Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beogram 6500 tonearm problem - always drop out of the LP when PLAY

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

danielshen
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
danielshen Posted: Mon, Jun 1 2015 9:12 AM

Dear everybody,

I just got my beogram 6500 LP player machine. And I do have the complicated service manual on hand. However, I always have such problem:

Everytime, when I push PLAY button, the arm is approaching to the LP disc and the pickup is lower down. Then the pickup will always drop out of the LP disc, and of course no music come out; Please kindly  check the link for the video.

I really hope your guy can help me on this. I am very disappointed for this problem.  Please help!

Please kindly use this video link to see the problme - just 42 second.

id XMTI1MjExNTk0OA==.html

Many thanks!

Daniel

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Jun 1 2015 10:17 AM

Daniel, welcome to Beoworld.

Have you tried that cartridge on another Beogram?  It looks (and sounds) as if the suspension is shot.  When the tonearm moves to the right, the cantilever bends a long way rather than the stylus skating over the record.

I assume you have checked that all transport screws are fully undone?  Is the tracking force set correctly for that cartridge?  You really need a stylus weight gauge to do this properly as the inbuilt indicators are notoriously wrong.

If you remove the cartridge, the cantilever should be firm in its suspension.  If the cantilever moves very easily, the cartridge needs rebuilding.

It sets down in the correct place as far as I can see.  Maybe there is a problem with the photo sensing?  I'm sure you'll get some help from one of the techies on here.

Dave.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Mon, Jun 1 2015 11:11 AM

Hi Daniel,

I will second Dave's suggestions, it looks very much like the cantilever suspension on the cartridge has failed. This maybe repairable by Axel in Germany - see https://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC.../MMC-Repair-English/

Welcome to Beoworld!

Lee

danielshen
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member

Dear experts,

First thanks for all the advice! My pickup is MMC2 and unfortunately, I do not have another beogram to test the pickup. 

Based on your information, it' s like the MMC2 need be repaired (you think the ARM is no problem, right)? Am I right?

If that is true for the MMC2, then I think I need send to germany Axel for the repair.

Please kindly confirm that. Many thanks!

Daniel

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

Hi Daniel,

that's what it looks like to me but without actually seeing it, it's a bit difficult.  The cantilever should be firm in it's suspension (rubber mountings) and not be free to move that much from side to side, or up and down.  Your tonearm sets the cartridge onto the vinyl at the correct set down point by the look of it - it's well into the lead in grooves.  But then it seems as if the cantilever collapses sideways a long way.  When you remove it - GENTLY try to move the cantilever and if it 'flops about', that is the problem.  When you find failed suspension it's fairly obvious.

If you send it to Axel, he will assess it and should let you know what needs to be done.  He will test it and if it needs rebuilding, he will do it if you authorise it.  When it's returned, you know that the cartridge is perfect and any further problems must be the tonearm itself.

Nobody said owning these TT's would be cheap!  But, it's well worth it if you're into vinyl (records that is!).

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS