mac. Enter the name and password when prompted and send me the realist file at philrobin at mac dot com

http://blgw.local./mlgwpservices.json

P.

The address was not valid. I also tried replacing "blgw" with "mlgw."

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
Replace the server name by the IP address of the gateway.

Do you use a Mac?

P.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 3:24 PM

Yes. I'm  Mac user.

I used the IP address and was prompted for the username and password. However, entering the information, I just got a blank white screen.

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 3:38 PM

TWG:
Could you do it for Android and the Android Wear watches with round displays, too?

Hi,

what do you want to control with the android watch? BLGW or a TV directly?
Some time ago I started working on that but never finished it because there was simply not enough demand for it...

BR,
BeoMotion. 

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 4:16 PM
Add a good N-music/Spotify to Beoport interface or something else that could inject music to ML and it will be perfect!
lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 4:53 PM
The app doesent work for Me with an Iphone and MLGW . It says connected but will not load the rooms. Maybe it do not like IOS 8.3?
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

lonfred:
The app doesent work for Me with an Iphone and MLGW . It says connected but will not load the rooms. Maybe it do not like IOS 8.3?

Try typing http://xxxxxxx/mlgwpservices.json but replace xxxxx by the IP address of your MLGW. A file should download on your computer.

P.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 6:23 PM

PhilLondon:

lonfred:

Try typing http://xxxxxxx/mlgwpservices.json but replace xxxxx by the IP address of your MLGW. A file should download on your computer.

P.

I found the file! I'm emailing it to you right now.

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 7:26 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have done that and downloaded the file but what should I den do with this file?

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Sun, Apr 26 2015 11:01 AM

Thanks to this who sent their files and screenshots.

I have now identified the cause of the issue. MLGW and BLGW uses a different method for authenticating the user. ( http://mark-kirby.co.uk/2013/how-to-authenticate-apis-http-basic-vs-http-digest/ for the curious).

It'll be working on something, so bear with me.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

The fix has been submitted to Apple. It may take a few days to appear on the the Store.

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Sun, Apr 26 2015 8:08 PM
Great! Thanks a lot!!
lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Tue, Apr 28 2015 3:21 AM
Now the rooms are visable and also the scenes list is visable in the front page "whole house" but the scenes is not visable when you are in a source then the scene list is empty. Do I need to setup the MLGW in another way to get the scene list visable also from a source?
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Tue, Apr 28 2015 12:31 PM
I understand what is happening and I'll come up with fix soon.

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Tue, Apr 28 2015 1:01 PM

Linkremote GW vers. 1.1 works with my MLGW .

I did a short test this morning:

- all linkrooms are correctly displayed, but no mainroom (I have 6 linkrooms and 1 mainroom, instead of mainroom there is a "global" zone, which is empty...???

- Scenes lists are shown, but as far as I remember, not correctly (there are too many buttons in some zones - some buttons like "Good night"  or the "blinds" buttons should only appear in certain rooms).

Tested with ipad2(A3), iphone 4s, MLGW sw 2.24b.

Thanks for the great work, Phil (hoping for two way control for BS5 and Spotify in later versions...)

Stefan

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 28 2015 1:21 PM

stefan:

Linkremote GW vers. 1.1 works with my MLGW .

I did a short test this morning:

- all linkrooms are correctly displayed, but no mainroom (I have 6 linkrooms and 1 mainroom, instead of mainroom there is a "global" zone, which is empty...???

- Scenes lists are shown, but as far as I remember, not correctly (there are too many buttons in some zones - some buttons like "Good night"  or the "blinds" buttons should only appear in certain rooms).

Tested with ipad2(A3), iphone 4s, MLGW sw 2.24b.

Thanks for the great work, Phil (hoping for two way control for BS5 and Spotify in later versions...)

Stefan

I'm also finding that my main room (Living Room) is not showing up and that most of the scenes are missing. Still, I love Philippe's design interface. Once the bugs are ironed out, this will be an amazing Apple Watch app!

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 200
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Tue, Apr 28 2015 4:02 PM
This app with Spotify integration from Beoport or Beomaster 5 would be really nice!!
BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Tue, Apr 28 2015 6:56 PM

lonfred:
This app with Spotify integration from Beoport or Beomaster 5 would be really nice!!

There is no chance to control the built in Spotify function of BeoMaster 5 from an external app. 

Only thing possible is to write a piece of software that links a BeoPort to the API of the normal Spotify desktop client and implement a control point that can be accessed from an app.

BR,
BeoMotion. 

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

I finally got my Apple Watch!!! Yeah!

I have also, with Jeff's help solved the issues in the app and a new version is on its way.

Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Apr 29 2015 4:52 PM
Philippe has made a truly great app! I can't see anything that b&o could do with a beolink app that we can't already do with Philippe's app.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Apr 30 2015 4:44 AM
PhilLondon:

I finally got my Apple Watch!!! Yeah!

I have also, with Jeff's help solved the issues in the app and a new version is on its way.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: The Story Mouse . Grignan guide .

Which did you get ?

Mine is a 38 grey sports for cascading to wife when the two-dot-oh arrives.

With a green Kermit band Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Apr 30 2015 3:58 PM

elephant:

Which did you get ?

Mine is a 38 grey sports for cascading to wife when the two-dot-oh arrives.

With a green Kermit band Big Smile

Same philosophy here. Got a 42mm Space gray until 2.0. Wife doesn't wear a watch, but I didn't want to splurge on something I might not like very much as a 1.0 product. The only issue: mine arrives in June. It might be caught in that faulty taptic engine snafu which was reported yesterday as causing supply issues.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

I went for a stainless steal model. I ordered one with a rubber wristband, as I'll use this one for sport, and later on I will probably buy some other type of bracelets.

frank2u
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
frank2u replied on Fri, May 22 2015 7:09 PM
I just checked the App with my new Apple watch Smile. New version is in the store.

It is working very well. Good job. I personally miss the wind, rewind, stop and exit buttons. I know that the size is limited and everybody has other ideas.

Thank you for this great App.

Frank
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

The wind, rewind, stop (pause) buttons are all on this screen.

For the exit button, use force touch and then LIST.

Is that what you were looking for?

frank2u
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
frank2u replied on Fri, May 22 2015 8:29 PM

Hallo Philippe,

I didn't know the force touch for your App. Good to know. Exit is working.

I checked the other buttons on my Beo5. They are mapped as follows:

wind = CNTL_0 and WIND
rewind = CNTL_0 and REWIND
play = PLAY and PLAY

the inner buttons on the Beo5 are:
right = WIND
left = REWIND
go = CNTL_0 and PLAY 

That is why the wind and rewind are not working as I expect. They are the same as right and left. It seems it depends on the interaction between Beo5 and PUC (in this case for a Technisat receiver).

Seems more complex to really support all possibilities. I just want to share this. For me is everything okay. Thank you for your great App.
Frank 

Page 1 of 2 (43 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS