Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The maestro of car design sell last stake in his company

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo Posted: Fri, Jul 3 2015 7:12 PM

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150702/OEM02/307039992/legendary-car-designer-giugiaro-quits-company-that-bears-his-name

Giugiaro sold nine tenths of his company to Audi (Volkswagen) but has just sold them the rest. He designed over 100 cars in his time but is he the David Lewis of cars?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

Simonbeo:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150702/OEM02/307039992/legendary-car-designer-giugiaro-quits-company-that-bears-his-name

Giugiaro sold nine tenths of his company to Audi (Volkswagen) but has just sold them the rest. He designed over 100 cars in his time but is he the David Lewis of cars?

Designer of Fiat Panda and VW Golf.  Surely not the David Lewis of cars (or have I missed some exotic car designs,from the past?)

Graham

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 10:24 PM

I'd say Isaac Issigonis :) I saw a elegant lady driving a classic red mini today and it looked wonderful on the crowded road of Ford Focuses and all of the other hatchback cars. Also the original Fiat 500 is legendary :) 

It's very sad that all of David Lewis's designs are quietly fading away! You could never call the BeoLit12/15 or A2 pretty (to me, they are damn ugly) or ground breaking in design and that's what B&O were very strong at!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

The David Lewis era was one of superb understatement whilst disguising and packaging things like cathode ray tubes , I suppose. The Mini by Issigonis was the same in a way in that people had to be accommodated with a higher percentage of the volume devoted to them. The Beolit has never been described as pretty and it's relationship to the media it presents is different. It simply relays sound from your i-product with good quality. The rounded Roberts radio look is reflected in the bass reproduction. It looks retro like both the Fiat and the original Mini. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 2:44 PM
So the great maestro may buy Bertone for new venture..... Now that could be a great mix

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS