Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoVision 7-40 integration for HDMI, Chromecast, Apple TV etc.

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Hockey44
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
Hockey44 Posted: Fri, Dec 25 2015 1:58 PM

Merry Christmas

moving from Switzerland to UK next year and trying to figure out best way to "keep the BeoVision alive" in an era when no HDMI nor USB ports were integrated. What is the best way to retrofit this capability and not degrade picture quality?

i have seen there are now inexpensive RCA to HDMI converters available on Amazon for a fraction of what they costed some years ago.  Is this the best way to do?

thanks

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

If you mean: HDMI TO SCART CONVERTER, yes - you can use one (or more) of these.

But don't expect wonders from the PQ and the sound will be stereo only.

Best start saving for a BV with HDMI inputs ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Hockey44
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
Hockey44 replied on Sat, Dec 26 2015 4:59 PM

Hi again,

is it not possible to use RCA input to add HDMI port and then hopefully picture quality is better? What is the best way to make the Avant 7-40  have a HDMI port that provides best picture? Or is this hopeless?

thanks

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Since you are talking 7-40 without HDMI - which means MK1 or 2 - the only way to use a digital signal, is having a HDMI to DVI adapter for rhe picture and RCA plugs R/L for (analog stereo) sound.

Whether this would work or not, depends on the software of your tv etc. And you would need an HDMI Extractor to have an analog sound output from the devices mentioned above. N.B. with the ATV3 you could use rhe digital sound output, though.

Easiest way to fo would be to use my suggested HDMI to Scart converter - especially if you want to connect multiple HDMI devices.

What exactly do you mean by 'use RCA input to add HDMI port'?

MM

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Does your BV7 have DVI?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Hockey44
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
Hockey44 replied on Sat, Dec 26 2015 9:34 PM

Hi

i have found what appear to be 2 ports that have pins and screw-in.  How can i determine if one is dvi.  I could not see any markings on the port. If this is a dvi port could I use a dvi to hdmi cable?

do you happen to know if anyone has made a diagram of how the wiring is best done?

many thanks

ed

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Dec 26 2015 10:45 PM

Hi,

as far as I know all of the early BV7 have the DVI input.
The second port that you see is most likely the VGA output for connecting a projector.
You will see a description of the sockets on the inner side of the two "flaps" which you have to remove to gain access to the connectors.

Yes, you can use a HDMI -> DVI adapter.
Only if your TV is a "HD ready" version HDCP is supported and you can use it to watch copy-protected contend (e.g. movies via Apple TV).
ATV 2 is known to work but I have heard of problems with ATV3 and 4 (cannot confirm the problems since I never tried 3 or 4).

To expand the possibilities of the DVI input there is a service SW for BV7 available.
This makes it possible to connect a HDMI expander and assign up to 4 sources to 4 external HDMI devices where each can be controlled via PUC.
A SW update consists of replacing two chips and also some flashing. Only your local dealer can help you with this and I always recommend using the SW version 30.XX instead of 7.XX even if no DVB-HD is fitted.  

BR,
BeoMotion. 

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sat, Dec 26 2015 11:47 PM

I used to have a mark2,  I used dvi-Hdmi for Sky HD picture with scart for sound.

I Then used HD fury, component to hdmi converter, for Apple TV 3 picture,  with optical into dac, then rca into TV.

Hockey44
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
Hockey44 replied on Mon, Dec 28 2015 11:04 AM

Thanks for your comments.

i believe but not sure if my Bv7-40 is HD ready.  He can I check this please?

is there a way I could use sky go on the set once I make the HDMI adaptor co figuration and watch sky in HD assuming to is HD ready?

thanks again

Hockey44
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
Hockey44 replied on Tue, Dec 29 2015 5:35 PM

Hello All,

I think I might have a bigger problem than simply the HDMI idea.  My tv is for Switzerland (Secam) and the UK is PAL.  Is there any simple and cheap way to solve this problem or is this a deal killer since you need a new tuner for PAL? I completely forgot Europe and the UK have different broadcast singles.  Would for example Sky Go (if I can figure out a way to get the HDMI and sound issue sorted) work on the TV since it would be a stream rather than satellite broadcast or that option is also useless?

Sorry I didn't think of this earlier.

Thanks

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I have a gefen hdmi expander for the beovision 7 lying around if you want it.

I used it with my BV 7-40 mk2.

Ig you look on the back cover, where the inputs are explained, it should say DVI.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Tue, Dec 29 2015 8:42 PM

SECAM, PAL and NTSC are all systems for analog broadcasting.
This isn't of any interest nowadays since any external box will receive the (digital) DVB stream and output the video either via HDMI/DVI or SCART (analog).
Just don't use the integrated analog tuner builtin your BV7. But I think this isn't an option since an external box connected to either DVI or SCART will be the better option for you.

Maybe you can give us the type number of your TV. Four digits that can be found on a light blue label on the backside of your TV.
With this number we can tell you whether it is a HD ready version or not. 

Nevertheless you really should consider to ask a local dealer in UK to upgrade your TV to the latest SW and flash some common local PUCs (IR controller for external boxes).

BR,
BeoMotion. 

Hockey44
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
Hockey44 replied on Tue, Dec 29 2015 8:52 PM

Hi,

Type No. 9358

Item 1817040

Serial 19079998

I seem to recall making the HD upgrade here in Geneva about 5 years ago for CHF 500.  I am going to check with local B+O tomorrow.

So there "is hope"....but does this mean having to purchasing an external box to act as tuner.

Many thanks,

Hockey44
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
Hockey44 replied on Tue, Dec 29 2015 8:54 PM

Greetings and thanks for the offer.

Let me confirm that I can definitely use the TV in the UK and I will gladly try your Gefen.

Just posted the "type" and waiting for answer.

Many thanks

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Tue, Dec 29 2015 9:03 PM

Type 9358 is BV7-40 MK1 and NOT hd ready.

But if you say that the HD upgrade was installed several years ago then it has become a "HD ready" MK2.
Also your SW should be quite "new" in that case.

Well, analog broadcasting will be stopped anyway within the next years.
So unless your TV has a retrofitted DVB-HD module or an older DVB tuner an external box is definitively the way to go.

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Sat, Oct 22 2016 4:54 PM

Good evening!

I am curious - was there ever a solution to this issue of connecting an HDMI product to the DVI-enabled Beovision 7?

I am very curious! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I am curious about the 'Merry Christmas' ;-?

MM

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS