Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

4004 - finally running properly

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew Posted: Mon, May 11 2015 5:08 PM

After a load of problems, I finally have my 4004 running properly and it sounds amazing, big thanks to Dillen for suggesting cleaning the motor and also this forum as a source of information - tried practically everything and today narrowed the last problem down to the capstan that fits on top of the motor - I think it was too high up which caused the belt to rub and slow down. Anyway now it is running I think it will take some time before I can trust it and am now worried about all the other problems people have had with theirs. Owning one of these is a labour of love. Must be one of the beautiful turntables ever made but also living with it so far has been frustrating.

What I did incase anyone has similar problems

Replaced Belt

Cleaned all parts the belt touches

definitely try the relay first, a tap on the board indicates it is this (someone else mentioned this) - mine is now bypassed till I get a replacement

Next Trimmers, replaced the ones on the main board, bypassed the user ones, to no avail

Tried a different 3V DC motor out of a broken BC7700 - ran too fast, no way of slowing it down

Took motor out, cleaned and lubricated

Reseated capstan

Replaced belt with the original (so my replacement new one didn't work properly)

Now that is working i can order the bulbs and parts for my BM2400-2 and commander so that it is a complete system again..

Had to share this success as my friends just start talking about something else whenever I mention it!

Steveric
Not Ranked
France
Posts 29
Bronze Member
Steveric replied on Tue, May 12 2015 4:39 PM

Hello Andrew, thanks to share with us, what you did to solve all your issues with the motor, by the way may I ask you how you lubricated the 3 Volt DC motor ?

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, May 12 2015 4:54 PM

Hi,

I removed it from the beogram and then there are three screws that come out, this is the case and, reveals the motor inside but you need to remove the capstan. then a few more screws and you need to gently remove the inner motor, there was some dirt in there and also on the bushes, cleaned them gently added a drop of oil at the top part and then reassembled - you need to be careful with the bushes and prize them apart when you reassemble. I tried gently pulling the rotor out but it was resistant so I left alone. As a test run I did take another motor apart out of a different machine, as I couldn't find any information on how to do it, so took a chance!, wether by luck or just cleaning and lubricating the deck seems fine now.

The problem with my 4004 was that there seemed to be multiple failures and not one particular problem - I think it had all of them. Anyway, hearing it working properly now and seeing how complex it is I have decided that next time there is a problem, I shall have it serviced properly and maybe one day restored as it has definitely been worth persevering with but I think beyond my capabilities if there is anything else that needs doing.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS