Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Apple Music "For You"s

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant Posted: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:08 AM
I am fascinated by the range of materials Apple is generating as recommendations.

I set up a family sharing account and upgraded the wife's iPad Mini which only had a few albums including the U2 "gift" that I subsequently deleted.

We then played some opera tracks from her favourite tenors and of course as part of the Apple enrolment process we had hearted opera and Pavarotti.

I may have contaminated the seed on the next day by demonstrating to my son in residence a broader range of music.

None the less I am amazed that a week later there is a rich and diverse set of recommendations for my wife. (See next post's collage). Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:11 AM

Then the above two major recommendations are followed by another SEVEN screens of specific playlist, artist, and album recommendations !

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That may be right for some people.

To others, it is just too much tapping icons, scrolling pages, reading recommendations, before they can listen to the music.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
However there was no tapping ... Maybe 10 as part of registering 2 genres and less than 8 artists

After that it was playing maybe two or three hours of music

Result the recommendations shown ...

To me that was impressive pattern matching -- and my list is completely different

An unanswered question that I have had from day 1 of the moment, is how would its pattern matching cope with diverse music tastes

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 11:07 PM
Some other feedback on 9to5Mac ...

http://9to5mac.com/2015/07/07/apple-music-diary-review-one-week/#more-387820

Ben Lovejoy:

At first, I thought it wasn’t as good as Spotify at music suggestions, but I’ve since concluded that – if the primary aim of a streaming music service is discovering new artists – it’s actually much better. And Apple’s much-vaunted human curation is probably responsible.

Spotify has proven very, very good at learning which artists I like. It plays those artists a lot. A lot of a lot. Which is great for putting on a playlist and not having to touch it until complete. But not actually great for music discovery, as it only introduces me to a handful of new artists.

Apple Music, in contrast, has already introduced me to more than a dozen new artists that I really, really like. For someone whose tastes are decidedly non-mainstream, and very far removed from the Beats 1 fare that we have to assume represents Apple’s view of its primary target, that’s an impressive achievement.

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS