Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

just a funny design story...

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark Posted: Tue, Aug 25 2015 12:25 PM

the thread on Beoworld about how a dog attacked their owners headphones reminded me of this story...

during the styling of TVR's Chimaera sports car, Peter Wheeler, the company owner, brought into work his irish red setter called Ned, one look at the foam scale model that Peter had been carefully sculpturing, Ned decided to dislike it and charged at it, biting a chunk out of the front corner.

Peter liked the new styling feature and incorporated it into production; recess for the front indicators...

always makes me wonder how many great designs came around by chance or evolution .... 

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 25 2015 1:43 PM
Great story and there are some good ones for Graham Chapman and Lotus too. However, I don't think a one eared headphone would be popular as a 'design feature'!

Dave
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 25 2015 3:06 PM

You can't predict animals.

Reminds me of two stories, one classic, one which happened to me.

For me, I went to look at a bike, Yamaha 2 stroke, at an auto garage. Had the usual junkyard dog roaming around. So, the guy fires up the bike, typical 2 stroke sound, and the dog goes absolutely nuts. barking at the bike, and then even biting it on the exhaust pipe. The pipe was hot enough you could hear the dogs lips and tongue sizzle, but it still kept going back and biting the pipe until the guy shut the bike down. Something about the ultrasonics off the reed valves in a 2 stroke is all I could figure.

Second is an alleged performance of Aida conducted by the great Benjamin Britten. They had a smallish live elephant as part of the performance on stage (a tad too much realism I think) and in the middle of the act the thing took a huge dump on stage. Britten allegedly stopped the performance, turned to the audience and apologized, adding "and God what a critic!"

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 25 2015 3:07 PM

And another one, the original Starship Enterprise in the original Star Trek series was supposed to be upside down to the way it eventually was used. Apparently someone turned it over and looked at it upside down from the original design and everyone thought it looked better.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 25 2015 4:08 PM
I once bought what can best be described as a piece of a tree trunk about 6 feet tall artistically mounted on a stand. A piece of natural artwork if you like.

My father knocked it over accidentally, splitting the wood into two long pieces and breaking the stand.

He leant the two pieces against the wall while picking up a few small bits. We all looked at the fractured wood which was casually leaning against the wall and decided it looked even better than intended. They have remained there to this day.
Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Aug 25 2015 5:21 PM

(Moved to People and Lifestyle forum section due to lack of B&O content).

Remember - photos or it didn't happen :-)

Martin

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Aug 26 2015 12:03 AM
And wasn't the ring tone (or even the tubular bells design) of the beo com 2 because a cylinder of aluminium fell off a trolley at Struer and "rang its bell" when it hit the cobblestones ?

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS