Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New turntable from Gramovox

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member
bidstonhall Posted: Fri, Jun 26 2015 10:48 AM

not sure about this link but doing my best

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable/description

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 11:25 AM

Looks  really interesting, but maybe overcomplicated? Would I want to have to clamp/ unclamp each record, and change speed by physically pulling the belt onto a different pulley?

Looks pretty vulnerable when it comes to potential accidental knocks.

Graham

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
This could look really cool mounted on a wall. Or just sitting at the coffee table.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 1:12 PM
Terrible design. And why oh why would you put speakers in the base?
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Can BeoBoy68 please photoshop a HDR2 over the base?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

bramble
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 397
Bronze Member
bramble replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 3:26 PM
Agree with lee....... Looks horrendousWhistle

Beovision 7 40 mk 5 ,beovision 6x3,   beosound 3000, beogram 3300 , 2 x lc2, 2 x beocom 1401, beocom 6000 x 2,  5 x beo4, 

, 4 x beolab 4's, form 2, h2, a2,a1 and a beolab 2 😀😀

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 3:56 PM

Guys, this is a Bang & Olufsen enthusiast forum.
Please keep discussions B&O related or at least keep discussions about other things in the lifestyle forum.
I will move this thread there.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

On design, no comments, but the mechanics is a disaster waiting to happen, any kind of wear on tonearm or platter bearings will cause problems, and wear will occur caused by the down force, And any change in the vertical level will change the tracking force, spring loaded or not, we all know the inconsistency of spring loaded tracking force from the vertical tracking decks, If the deck is "dance proof" will depend a lot on the vibration dampening, and again we all know that problem from the BG 1000, its not that simple to construct. Furthermore I wonder about the anti skating mechanism, the physical laws tells me that the pressure on the inner side of the record groove will increase the nearer the tonearm comes to the middle, this can be compensated with a progressive acting spring, but the tiniest little wear or misalignment in the tonearm pivot will have big influence on this because of the high cartridge/mount weight. I suggest to the constructors that they go back to the first lessons in mechanical engineering and read a little about Newton. The only way to overcome the tonearm problems is a vertically tracking tonearm with the mechanism set at the top, but then they will loose the floating look. This Gramophone is made for the look and nothing else.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 5:41 PM

Not a new idea, but this one is a bit more visually striking. Panasonic I believe, and several other Japanese companies had similar products over the years, but they were completely enclosed, and used tangential tracking arms, very short. I think the Panasonic one is actually in the MoMA permanent collection. Never really sold though.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Jun 26 2015 6:01 PM

Having backed a few Kickstarter campaigns in my day, I get an email from Kickstarter once a week highlighting 3 projects.  This project was included in the most recent email. 

Argue all you want about the product being rubbish, the fact remains the project is funded and the creators stand to make a decent profit.  While I would never buy one of these personally, I admire the creators and wish them success with the project.

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
Technics SL-10 was beautiful. Yes - thumbs up

http://youtu.be/xv-hLQm4sbM

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 2:52 PM

I dont much care for the design but I think it's great that there is still interest in looking at new ways of playing vinyl and keeping the format alive, and mayb it appeals to a younger generation - hopefully we will see lots of new designs in the future. I always thought the Pro-ject Genie/RPM range to be stunning and B&O Islington actually have a Pro-ject Perspex (not sure what the model is) turntable next to a Moment - it looks stunning.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 5:21 PM

BeoBoy68:
Technics SL-10 was beautiful. Yes - thumbs up

http://youtu.be/xv-hLQm4sbM

I believe this table is in the MoMA permanent collection.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 7:22 PM

Anybody remember this Sony..?

At least it is better looking than the ugly monster from Gramovox...

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Wed, Jul 8 2015 10:58 PM
Steffen:

Anybody remember this Sony..?

At least it is better looking than the ugly monster from Gramovox...

It is The Sony PS-F5 or F9 made in 1983.

Beautiful design Yes - thumbs up
Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS